Black And Whites

saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
edited February 25, 2006 in People
A few black and whites. Portraits of my niece and her new baby boy with my sister, the NEW GRANDMOTHER!

Thanks for looking and comments welcome!

I am laughing at my down-and-dirty job of trying to blur the background (see my face turn red). This was done very quickly (obviously) late last night and I didn't see the problems until just now. Oh well....back the darkroom - lots to learn. (Where did I put that Photoshop For Dummies book anyway????)

57495935-L.jpg

3 generations...

57495934-L.jpg

Same photo cropped for intimacy.

57495936-L.jpg

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    Really wonderful
    These are wonderful. thumb.gifI really like the first one, even if you don't like the PS job you did on it.

I especially like photos like this in B&W, as they have to either stand or fall on the ability of the image to communicate. But, I've been told that I have a bias toward B&W for most images!
  • ButterNutzButterNutz Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    Number 3 does it for me, i love the soft shadowns, and the pose is just right. Maybe try and crop even tighter, taking more out of the bottom.
    :thumbButterNutz!!!:thumb
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    These are wonderful. thumb.gifI really like the first one, even if you don't like the PS job you did on it.

I especially like photos like this in B&W, as they have to either stand or fall on the ability of the image to communicate. But, I've been told that I have a bias toward B&W for most images!

Thanks Scott! I'm biased towards B&W also...it's what made me fall in love with the darkroom so many years ago before PS! Still love it.
    edited February 25, 2006
    ButterNutz wrote:
    Number 3 does it for me, i love the soft shadowns, and the pose is just right. Maybe try and crop even tighter, taking more out of the bottom.

You are probably right about the cropping. I considered it at first then couldn't quite decide where to cut with so many "hands" in the shot. Thank you for your feedback and suggestion.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    They are all nice, I like the first one best. Mostly as I hate blur, used to love it, then suddenly don't like it. I would go light on the blur, as light as possible in case you find yourself in my position: with a whole lot of good photos you wish you hadn't blurred.

A trick I like better now is to darken the background a bit. Not a lot, but enough to naturally separate the two.

I love your avatar! And I do like the photos, your niece with the baby.........she is so young! And I was 19, so I was younger. Those were the days.

Lots of sweetness there.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited February 25, 2006
    Thank you for the kind words, Ginger. I always keep a back-up, unedited copy of my favorite shots before playing around in PS. By the way, I have visited your Pro-Site and it is incredible! Something for me to aspire to, if I should live that long! :D