right on!

down with iTunes!!!

BWG, you got the wrong guy!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    Ready for a manifesto?
    Shay, there have been Home and Pro versions since Windows 95. The Pro version was the NT series (NT3.5, 4, 2000), and the Home version was 95, 98. ME.

This isn't new.

Didn't say it was new, I said it was bad enough. Tolerable, but not ideal. Now they are going over the edge.

Linux: Fair enough, if you've got the time and can put up with the software.
    Ever since XP came out I have been investigating and testing on and off with various linux platforms. So far ubuntu is the best out of the "box" experience. The new version due out in April may be the final version that is "good enough" to make the transition permanent.

Win 2000: I wouldn't advise anyone to move to OS that is going out of security support fairly soon, especially one written my MS. Also note that XP generally has better hardware support than 2000?
    Ok, but tell me, if I want to replace my motherboard (which I need to do) I'm up a creek right? By the way, I use the OEM version of XP since I do all my own building and support.

It's a triffle annoying, but is it really that bad? The only problem I had was resolved within 2 minutes of a free phone call to MS' activation nunber. I wish I could say the same for other products.
    Nannyware! Having to call them to get permission to make changes to the computer is outrageous. Not being able to deactivate the software like adobe photoshop (the least odious activation scheme) is outrageous. Having to buy new OS software because they don't like the hardware changes you have made to your own computer is outrageous. I buy all the OS software I use, I am not opposed to buying what works. But I don't want them controlling what I do with my own box.

They're moving toward an OS rental scheme I am certain. And that's something I will never do. So I have drawn the line in the sand as to where I won't go and where they can't come. They are crossing that line, and I am pushing back.

I really doubt that you mean that. Whether you loath MS of not, the platform dying a quick death would be horrific for the world.
    No it wouldn't. They would just change their strategy. XP is mostly good. They could remove the nannyware and continue on just fine and the world would continue to spin. Vista is the slide towards doom and everyone is jumping on because it looks fun. Enjoy the ride. Don't be surprised when you look back on the good ol' days when you could do what you want on your own computer without calling to get pemission first.

And what is everyone going to do when they stop granting easy permission hmm? You are being slowly boiled.

I privately doubt it I'm afraid. I presume you're not going to buy the next generation of DVD player either? (Or for that matter, watch DVDs on your linux box)
    Nope. I am not. And add to that all the DRM'd audio CD's. They can choke 'em for all I care. HD media in particular is the fulcrum that is going to be used to get everyone to buy into the new DRM'd future of outside entities controlling what you can and can't do with your computer. It's the bait of the trap, the killer app no one can live without and what makes the compromises to freedom worth it.

That just ain't for me. I will stick out the next few years watching low res movies, and older movies if I have to until this insanity goes away.

I hope that you find that Linux annoys you less, I fear you may be disappointed.
    I am already beyond annoyed (does it show hehehe). I am not looking for less annoyance, I am looking for freedom. Every version of windows after windows 2000 has reduced freedom in a gradual and accelerating rate. It doesn't take a mental giant to extrapolate what the future holds for such ambitions.

"Please sir, may I have some more?" - Oliver Twist
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    :lurk
    Moderator Emeritus
  • luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    Didn't say it was new, I said it was bad enough. Tolerable, but not ideal. Now they are going over the edge.

I'll wait until I've seen their release protection system before I comment. The version I've used of Vista didn't seem that much different from XP in its protection architecture.

Ever since XP came out I have been investigating and testing on and off with various linux platforms. So far ubuntu is the best out of the "box" experience. The new version due out in April may be the final version that is "good enough" to make the transition permanent.

I would agree. Ubuntu can at least understand one of my machines. It still can't really understand my dual monitor high end graphics card and involves much manual hacking of the kernel to get it to work. This annoys me, in that the time I had to waste pratting about with it was worth far more than the price of XP.

Ok, but tell me, if I want to replace my motherboard (which I need to do) I'm up a creek right? By the way, I use the OEM version of XP since I do all my own building and support.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Surely you'd be better with XP for this? As for authorisation to use, try it, I think you'll find it just works for up to about 7 machine registration changes. This is certainly what I found with 2003 Enterprise server, which I've had to install on about 7 different machines (1 at a time)

Nannyware! Having to call them to get permission to make changes to the computer is outrageous.

Having to call a company to allow me to move an installation between 7 different machines, in what looks like a pattern of illegal activity is outrageous? Perhaps... It's nowhere near as bad as the UK's TV licencing people...

Not being able to deactivate the software like adobe photoshop (the least odious activation scheme) is outrageous. Having to buy new OS software because they don't like the hardware changes you have made to your own computer is outrageous.

You don't have to buy new copies of Windows because you've made changes to your hardware.

They're moving toward an OS rental scheme I am certain.

They are openly talking about this, yes.

And that's something I will never do.

Why? The majority of software is already rented. The vast majority of major companies run these kind of schemes, as it's cheaper for them. (Or so I believe, it's not something that seems relevant to me). Why do I care whether I continue to own the licence for some software for a machine that doesn't turn on anymore?

So I have drawn the line in the sand as to where I won't go and where they can't come. They are crossing that line, and I am pushing back.

Well, you're declining to play the game :):

Vista is the slide towards doom and everyone is jumping on because it looks fun. Enjoy the ride.

Hardly.

Don't be surprised when you look back on the good ol' days when you could do what you want on your own computer without calling to get pemission first.

I won't be suprised, but until it starts causing me a problem, I won't care either.... But right now, I have work to be done yesterday and so don't have time to deal with open source **** that doesn't work because the implementors were fine and cool doing the trendy exciting bits of the work, like the internal algorithms, but couldn't care less about the dull, tedious mundane work that makes up the majority of software.

And what is everyone going to do when they stop granting easy permission hmm? You are being slowly boiled.

Why hasn't this happened with software that's been DRMed for donkey's years? IP licenced CPU development kits, high end 3D graphics tools, licence based remote authentication systems....

Several of these have been DRMed since the start of time, and yet, they're no worse to use... The boliing does seem somewhat slow, but until then, it'll keep my feet warm... :):

That just ain't for me. I will stick out the next few years watching low res movies, and older movies if I have to until this insanity goes away.

OK.... If you wish. I can see why you find Linux appealing, and I think you'll find some of the Linux community appeal to you to. If you feel that strongly about things, then yes, I can see why the move makes sense. How does this sit with you happyness to buy licences for software in the first place, isn't that a constriction on your freedom?

I am already beyond annoyed (does it show hehehe).

Just slightly, I've never known you like this before Shay...

I am not looking for less annoyance, I am looking for freedom. Every version of windows after windows 2000 has reduced freedom in a gradual and accelerating rate. It doesn't take a mental giant to extrapolate what the future holds for such ambitions.

We shall see, I don't think that would make economic sense, and indeed would result in an increased acceptence of Linux, which I think it's fairly clear is going to be an interesting battle for MS...

Geezz, you must be a really angry guy at the moment, if you get this upset at DRM, what governments are doing (in the UK at least) must make your blood boil...

If freedom is what you want at all costs, then yes, I could see why Linux is the right way to go. As of yet, I don't have the time or money.

Luke
    edited February 28, 2006
    Sounds like time to crack open a nice case of OS X, to me.

:D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sounds like time to crack open a nice case of OS X, to me.

:D

All this talk is corn-fusing me greatly. I think I'll enjoy a nice cuppa PowerBook while I wait for my flight.
    edited February 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    All this talk is corn-fusing me greatly. I think I'll enjoy a nice cuppa PowerBook while I wait for my flight.

Good idea. Check out the movie linked in this post.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    Why? The majority of software is already rented. The vast majority of major companies run these kind of schemes, as it's cheaper for them. (Or so I believe, it's not something that seems relevant to me).

Eh?

Please explain. ear.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Eh?

Please explain. ear.gif

Isn't that the way that things like SELECT worked?

As I said, this was only the impression I have, thank heaven's I've never had the misfortune to have to know.

Oracle certainly 'rent' their software per CPU per year.

Luke
    edited February 28, 2006
    How does this sit with you happyness to buy licences for software in the first place, isn't that a constriction on your freedom?
    I don't mind paying for things I use. So paying for the license to use the software, so long as I am free to use it when and where I want, is fine by me. But I don't want to be told what I can and can't do with it afterward. Not being able to change hardware without getting the ok from "mom & dad" really puts a crimp in my style. Yes, I did move out of the house early mwink.gif

But I also don't want to rent something I am going to use a lot of. Remember back when you had to rent the at&t phone you used (lame). I can see renting something you are only going to use temporarily, like a movie (how many times can you watch it) or a car when on vacation. But if you are going to use something heavily day in and day out, well it makes sense to buy it.

If I have long term goals for my hardware, then I want that reflected in the software that runs on it too. Now if they want to charge for updates, I see nothing wrong with that, that is a service I would pay for if needed. But I don't like the idea of my operating system being turned off because I haven't paid the rent on it.

Now with all that theory, here is my application:
    I have 5 computers.
    1 web/mail server running windows 2003 server
    2 desktop computers running windows XP home and pro
    2 laptops running ubuntu 5.10 and one of them dual boots XP home

My desktop computer and the server are my mission critical computers. The desktop has to be able to run Photoshop and edit canon raw files, a slideshow DVD creation program, and DVD label printer app, and a DVD burner program. Right now, the programs except for the burner are all windows only apps and I am looking for alternatives or workarounds to get them to run on linux. I am going to downgrade this computer to windows 2000 server so I can change hardware as needed without the risk that windows will shut me down for whatever reason. This computer sees the most hardware and software changes because it is my personal box.

The web/mail/ftp server is slowly being converted and will probably see the switchover by the end of this year or the beginning of next year. Reprogramming from .asp to .php takes a bit of time for me mwink.gif Once I make the switchover to all php, then I am free to move the website anywhere I want on any platform I want or need to use. But I don't see a need to switch OS at this time. I just want to be ready to do so if I need to.

The other desktop my wife uses and is going to be switched to ubuntu 6 sometime in April. It only handles mail, web browsing, word documents, and minor image editing. So the applications will be thunderbird, firefox, openoffice, and gimpshop. She is running these now without a problem. I am switching her box over now so it can act as a testbed.

The laptop I only really use when travelling.

My goals right now are to get the applications I use in a mission critical way moved to something that is cross platform. If I can run it in windows or linux then that will please me. But windows only is something I am working away from simply because I don't like the way Microsoft is heading with activation and drm.

So I know what you mean in that you have to use what works. I am doing that now. But I am also exploring my options so I can have a plan "B" when and if that certain substance hits the fan.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    Isn't that the way that things like SELECT worked?

As I said, this was only the impression I have, thank heaven's I've never had the misfortune to have to know.

Oracle certainly 'rent' their software per CPU per year.

Luke

The business software with which I'm familiar (Photoshop, Windows, Office, iNews, FinalCut Pro, Motion, etc.) are all paid for with a one-time licensing fee per machine. We do have some high-end stuff which includes hardware, for which we pay an annual fee.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited February 28, 2006
    That's a good one. It's funny because it's true.
    DavidTO wrote:
    Good idea. Check out the movie linked in this post.
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    I don't mind paying for things I use. So paying for the license to use the software, so long as I am free to use it when and where I want, is fine by me. But I don't want to be told what I can and can't do with it afterward. Not being able to change hardware without getting the ok from "mom & dad" really puts a crimp in my style.

Now microsoft may get ansi about licensing from time to time but.....

I have never had a problem moving a program from computer to computer and calling and getting them to reactivate it. Now they will tell me I can't do it at first. Then when I reread their license to them, and start explaining in a nice way (hey it's nice enough to me) that I bought their damn license and have proof and that if they don't reactivate it I will shove it............. and then ask for a manager they always comply and reactivate my software.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    seriously?headscratch.gif didn't know that. dad said it was only illegal if its burnt and sold

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA your dad needs to do some reading.

It is illegal to share copywrited files, it is illegal to distribute copywrited files, it is illegal to sell copywrited files (all of this is without permission of course), etc.

It is not illegal to download and use these files. Thats why all the court cases that are in the news have been against people who were sharing tons of the files.

The copywrite on the cd's isn't like the usage license from microsoft.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    I have never had a problem with itunes except when I forgot to plug in my firewire drive with the library on it.:D Even then it was fine once I closed and reopened it with the drive plugged in. But then again I have never used in on a PC, mac only, 60+gb of files in it without a hitch.

James.
  • NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    So yesterday I was at work and our local friendly IT geek came into my office. He noticed I had iTunes open. I've been running it for a few days trying to really get to know it, to give it a really fair shot. The DAAP business that itunes uses sounds interesting to me. Plus I've found that I can get a deamon for my linux box that will speak DAAP and let me serve up my music to itunes clients. Interesting..

My friendly IT geek commented that he would never run itunes if it were the last available audio player on the plannet. I asked why.. he mentioned that itunes has this rather annoying trend to destroy your music files! He says that if you somehow accidentally permit the "Oragnize my music" option then it will rename and move all of your music files, sorting them in subdirectories by artist and album. Now this doesn't sound like a problem to me, as I just happen to organize my stuff that way anyway.. but he said it's a major problem if the ID3 tags on your stuff are not properly formatted! ..Really?!

Welp, I tested it out. And by gawd he's right! I unplugged my USB HD w/ my extensive collection on it and let itunes have it's way w/ a small subset of the collection copied to my HD. Sure enough, it moved all my files w/ no artist to a directory called 'No Artist'!!!

So mental note, never click 'organize my collection'.. ever!

But wait, there's a problem says my IT pal. Supposedly itunes re-enables this option automatically everytime you download an update. Is this true?! Is this purely a windows version thing? (Sort of a way to 'stick it' to un-cool windows users?)

I guess winamp really is my friend..
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    But wait, there's a problem says my IT pal. Supposedly itunes re-enables this option automatically everytime you download an update. Is this true?!

Not that I've ever seen. I've been an iTunes/Win user since it was first released and have gotten all the updated (though I do wait a week or so to see if there are any reports of problems).
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 3, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    Welp, I tested it out. And by gawd he's right! I unplugged my USB HD w/ my extensive collection on it and let itunes have it's way w/ a small subset of the collection copied to my HD. Sure enough, it moved all my files w/ no artist to a directory called 'No Artist'!!!

that's what i'm saying...except that all my files have artist/album/track info. but for some reason it likes to move them to the "unknown artist" folder. the retarded thing is though that when you re-add those supposed "unknown artist" files back into the library, it recognizes them just fine.

maybe it is just a winders thing, but it still makes iTunes suck.
    Pedal faster