blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited February 27, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Taken 2/24/06

57570472-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Alexandra_MarieAlexandra_Marie Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    Hi there. It's a nice shot, definitely depicts rough. Is there a story there? Perhaps it's because I just woke up and haven't had my coffee, but I don't see it...
    Where is the light in the center botton of the photo coming from? A window? It kind of distracts me.
    I like it though.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the ones that take our breath away.
  • Options
    queequegqueequeg Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    Wow, trippy.

I agree with Alexandra_Marie that the bottom center is a little distracting, but I think it's more in the way there's suddenly dark next to that lighter patch, where the right side of the photo blends more with the lighter patch.

Is it a whitewash on the boards themselves? There's a little spot on the wood itself that makes me think it may not be a bit of light but something else actually stuck to the wood.

-- Al
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2006
    This house was built around 1905, they used old newspaper's to paper the wall. The light is coming from a window in the center of the room, I took a few shots with it in view and didn't like the window being there.

Here's another shot, more of a close up of the newspaper on the wall.

57570473-L.jpg
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    very interesting!
    I also checked out your close up too. did you take any that aren't cropped as much as your close up? something a little less cropped might be more interesting - just enough to tell that a large area is like this, yet small enough to be interesting to see some detail. How about having your camera on an angle and closer to the wall?

tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    Try this... Show the picture to a couple people who are not photographers... Example, grade school children and co-workers. Ask them to give you a one word discription of your pic. It helps a lot.

I think the first picture shows rough. I asked my daughter, 11 what one word she would use for this picture and without a blink she said, "rough"

As it has already been said, the light spot distracts a bit in the center. I'm not sure if you have tried to crop this shot at all but it is rough.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2006
    Thanks johno, the first one in my mind does show rough. The second shows alittle I belive, but not to the extent the first one does.

All have not been cropped, these are the full shots, the first one would not work with any other angle because of the fact that the window in the room is dead center