Big Dipper

ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
edited February 26, 2006 in Holy Macro
Taking a break from late-night report writing at 1am this morning, I wanted some "action". After all, we had a pretty dull and morose sunset earlier.

The couds were rolling in but, here and there were gaps and, with my green laser pointer (rated at less than 5mw--no popping balloons with this wimpy thing!), I tried to catch some fleeting gaps and maybe a star ot two.

Then a nice gap--with a most familiar constellation (except for maybe our Grinners in the southern hemisphere)--opened up and I didn't have time for dilly-dally. The below was shot with my Nikon E5400 at ISO 400...4 sec...f/3.9 (manual shutter and aperture),,,manual focus at INF...Saturation comp +2 (and auto white balance), 4x optical zoom, and no editing other than for size.
Steve-o

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    nice - we need more astro stuff around here.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    what is the green thing? It is nice!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    its like Alien invasion
    nice shot
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    Alien Nation
    Better than Roswell?
    its like Alien invasion
    nice shot
    Steve-o
    edited February 26, 2006
    Green thing
    The "green thing" is the beam from a laser pointer operating at 532nm--well in the green portion of the visible spectrum which, you might know, is what our eyes are most sensitive to. This makes green laser pointers useful to astronomy buffs, for instance, as they can point out certain stars easily with them.

The beam would be invisible were it not for all the mold spores, particulates (you have NO IDEA how much flings off your car tires, for example) and combustion products, pollen, dust, and everything else that makes for the lovely air where I live.

Anyway, it's a handy tool when trying to line up my camera to a specific part of the sky (and for playing with my cat)! :D
    ginger_55 wrote:
    what is the green thing? It is nice!

ginger
    Steve-o
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 26, 2006
    Very cool shot and a wonderful explanation.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited February 26, 2006
    Why thank you!
    Too bad I don't have my own space telescope. All I have is a Meade 4" relector which, sorry to say, doesn't work all that well even when shooting the Moon, is waaaaaaaaaaaay too shaky, and is at best a child's play-thing.

I'm REALLY sorry that I didn't have any cameras when I used to live in Camp Verde, Arizona. The stars and meteor showers were close enough to touch....and THEN comet Hyakutake (sp?) came by in early 1997.

That would have made for some PREEMO comet shots!

Andy wrote:
    nice - we need more astro stuff around here.
    Steve-o
    edited February 26, 2006
    Central Illinois, that is?
    So, another midwesterner!

I'm a Wisconsin escapee myself!
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Very cool shot and a wonderful explanation.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    Steve-o