Focus stacking/exposure stacking

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited February 26, 2006 in Finishing School
okay, so i love doing macros, and now more often alot of landscapes, but everytime i go to do a landscape thats say, at sunset, i have to do 2 exposures, one for the sky, and one for the foreground. i know an graduated ND filter could do the samething but i don't have any and i'm kinda broke from my recent purchases of a flash and the 70-200... So are there any programs you know that can easily focus stack and/or exposure stacking so i don't have to erase/blend parts of one layer to make it go over another layer:dunno cause thats the technique i used on this photo, http://StandOutphoto.smugmug.com/photos/51631658-M.jpg and i wish it would have come out better *not the top of the trees and such

thanks,

Daniel
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    anyonene_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    You can try using the merge to HDR feature in photoshop. But really, doing it yourself manually is the cheap solution and easiest to implement. The skills learned in exposure blending are worth their weight in gold and far outweigh the inconvenience in my view.

Automatic programs don't necessarily produce better results, they are just easier to use.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited February 26, 2006
    You can try using the merge to HDR feature in photoshop. But really, doing it yourself manually is the cheap solution and easiest to implement. The skills learned in exposure blending are worth their weight in gold and far outweigh the inconvenience in my view.

Automatic programs don't necessarily produce better results, they are just easier to use.

any ideas on how i could do the image i put above any better? the treeline and the top of that main tree has been buggin mene_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006

True. Yet, Fred Miranda has an exposure blending action, and Lord Vetinari has a focus stacking app he uses.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited February 26, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    True. Yet, Fred Miranda has an exposure blending action, and Lord Vetinari has a focus stacking app he uses.

speaking of which, does anyone know if FM's actions are any good? i've been tempted by a few of them....
    Daniel Bauer

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    Looks fine to me, but I don't know what the individual frames look like.
    DanielB wrote:
    any ideas on how i could do the image i put above any better? the treeline and the top of that main tree has been buggin mene_nau.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • FrostFrost Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    Photo Acute does work, FREE trial
    You might try Photo Acute Studio. Take a peek at this link at the second example of the Church interior. First shot is a well exposed window with stained glass, but all the rest is dark, and way underexposed. Then the second pic is the interior well defined and lit, but now the window is all washed out with too much exposure. 3rd picture shows both window AND the interior well in synch with each other for exposure. Like I said, it's not too bad a program and there is a free trial for the time being.

Link is at : http://www.photoacute.com/studio/index.html
    Cheers!
    Vern

Nikon D80 w/ Tamron 28-200 XR lens & Nikon 55-200VR, 4X5 Graphic View II, others
    http://vernsdidj.com Didgeridoo site with links and pictures.

I started out in life with nothing, and I've managed to keep most of it.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited February 26, 2006
    Manual is best way to go
    I hate many of the automated tools that do for you what isn't very difficult in the first place. They teach you (almost) nothing about proper workflow and technique. Exposure blending can be done several ways, to achieve different results.

Daniel, have you read this tutorial yet?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky