Options

a basic exposure question

AnsonAnson Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
edited February 27, 2006 in Technique
I am still very much a newbie, hence the question.

the following tutorial states
"To make sure you have the proper exposure, it's a good idea to point your spot meter at various subjects to see how their tonal values will be represented in the final image. After the exposure is set, I will often point my spot meter at what I believe is a neutral subject to see how the meter reads it. Finally, I will spot meter the shadows to make sure they are as dark as I would like."
http://www.fredmiranda.com/A16/

Ques:
so, is this stating that after your AE lock is set, then to see what various subjects within the desired frame are reading (as a gauge or check on what you set the AE lock at) ....this particular technique can be utilized while in either Apperature or Shutter mode only.

Comments

• Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    Anson wrote:
    I am still very much a newbie, hence the question.

the following tutorial states
    "To make sure you have the proper exposure, it's a good idea to point your spot meter at various subjects to see how their tonal values will be represented in the final image. After the exposure is set, I will often point my spot meter at what I believe is a neutral subject to see how the meter reads it. Finally, I will spot meter the shadows to make sure they are as dark as I would like."
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/A16/

Ques:
    so, is this stating that after your AE lock is set, then to see what various subjects within the desired frame are reading (as a gage or check on what you set the AE lock at) ....this particular technique can be utilized while in either Apperature or Shutter mode only.

I believe he is probably shooting in manual mode so exposure is always locked (but can be quickly changed).

The key information here is "Spot Meter". In spot meter mode less of the view is used to meter (something like 2%). In spot meter mode you can zero in on a pair of pants, shirt, or other known value then check the meter reading and set your exposure accordingly.

Your profile states you have a Rebel. Not sure that the Rebel has spot meter ability.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    A couple of things...

You're right, Bodley, the Dreb doesn't have spot metering....

Also, it sounds like this was written for a film camera. With a digital camera, you want to protect your highlights, not your shadows. Because a digital camera sensor has a limited dynamic range, highlights can be easily blown-out. Once that detail is lost, it cannot be recovered. So, generally speaking, with a digital camera you try to make sure you're not over-exposing your highlights.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au