Options

an open ended Q. on how to improve....

nosmonosmo Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited March 5, 2006 in Technique
so - I'm looking for input on what I can do to enhance my flower pics. I have some basic
adjustment functionality in photoshop elements 2 (when it's not crashing...:wxwax) so within this
limitation (and a general bewilderment) what should be happening with or to the shots...
idea's from "try <blah> , to "stop harrassing those poor flowers" are welcome.

pic 1: f5.6, 1/60, ex comp -1 1/3, iso 100
57836031-M.jpg

pic 2: f7.1, 1/20, ex comp 0.0, iso 100
57836030-M.jpg

ref pic of 'Le Studio et facilties'
57836034-M.jpg

camera: Canon 20D w/24-70 f2.8 lens

thanks for lookin' and any advice/comments

steve

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    Wow, They look pretty good to me.
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    Not much wrong with them in general. One suggestion - watch your backgrounds. You can use black posterboard or foamcore, for example in your first pic on the left side, to block distracting backgrounds.

Also, they seem maybe a bit soft, but that could be personal preference. Are you doing any sharpening?
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    Pretty good
    I agree with what Tristan posted...

I prefer the first photo, would have preferred it a little sharper, more depth of field? the composition is OK, but nothing spectacular.

I think the problem may be your lighting -- and perhaps a slight different composition...

Nothing wrong with your photo, but you asked for input, I agree you could improve it a little and using Tristan's suggestions and looking for perhaps more dramatic lighting and a different composition somehow, you'd be a bit happier.

I spent hours looking for "rough" ideas, and after over 200 photos decided I didn't have a single thing...

I too strugle with orchid photos...but I have to go to the local nursery to photograph mine, and I can't control the lights like you can...
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2006
    Thanks for the input
    GREAPER wrote:
    Wow, They look pretty good to me.
    Thanks Greaper
    TristanP wrote:
    Not much wrong with them in general. One suggestion - watch your backgrounds. You can use black posterboard or foamcore, for example in your first pic on the left side, to block distracting backgrounds.

Also, they seem maybe a bit soft, but that could be personal preference. Are you doing any sharpening?

TristanP - they do look soft. The focal point was generally just inside the lip of the flower,
    and of all the shots I took these came out looking the best. I'm using a 24-70 lens about
    4 - 6 inches away from the subject to fill the viewfinder... but it does make the pics come
    out a little soft overall.
    I'm surprised the backgrounds came out looking as well as they did,
    and you are right I need to do something better.
    Dee wrote:
    I agree with what Tristan posted...

I prefer the first photo, would have preferred it a little sharper, more depth of field? the composition is OK, but nothing spectacular.

I think the problem may be your lighting -- and perhaps a slight different composition...

Nothing wrong with your photo, but you asked for input, I agree you could improve it a little and using Tristan's suggestions and looking for perhaps more dramatic lighting and a different composition somehow, you'd be a bit happier.

I spent hours looking for "rough" ideas, and after over 200 photos decided I didn't have a single thing...

I too strugle with orchid photos...but I have to go to the local nursery to photograph mine, and I can't control the lights like you can...

Composition, I'm hoping will come with experience (I hope...), I used the 'unsharp mask'
    filter - and maybe it's me but, I did not see much change with these. Something to fuss with
    along with the 'Sharpen' filter. As well as the lighting...

Dee, since you live in the bay area did you consider going the the
    San Francisco Pacific Orchid Exposition last week? I thought about it but work pointed me back
    in the correct direction.

Thanks for the comments

steve
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    Orchids
    nosmo wrote:

Dee, since you live in the bay area did you consider going the the
    San Francisco Pacific Orchid Exposition last week? I thought about it but work pointed me back
    in the correct direction.

steve

No, I didn't... I went to the Conservacy of Flowers to see their orchid exhibit but it was so hot and humid, I was wilted by the time I got to that room. They were misting every few minutes too! I wasn't too thrilled with my photos, or I'd make up an album.

I see you're East Bay. I live on the coast. On weekends Shelldance is open, I believe 10 to 5. It's free to visit. It's in Pacifica, two towns south of San Francisco on the coast.

Here's their website: http://www.shelldance.com/contactdirections.html

They are camera friendly, and I asked if I could use a tripod, and the reply was as long as I didn't get in the way of other visitors. Before or after the greenhouse visits, you could hike up the trail to. I don't walk very much, so I haven't been hiking up that hill, but I hear it's a nice hike.

Depending on how far you are, it might be worth a visit -- come before June, before the fog socks in and ruins the light! I can give you some other places to visit if you want to make a day of it.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    The biggest problem I think you're having is DoF. You can see from these two, that even at F16, I'm still a bit short.

36213312-O.jpg

37154786-O.jpg

As you can see from the shadows, I used a flash mounted to the left of the lens to get sufficient light.
  • Options
    AydeletteAydelette Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 27, 2006
    diffuser
    Try playing with a diffuser. You'll be delighted.

Regarding depth of field, decide on your audience. If you wish to very carefully illustrate the structure of an orchid, you'll need more. If you are shooting for a more idiosyncratic result ("a" word avoided by me), something to echo the exotic nature of your subject, you might even try for less. I agree that right now, you're at a less than satisfying depth of field.

On the other hand you are getting very pleasing detail and texture.

AK
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    No, I didn't... I went to the Conservacy of Flowers to see their orchid exhibit but it was so hot and humid, I was wilted by the time I got to that room. They were misting every few minutes too! I wasn't too thrilled with my photos, or I'd make up an album.

I see you're East Bay. I live on the coast. On weekends Shelldance is open, I believe 10 to 5. It's free to visit. It's in Pacifica, two towns south of San Francisco on the coast.

Here's their website: http://www.shelldance.com/contactdirections.html

They are camera friendly, and I asked if I could use a tripod, and the reply was as long as I didn't get in the way of other visitors. Before or after the greenhouse visits, you could hike up the trail to. I don't walk very much, so I haven't been hiking up that hill, but I hear it's a nice hike.

Depending on how far you are, it might be worth a visit -- come before June, before the fog socks in and ruins the light! I can give you some other places to visit if you want to make a day of it.
    Thanks Dee - I'll check them out the next time I can get over to your side.
    BigAl wrote:
    The biggest problem I think you're having is DoF. You can see from these two, that even at F16, I'm still a bit short.
    What lens would you be using? I was wondering if a Macro lens would be better...?
    Aydelette wrote:
    Try playing with a diffuser. You'll be delighted.

Regarding depth of field, decide on your audience. If you wish to very carefully illustrate the structure of an orchid, you'll need more. If you are shooting for a more idiosyncratic result ("a" word avoided by me), something to echo the exotic nature of your subject, you might even try for less. I agree that right now, you're at a less than satisfying depth of field.

On the other hand you are getting very pleasing detail and texture.
    AK

hmmmm. even more to think about. I like the idea of accentuating the exotic with less DOF.
    Right now it's just sort of inbetween .....

Thanks all for the comments

steve
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    nosmo wrote:
    What lens would you be using? I was wondering if a Macro lens would be better...?
    I use a Sigma 105mm macro lens for close-up work.
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    There have been a lot of good suggestions so far in this thread. My only suggestion to add is to try positoning the flowers in a different place in the frame. Often without thinking I place items right in the middle of the frame, only realizing later that had I moved it to one side of the frame the whole composition would have been more interesting. So, try moving the focal point of the flower out of the center of the frame.thumb.gif