Olympus tele extender for 4/3 system???

Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
edited February 28, 2006 in Cameras
Olympus offers a 1.4x tele extender in the 4/3 mount but the description on their web site states that "The EC14 is compatible with the Zuiko Digital 14-54mm f2.8/3.5, 50-200mm f2.8/3.5, 300mm f2.8, and 50mm f2.0 (f2.8 and up) lenses". But it does not specifically say that the tele extender is not compatable with other Ziuko 4/3 lenses. I have a 14-45mm and a 40-150mm Zuiko and I also have a 55-200mm Sigma 4/3 system lens.

Does anybody know if the above mentioned tele extender is compatable with my lenses? and if not ... why???

Bob
See with your Heart

Comments

• kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    It will work with the 40-150 and with AF even though the Aperture at the long end will be 6.3.

Can't say about the other lenses though.

Gene
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    kini62 wrote:
    It will work with the 40-150 and with AF even though the Aperture at the long end will be 6.3.

Can't say about the other lenses though.

Gene

Thankyou Gene, in that case I have no reason to believe that it won't work with my Sigma 55-200 as well. That will also result in f6.3 at the long end. You gotta wonder if it's worth it Eh?

Bob
    See with your Heart
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    good for digicam zooms
    i put mine,soon to be sold,on the end of my efs-60 macro and it worked fine-it is however a teleconversion lens for digicam zooms

its a great lens for digicam zooms but you would be better off using a proper teleconverter on dslr lenses-these also increase your f.

zooms are pretty slow to begin with and a teleconverter will slow them down so much that you will probably lose the ability to handhold therefore it is usually better to buy a longer zoom or use a prime if you want longer reach
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
    edited February 27, 2006
    Thankyou Gene, in that case I have no reason to believe that it won't work with my Sigma 55-200 as well. That will also result in f6.3 at the long end. You gotta wonder if it's worth it Eh?

Bob

Actually the Sigma is F5.6 at the long end (correct me if I'm wrong) so you're actually going to be at F7.1 (that's one full stop) The Oly 40-150 goes from F4.5 to 6.3.

It may not work as well since the Oly doesn't focus too hot in low light to start with.

Gene
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    kini62 wrote:
    Actually the Sigma is F5.6 at the long end (correct me if I'm wrong) so you're actually going to be at F7.1 (that's one full stop) The Oly 40-150 goes from F4.5 to 6.3.

It may not work as well since the Oly doesn't focus too hot in low light to start with.

Gene
    Gene, you're right. My bad. The Sigma is indeed f5.6 at the long end and loosing a stop to the teleconverter would make it f8. Pretty slooooowwww. If auto focus is a problem that would be OK because the Sigma has a real nice mechanical manual focus and since I've only recently retired my old Canon FTB I still feel more at home with manual focus.

I wish that there was a reasonably priced 300mm for the Oly E500. That would get me a 600mm equivilent on this camera. The 1.4x teleconverter brings me up to an equivilent of 560mm when used with my Sigma 55-200 but it's so slow!!! It sort of defeats the purpose.

We've just recently moved into our capital city. I initially had great misgivings about leaving a rural setting and a real pretty little river to move to the city but I'm finding more wildlife around the city than I ever got back home. There's a lot of undeveloped park and marsh land that's owned and protected by the city and already I've lucked onto Mallards and Wood Ducks and I've been shown where I can expect Great Horned Owls and nesting Canada Geese and nesting ducks. I'm hoping to extend my (400mm equiv.) Sigma to something usable in the marsh.

:): Bob
    See with your Heart
    edited February 28, 2006
    Best bet (expesnive though) would be to spring for the 50-200 Zuiko. It would give you F4.9 ( I think- the F-stop thing confuses me some) at 560mm EFL.

Gene