Options

chal. 59? Knock, Knock... Rough Who?

johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
edited March 1, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
OK, here's my attempt. Is this rough enough? Any comments + or -?
57910615-M.jpg
I blame myself... I voted on this one. Everything I saw, at the time, was rough. Now, I only see smooth. Go figure.

Just trying to get back in the game.

peace.
johno~
If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
johno's gallery

Comments

• Options
    TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    Hi there Johno,

Looks rough enough to me. Roughly built, rough materials i'm not sure it could be rougher.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    I think it is plenty rough. thumb.gif The only elements that come close to being smooth are the door - which is actually not smooth - and the area in front of the door. These serve nicely as contrast (as do the red elements). Altogether, the photo shows a lot of different rough textures.

FWIW, I happen to love the picture iloveyou.gif , but, given that my taste diverges more often than not from that of the group as a whole, I don't know how it would fare in the challenge. You might want to try another take from a little farther back so that the door is off to one side (rule of thirds kinda thing). But I'm not sure the results would be as strong or interesting to my eye as this one.

Anyhow, it is a great start. clap.gif Good luck in the challenge.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    hi johno,
    this is a very cool door! nice catch! i do see a lot of roughness here, yet i don't know if it's easily seen that 'roughness' is the subject. Great photo though - love the red and all the texture!

tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    I think this captures the subject matter nicely! Looks like the whole frame could be pulled out if you tried to open the door! I'm with you, Johno. I voted for the "Rough" challenge thinking it sounded so easy! I am having a really difficult time finding the right shot. Who cleaned up this city anyway???? ne_nau.gif Good luck in the challenge!
  • Options
    juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    Wow, that's rough. I like it.
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Virginia, I took about 10 shots of this door. I did have in mind the "rule of thirds" when taking a few shots.

So everyone, here's the other option with 3rds in mind.
    57952319-M.jpg

So, is it #1 or #2

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    #2, very cool
    thumb.gif
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif Yup Yup #2
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    ITA......#2 is great! clap.gif
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    Well, no surprise here. I love the "rule of thirds" version too. You don't need me to rapsodize about these shots anymore - I could go on and on. Up to you to choose. I love them both. Wish they were on my hard drive.:D

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    gildcogildco Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Personally, I think that you original was more visually exciting and provocative. The offset in your original added to the aura. This shot looks just like lots of other doors, although in rough or rougher shape. Additionally, the gray cement larger area in your original also actually highlighted the contrasting white of the door and frame. Incidentally, my advice is worth what you paid for it. :D
    johno wrote:
    OK, here's my attempt. Is this rough enough? Any comments + or -?
    57910615-M.jpg
    I blame myself... I voted on this one. Everything I saw, at the time, was rough. Now, I only see smooth. Go figure.

Just trying to get back in the game.

peace.
    johno~
    Gil