UMass Lax vs Hofstra

wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
edited February 28, 2006 in Sports
First game of the season, it was absolutly freeze and the sun kept going in and out so I decided to throw the camera in a priority mode rather than having to keep trying to manipulate the shutter speed through my big gloves.
Between that and the white snow backgrounds...they are ok.
Hoping I can return to my level of shooting from last year...but I guess time will tell.

Here are a couple:
57845062-M-1.jpg
57846582-M-1.jpg

57869551-M-1.jpg

57881034-M-1.jpg

57881180-M-1.jpg

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    #3 is my favorite. I like the ball in the lax net and how he's being chased down and even the lax tatoo on his leg:D

good luck this season.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 27, 2006
    let's recap:

sun in = bad
    sun out = good!

(you can totally tell :D)

Some good ones, but how the heck do you have time to shoot? Nutcase, you are.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    let's recap:

sun in = bad
    sun out = good!

(you can totally tell :D)

Some good ones, but how the heck do you have time to shoot? Nutcase, you are.

Actually I havent shot for a month, the winter sports had enough photo that the paper could make do, but this was the first lax game of the season.

Just to let you know how busy I was, I missed about 4 home hockey games....yeah hockey games.

Personally I prefer a partly cloudy day, cause if you get all sun you can get such harsh shadows....where as partly cloudy days you get nice light and no harsh shadows.

Not as excited about the results using a the Aperture priority mode, but it was so cold having to adjust the shutter speed all game as the sun went in and out totally didnt sound like fun.
  • chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    Nice shots...what body/lens(es)? I'm shooting some lacrosse this weekend and debating on what glass to bring. Thanks!
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
    edited February 27, 2006
    chuckice wrote:
    Nice shots...what body/lens(es)? I'm shooting some lacrosse this weekend and debating on what glass to bring. Thanks!

20D with a 70-200 L 2.8 plus the 1.4 converter.....after using Doctorit's former sigma 300 whatever lens, i realised I really am better off with the distance in lax and my technique has gotten better that the 1.4 converter doenst slow the autofocus that much more down for it to matter.

I would buy a bigger lens, but i finally paid of my Credit Card and now I am only buying what I can afford......
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 27, 2006
    winger wrote:
    Not as excited about the results using a the Aperture priority mode, but it was so cold having to adjust the shutter speed all game as the sun went in and out totally didnt sound like fun.
    You know Winger, it's OK to use Apriority. You will NOT be struck by a lightning bolt if you don't use full Manual.

I was gonna say something stupid like "it doesn't matter because +/- 1.3 stop is totally within RAW limits anyway" but then I realized you still think your computer is the devil and Photoshop is for people with PhD's.

:D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited February 27, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You know Winger, it's OK to use Apriority. You will NOT be struck by a lightning bolt if you don't use full Manual.

I was gonna say something stupid like "it doesn't matter because +/- 1.3 stop is totally within RAW limits anyway" but then I realized you still think your computer is the devil and Photoshop is for people with PhD's.

:D

Me and my comp went to counciling we have worked things out, but I totally agree with you on the photoshop thing... I mean I ALMOST have my masters....clearly not qualified to run photoshop.

I buy books on PS but I might as well be reading one of doctorits presentation on fluid dynamics......

But I still feel dirty using a priority..... I havent used on in like a year and a half!!!
  • risourcerisource Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    nice shots
    Only problem is you missed all the Hofstra action! Since I am a Hoftsra grad I don't like your coverage very much :-)
    edited February 28, 2006
    risource wrote:
    Only problem is you missed all the Hofstra action! Since I am a Hoftsra grad I don't like your coverage very much :-)

you wouldnt of liked the score either :-P

Hosftra didnt have much action in the first half, except the ball in their own net. They rallied the score a bit in the 2nd half but by then I was freezing my equipment was freezing so I went to the library to study.......
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    The crossed "crosse's" leg tattoo must be all the rage this year. I noted the same marking on several of the players at the lacrosse tournament that I photographed here this past weekend.

Nice shots.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site