Trying Again

Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
edited March 2, 2006 in Holy Macro
Well I had so much fun with the tulips and the macro lens I thought I would try again. This time I wanted more of the flower so I used the Tamron 28-75. Suggestions and Critique always wanted, it's the only way I'll get better.

57911341-M.jpg

57915292-M.jpg

57915291-M.jpg

Last one
57915289-M.jpg

Let mw know what you think and how I could improve on them.

Thanks,

Eric
"My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    wow nice shots but i think you should completley remove or include flowers growing from sides other then main flowers
    They are lovely iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SushantSushant Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    The vivid colors on the deep black background are simply spectacular!

I particularly like 1 and 2. The last one might be better if the flower in the background wasn't there.
    - Sushant

http://sushant.smugmug.com
    sony dsc-v3, p200, toshiba pdr-3300, canon xt-350d
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    I like #1 and #2 the best, though I like the color better in #1. thumb.gif For #3 and #4 I found the partially cropped flowers a little distracting. Perhaps you can crop or clone them out completely.
  • pete wpete w Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    Very nice
    [

Thanks,

I like the flowers but not to keen on the black background, try with different colors or even white if you can get a clean edge.
    Pete W
    Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
    Henri Cartier Bresson

www.pete-wraight.smugmug.com
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    Ohhhhh I like them All
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    Well I had so much fun with the tulips and the macro lens I thought I would try again. This time I wanted more of the flower so I used the Tamron 28-75. Suggestions and Critique always wanted, it's the only way I'll get better.

Last one
    Thanks,
    Eric

Hi Eric.........I like all your shots, but if you asked me to choose just one and one only, I would go for number 2 thumb.gif
    I like the way the Tulip leans and the space you allowed empty to the left of it........... the lighting is just right for that shot :D
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    Eric, I really like #1. Do you care to share how you set them up, and what you used for a background and lighting etc.?

Bob
    See with your Heart
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    Hi Eric,

I like the black background a lot. I feel it really makes the colours pop. I like the lighting you used a lot. The colours are rich and saturated and look great on my screen thumb.gif

Overall, my only issue is with space and balance. #1 and #3 just don't look quite right to me. The extra flower in #1 just feels a bit out of place and I'd like a bit less space at the top. I think I'd be ok with the small flower at the bottom if it was cropped tighter.

I like the angle of #3 but again, for me, I think there is just a bit too much blank space.

Although #2 has quite a bit of blank space, I'm generally OK with this one. I also like the lighting on this one the best.

Regards,
    Brad
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    All are very good...#2 is EXCEPTIONAL.....I am fan of the deep blk bkground.....thumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    The second one
    Is great. The black background is perfect for the lighter pink tulip to really "pop" off the background almost giving it a 3-D effect!

I agree with the other comments made about the other photos, leaves detract from the flower, extra partial tulips distracting, etc.

Nice lighting too!
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    Eric, I really like #1. Do you care to share how you set them up, and what you used for a background and lighting etc.?

Bob

Sorry for the late reply my internet has been down for three days.

Anyway, I put the tulip on the dining room chair and put a piece of black foam board behind it resting on the back of the chair. Then I opened the kitchen blinds just enough to let some late afternoon sun come in. The rest of the light came from my 430 ex bounced off the ceiling.

Glad you liked them,

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

• Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    Thank you to everyone for the feedback. I agree that the other tulips in the background are distracting. When I was shooting them I was hoping it would lend some depth to the pic but in the end they are just in the way.

Thanks again,

Eric