Rain, Rain

JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
edited March 4, 2006 in Sports
Saturday I shot a soccer game, and it rained the whole game. Just wondering, how good of shots would you expect to get in the rain? I had a lot of problems with motion blur and focus issues. The motion blur was due to my personal fobia of higher ISO's. I think I could have gotten 50% more good shots at ISO 400, but I stuck to 200. Here are a few that I like ok, but overall I am not at all happy with the days shots, 95% are junk. Here are a few blurry samples of the days shots.

57714779-M-1.jpg

58008802-M-1.jpg

57717189-M-1.jpg

Edit: Does anyone know of a good umbrella system for shooting in the rain? I am tired of the way I have been doing it.

James.

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    You're braver than I am, shooting in the rain. I keep my gear safely ensconced w/in the confines of the car if it looks like rain at the game (but then, that only happens 2-3 times per year where I am:D)

I have used higher ISOs w/ what I think are good results. While I don't shoot in the rain, I have had early AM and/or very cloudy games and the higher ISOs have worked well. The pic below was at ISO 400 on a very overcast day (one of the few we did get rain - and hail). Also, while I was still getting familar w/ my (then) new 20D, I shot a game at 800 (or 1600 - I forgot to reset it from the night before) and, out side of a bit of over exposure, they looked pretty good.

good luck w/ a better umbrella (or you could just move to sunny So Calrolleyes1.gif)

cheers,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    I was photographing rugby and lacrosse this past Saturday in a steady rain.

One of the other regular photographers that I see at these games showed up with a large tripod (I think it was actually a light stand) that he had rigged up to hold a large beach umbrella. He set that up and stayed under it.

I, on the other hand, was more mobile using my tried and true home-made, all weather garbage bag camera protector.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    KMCC wrote:
    I was photographing rugby and lacrosse this past Saturday in a steady rain.

One of the other regular photographers that I see at these games showed up with a large tripod (I think it was actually a light stand) that he had rigged up to hold a large beach umbrella. He set that up and stayed under it.

I, on the other hand, was more mobile using my tried and true home-made, all weather garbage bag camera protector.

We were shooting in the same rain storm, I have been the normal large umbrella route and I like mobile, I am thinking of buying a real rain cape, just wondering if anyone uses them.

James.
  • blobblob Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    We were shooting in the same rain storm, I have been the normal large umbrella route and I like mobile, I am thinking of buying a real rain cape, just wondering if anyone uses them.

James.

Another photographer I know uses one successfully. The one I've seen recommended is from FotoSharp
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    KMCC wrote:

same here, though I made mine from a big roll of plastic and some scotch tape. for what it's worth, http://miltonsports.smugmug.com/gallery/870264/2/39292956 was in the rain.
  • David StevensDavid Stevens Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Personally I am afraid to shoot in the rain with my digital gear. :):
    David L. Stevens
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 3, 2006
    Whether your gear is or is not weather resistant, carry a towel to wipe it off
    occasionally.

You can find reasonably priced covers from companies like Lightware or
    Kata or use a plastic baggie/garbage bag. Regardless, do try and keep your
    gear as dry as you can and avoid changing lenses when your gear is damp.

Embrace the high ISO. For sport, shutter speed is often the driver. If
    you want a high shutter speed, you need to adjust aperture and ISO. Want
    DOF too? Then the only option is to adjust ISO.

Your first shot is ok (face is in-focus), the second out of focus. The third
    looks a bit under exposed-the meter is fooled by the dark jersey. Maybe a
    plus one or two thirds?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • zedzed Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    Yea, don't be affraid to bump up that ISO. 400 would have been much better and I'll bet you wouldn't notice any noise. Nice thing about digital...could even go to 800 for a few shots just to see. I use my own custom rain cover. Clear plastic with some velcro and pull cords (kind of like a bungy cord). Velcro the plastic to the lens hood and bungy it around the back of the lens. Works really good. Take some care when you make it (if you do) and you will be happy with it. These cameras are tougher than you might think.

Jeff
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    In the UK we have to use high iso, this was taken at 1600 with 10D,i have heard the 10D is not good at high iso don't think this is too bad though
    55256375-M.jpg
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    hey nice captues james !
    and others
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery