Some indoor soccer

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited March 3, 2006 in Sports
I was allowed to shoot at the National Training Center scouting weekend. Large gym, Canon 20d, ISO 1600, 85mmf1.8 at f2.0 1/640. Very slight adjustments in RAW.
57992167-M.jpg

57992128-M.jpg

57992160-M.jpg

57992149-M.jpg

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    hi Ann,

nice to see you shooting soccer again. It was your posts of youth soccer that lead me to dgrin in the 1st place. I like the 1st one best, but too bad his foot is in front of the keepers face.

The National Training Center scouting weekend - does that mean your son is being considered for a spot on the Canadian nat'l team? Cool.

Colleen
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    That would look like soooo much (NOT!) fun to land your melon hard on that (NOT!) grass.:pissed
    Steve-o
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Hi Colleen
    How cool is it that I led you to dgrin......wow!!!!
    I am glad to have shot soccer again too - getting a real job has seen my PP time diminished to next to nothing, and the other soccer centers had an incident that has them restricting people from accessing the only good shooting locations, so I've mostly stopped for now.

Yes, my son is at NTC for training (he now trains about 14 - 16 hours a week which means I drive about.....umph.gif ). He has been identified as one of 5 1990 born keepers in Canada that are National team potential. Pretty cool, and worth the driving after all!

Thanks for commenting - I had another great goalkeeper shot (its not of my kid) but it is really OOF, unfortunately.

ann
    Frog Lady wrote:
    hi Ann,

nice to see you shooting soccer again. It was your posts of youth soccer that lead me to dgrin in the 1st place. I like the 1st one best, but too bad his foot is in front of the keepers face.

The National Training Center scouting weekend - does that mean your son is being considered for a spot on the Canadian nat'l team? Cool.

Colleen
    edited March 1, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    That would look like soooo much (NOT!) fun to land your melon hard on that (NOT!) grass.:pissed

Hey forehead - its like you were there...the weekend ended terribly, actually, when the largest of the keepers and a striker collided head on mid air, resulting in the keeper smashing the other kid into the ground. It was horrific. They took the boy to hospital by ambulance on a backboard. Still haven't heard how he is.

ann
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Hi Ann,

always nice to see ya pics.....
    these came out really good!
    I start my "soccer pics" shortly, ive been considering upgrading my outside soccer lens to the canon 300 f/4 or sigma 120-300. the soccer field is getting bigger as my 12 yr old son continues to play. have u tried either of these for outdoor soccer?

troy
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 1, 2006
    Nice work Canadian Ann and good to see you again thumb.gifthumb.gif

Oh man, you must be thrilled about the possiblity of your son making the National Team. Congrats to you and to him (I am sure your DH had little or nothing to do with your son's talent....lol) clap.gif

Colleen beat me too it. Love the first one and if the goalie's face would have been visible, it would have been an even more awesome shot.

Good on you for shooting RAW :D I know it adds some PP time, but it really helps for these ISO1600 shots. My only comment on your processing is to watch the shadow slider when you have black skintones in the pic. It can be real easy to lose detail rolleyes1.gif I have really tried to work on that with my B-ball pics where there are light pink-light tan-dark brown skintones in the same frame. I have had to do some RAW conversion "blending" on occassion to get everyone's skintoes looking good.

Again, I think ya done good and I hope to see more of you around the forum :):

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 1, 2006
    sweeeet! good to see you back and shooting again. and congrats to your
    son for being selected for a camp too.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited March 2, 2006
    Hi Troy
    Thanks!
    I haven't had the opportunity to use any other lens but the sweet 70 - 200 f2.8. I do know that many shoot with the 300mm, and the really priviledged have the 300mm f2 (drool!!!!!!). I would choose fast lens over reach, I think, given that it can be quite dull/grey/dark here on spring evenings.

ann
    windoze wrote:
    Hi Ann,

always nice to see ya pics.....
    these came out really good!
    I start my "soccer pics" shortly, ive been considering upgrading my outside soccer lens to the canon 300 f/4 or sigma 120-300. the soccer field is getting bigger as my 12 yr old son continues to play. have u tried either of these for outdoor soccer?

troy
    edited March 2, 2006
    Laughing.gif, Steve! Any athletic talent either came directly from the dh or skipped me and came from my dad. I am one of the clutziest people I know. The risk taking probably came from me as the dh is quite a bit more uptight tho rolleyes1.gif
    We are quite proud and excited at the possibilities this opens - scholarships etc. It does really cut into my shooting (and chore) time, though.

Thanks for the tips about RAW conversions - for the most part my sports pics just don't get the care and attention that the 'art' pics do - and nobody really notices either :):

Thanks for stopping by Steve. Good to hear from you.

ann
    Nice work Canadian Ann and good to see you again thumb.gifthumb.gif

Oh man, you must be thrilled about the possiblity of your son making the National Team. Congrats to you and to him (I am sure your DH had little or nothing to do with your son's talent....lol) clap.gif

Colleen beat me too it. Love the first one and if the goalie's face would have been visible, it would have been an even more awesome shot.

Good on you for shooting RAW :D I know it adds some PP time, but it really helps for these ISO1600 shots. My only comment on your processing is to watch the shadow slider when you have black skintones in the pic. It can be real easy to lose detail rolleyes1.gif I have really tried to work on that with my B-ball pics where there are light pink-light tan-dark brown skintones in the same frame. I have had to do some RAW conversion "blending" on occassion to get everyone's skintoes looking good.

Again, I think ya done good and I hope to see more of you around the forum :):

Steve
    edited March 2, 2006
    Thanks Ian. :D

ann
    ian408 wrote:
    sweeeet! good to see you back and shooting again. and congrats to your
    son for being selected for a camp too.

ian
    edited March 2, 2006
    Keep me posted, OK?
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hey forehead - its like you were there...the weekend ended terribly, actually, when the largest of the keepers and a striker collided head on mid air, resulting in the keeper smashing the other kid into the ground. It was horrific. They took the boy to hospital by ambulance on a backboard. Still haven't heard how he is.

ann
    Steve-o
    edited March 2, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    Keep me posted, OK?

Hi again
    It turns out that he is okay - concussed but able to travel home the same day. i imagine he would be bruised and sore as well, but apparently nothing broken!! I was very relieved to hear this, as it really looked serious.

ann
    edited March 3, 2006
    Yeah, I know a thing or two about concussions. Got the scar just above my FOREHEAD to prove it!

Glad to hear he's doing better :hurt
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi again
    It turns out that he is okay - concussed but able to travel home the same day. i imagine he would be bruised and sore as well, but apparently nothing broken!! I was very relieved to hear this, as it really looked serious.

ann
    Steve-o