Options

Portable hard drives

2»

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    You should definitely back up with a DVD burner, Ginger. But I have 2 Maxtor external drives as well. Like you, I'm not as diligent about backing up as I should be. I fear that someday I will regret it. I chide myself about it often. I try to backup RAW files as soon as possible.
    The books all say to backup immediately. I upload junk that I can't see. A quandary, and I would have to spend another 150.00 on the DVD thing that I DID NOT get with my PC, like an idiot. And it would probably be money well spent, aaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhh. I have to see how much I even have left.

I have a list of things I need to spend money on, then I stay here, and I don't.

ginger (Dixie said I could get a DVD thing for about 50.00. People are always saying 50.00 to me. None of the stuff that "USED" to be 50.00 is less than 100.00 now. If you know where I can get an external DVD burner for 50.00 or so, please let me know.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    Personally, I never bother with DVDs. They're slow and a pain in the butt. I do regular backups to another hard drive. I figure that both drives won't fail simultaneously and at the same time ;)

I also don't trust that a DVD that sits on a shelf will work in a few years. At least with the back up, I'm using it, and I know its health.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    BTW, Belkin (not Delkin) makes a product that does exactly what I described for iPods (except the mini). Last time I looked it was selling for around 70 USD.
    Except that I've never heard anything good about that unit. Very slow transfer rates, and chews through batteries very fast. Nice idea for sure, but very poor implementation of that idea.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Gus,

The new model you mentioned has more bells and whistles than I need, but I found another model on their site (about to be released) that will give me 60GB for about 230 USD. Excellent! clap.gif

Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Cheers.
    Glad i could help rs...i can add that these are the best people i have ever delt with on the net for speed of service & honouring warranty.

Gus