How to update my keywords list?

HCPHCP Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited March 3, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi- I have searched through smugmug help and dgrin threads, and still can't figure this out...

Background
Over the course of the last week, I added a number of new galleries to my site, hcphoto.smugmug.com, under a new category called, Amgen Tour of California. I created subcategories for each stage we shot, and then have 1-3 galleries for each stage. When customizing each gallery, I entered in the "keyword" field (cycling Amgen Tour California). For almost all of the images, I have not added a caption, but many of the images have filenames that identify the riders added on to the image number.

So here is my question/problem:

On my hcphoto homepage, I have "photo keywords" enabled. The list of keywords only appears to reflect filenames in my older galleries. For example, I have a number of George Hincapie images from this last week, but when I click on "hincapie", I only get 14 image results, none of which are from this last week.

Also- I expected to see Amgen or California show up on the photo keywords list, but they don't appear either.

Am I supposed to take some action to get my newly uploaded filenames in my keyword search list?

Thanks much for your help! PK :dunno
hcphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    HCP wrote:
    Hi- I have searched through smugmug help and dgrin threads, and still can't figure this out...

Background
    Over the course of the last week, I added a number of new galleries to my site, hcphoto.smugmug.com, under a new category called, Amgen Tour of California. I created subcategories for each stage we shot, and then have 1-3 galleries for each stage. When customizing each gallery, I entered in the "keyword" field (cycling Amgen Tour California). For almost all of the images, I have not added a caption, but many of the images have filenames that identify the riders added on to the image number.

So here is my question/problem:

On my hcphoto homepage, I have "photo keywords" enabled. The list of keywords only appears to reflect filenames in my older galleries. For example, I have a number of George Hincapie images from this last week, but when I click on "hincapie", I only get 14 image results, none of which are from this last week.

Also- I expected to see Amgen or California show up on the photo keywords list, but they don't appear either.

Am I supposed to take some action to get my newly uploaded filenames in my keyword search list?

Thanks much for your help! PK ne_nau.gif

I don't see photo keywords in this gallery:
    http://hcphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/1233394

I do see gallery keywords afaik they won't show on your list. Photo Keywords will. Have you photokeyworded all your galleries? Please provide example links and we can help you ... thanks!
  • HCPHCP Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I don't see photo keywords in this gallery:
    http://hcphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/1233394

I do see gallery keywords afaik they won't show on your list. Photo Keywords will. Have you photokeyworded all your galleries? Please provide example links and we can help you ... thanks!
    Andy- thanks for your quick reply!

For my Tour de France galleries, I don't remember doing anything active to photo keyword my galleries. As far as I can remember, all of my photo keywords are derived from my image filenames.

Here's an example:
    http://hcphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/874641

These keywords all come from the image's filename. I didn't do anything anywhere else; they just appeared magically (to me) on my front page photo keywords list, as well as attached to the image.

So after uploading the most recent photos, I expected the same behaviour. The help page on keywords appears to confirm I should expect my keyword list to reflect all my filesnames:

"To save you time, smugmug also inspects your photo's filenames. IMG_9107 will be ignored. Auckland_9107 will be tagged with the keyword Auckland. You can always use the caption tool to change them."

Am I misunderstanding this? -PK headscratch.gif
    hcphoto.smugmug.com
    edited March 1, 2006
    Still need help- can't figure this "keywords" update thing out
    Do I need to provide more/other info?

Thanks again! -PK
    hcphoto.smugmug.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    HCP wrote:
    Do I need to provide more/other info?

Thanks again! -PK

Are you using a different process to name the files? Different uploader? It should work the same way.
    edited March 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Are you using a different process to name the files? Different uploader? It should work the same way.
    Ah ha! I have been using a different browser and uploader process recently. For the auto keyworded Tour de France galleries, I used my desktop PC (running XPsp2), browsers Netscape 7.2 or Mozilla, and the standard upload method.

For Winter Training Camps galleries, http://hcphoto.smugmug.com/Winter%20Training%20Camps/159566

and Tour of California,
    http://hcphoto.smugmug.com/Amgen%20Tour%20of%20California

I have been uploading while on the road from my laptop (also XPsp2), but with browser IE6 and I used 2 upload methods-- the standard uploader (for all of the Winter Training Camps galleries) and more recently the Windows Drag and Drop uploader method (switched to using this during the Tour of California).

The common denominator for all the galleries which don't have keywords automatically from the filenames is that I used IE6. :uhoh
    hcphoto.smugmug.com
    edited March 2, 2006
    If anyone cares
    Well- I feel like I am having a conversation with myself, but since others are reading this thread, I'll report back on what I've found.

I deleted all of one images from one of my recent ToC galleries, so that I could re-upload under Netscape and the standard browser upload tool to see if this made a difference in behaviour.

Of course, now Netscape 8.1 is available, and I was loathe to upload an older version, so this is the version I chose to install (so yes this is a difference on my part).

Then I tried the standard Smugmug upload tool, which I had used originally, which is the one that had "magically" created the keywords from my filenames before. I uploaded a few files into gallery
    http://hcphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/1238726
    and the images uploaded just fine, but no "magic" keywording took place.

Then I thought, what the heck, I'll try to install Java and use the "other platforms" java based uploader for some of the files, and the "beta universal drag &drop" for some others.

Bottom line- no magic keywords anymore. I guess I will waste a bunch of time manually going through images to do this via the bulk edit caption/keyword tool.

So Andy- the other thing that occurs to me that is different since I uploaded the Tour de France galleries is that Smugmug itself has been changed I don't know how many times. And I believe that one of these upgrades changed this feature (at least it was a feature to me).

And I believe that the help section on keywords coming from filenames is no longer accurate.

The other thing that no longer works is that I get no notification via email any longer that my photos have been uploaded, even though my email preference is set to "yes" for do you want to get upload status emails? So perhaps this means that my upload process never really properly completes even though I see the photos in the galleries?

Feel free to correct me if any of this makes an incorrect assumption.

One very grumpy pro user (at least I am paying for this level, even if I don't feel very pro right now), -PK
    hcphoto.smugmug.com
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    HCP wrote:
    Well- I feel like I am having a conversation with myself, but since others are reading this thread, I'll report back on what I've found.

I deleted all of one images from one of my recent ToC galleries, so that I could re-upload under Netscape and the standard browser upload tool to see if this made a difference in behaviour.

Of course, now Netscape 8.1 is available, and I was loathe to upload an older version, so this is the version I chose to install (so yes this is a difference on my part).

Then I tried the standard Smugmug upload tool, which I had used originally, which is the one that had "magically" created the keywords from my filenames before. I uploaded a few files into gallery
    http://hcphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/1238726
    and the images uploaded just fine, but no "magic" keywording took place.

Then I thought, what the heck, I'll try to install Java and use the "other platforms" java based uploader for some of the files, and the "beta universal drag &drop" for some others.

Bottom line- no magic keywords anymore. I guess I will waste a bunch of time manually going through images to do this via the bulk edit caption/keyword tool.

So Andy- the other thing that occurs to me that is different since I uploaded the Tour de France galleries is that Smugmug itself has been changed I don't know how many times. And I believe that one of these upgrades changed this feature (at least it was a feature to me).

And I believe that the help section on keywords coming from filenames is no longer accurate.

The other thing that no longer works is that I get no notification via email any longer that my photos have been uploaded, even though my email preference is set to "yes" for do you want to get upload status emails? So perhaps this means that my upload process never really properly completes even though I see the photos in the galleries?

Feel free to correct me if any of this makes an incorrect assumption.

One very grumpy pro user (at least I am paying for this level, even if I don't feel very pro right now), -PK

I just took a look at your photos, and the problem is that they all begin with "IMG_XXXX". We figure that looks like a camera-generated filename, so we don't process the filename for auto-keywords.

If you uploaded your images without that prefix, I think you'd find that they'd work just fine.

I'll look into whether we can just discard that portion of the filename and process the rest, but no promises. We'll do what we can.

Thanks,

Don
    edited March 3, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    I just took a look at your photos, and the problem is that they all begin with "IMG_XXXX". We figure that looks like a camera-generated filename, so we don't process the filename for auto-keywords.

If you uploaded your images without that prefix, I think you'd find that they'd work just fine.

I'll look into whether we can just discard that portion of the filename and process the rest, but no promises. We'll do what we can.

Thanks,

Don
    Don, Thanks very much for your reply and explanation. I didn't interpret the help page on keywords that way. I thought that it meant that it ignored the IMG_# portion or the # portion and read the rest of the filename.

Please don't take any action on my filenames. Now that I understand the issue, I will go back and fix on my own. I want to leave the image # as part of the filename, and I want the smugmug filenames to be consistent with the local backup folders I have.

Thanks again, -PK
    hcphoto.smugmug.com