Low light type shots

Se7enUKSe7enUK Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited March 7, 2006 in Sports
I have been messing with some various low light type shots and here is one of Shakey from Croft. These sort of shots have definately grown in popularity and would be interested to see other peoples examples (of any sport)

firstlight2ur.jpg

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 1, 2006
    necessity being the mother of invention?-

I like it-
  • patrickbeilpatrickbeil Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Se7enUK wrote:
    I have been messing with some various low light type shots and here is one of Shakey from Croft. These sort of shots have definately grown in popularity and would be interested to see other peoples examples (of any sport)

Your images are creative and impressive. I like the effect of the subtle lighting - can you tell me a little about your technique?
    Pat
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Day and night
    ... can you tell me a little about your technique?
    The motorcycle does not have the light on ! ...headscratch.gif
    So, I think the shot was made in bright daylight and then photoshoped. Am I right ?:):
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Se7enUKSe7enUK Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    The shot was made in the morning, however with it been winter the light was pretty low. I had already shot some pictures which had come out fairly OK, however the Sun disappeared again for this shot, with great black clouds that gave way to heavy sleet.

The shot has had some post process, which is as follows:-

1) Reduced exposure even further from original RAW file.
    2) Increased white balance from 5800K to 9000K to give the shot the a real feeling of early morning glow
    3) Used FM Sharpening action

The bikes do not have headlights, however have been on track when the light is near enough gone and they still carry on testing. Hope this helps.
    edited March 1, 2006
    Original
    Here is the shot with no processing apart from Unsharp mask on resize.

firstlightorig0xj.jpg
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Bykes
    Se7enUK wrote:
    Here is the shot with no processing apart from Unsharp mask on resize.

firstlightorig0xj.jpg
    I do like this one. Composition is nice... Shape. Good work.thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 1, 2006
    That's a great shot, I do like the early morning feel of it. I actually wish you hadn't shown the original, because the more intense blue bike and green grass appeal to me a bit more. But man, wouldn't it be better if he didn't have a dark tinted visor, totally giving it away as an underexposure job?
    :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited March 1, 2006
    The sun was actually very bright when it was out and also very low. Shakey (Shane Byrne) went in after this lap and they came out again about an hour later once the weather had got better.
    Like I said before, I just keep trying allsorts.

Thanks for the comments everyone much appreciated.
  • CalKiddCalKidd Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    I am new here and really like the photos of bikes in action.

I feel kind of silly asking, but what kind of lens did you use here. Pardon me, but I am just trying to learn and get the feel of this hobby.
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 7, 2006
    CalKidd wrote:
    I am new here and really like the photos of bikes in action.

I feel kind of silly asking, but what kind of lens did you use here. Pardon me, but I am just trying to learn and get the feel of this hobby.

Welcome CalKidd (any relation to JasonKidd?.....lol) wave.gif Nice to see you posting and your question needs no excuses. New or not, that's a darned good question thumb.gif

I hope you like our site enough to hang around. We have some really good bike shooters as members :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero