Some turns in the Castle; Alta, Utah

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited March 1, 2006 in Sports
Devil's Castle is a mountain side in the Alta area in Utah. There is no lift that gets you there and it's very large, so it's often a good place to look for powder.

58185970-L.jpg

It usually takes the ski patrol a day or so after a big storm to shoot avalanches in the Castle and get it open. When they do open it, a lot of people queue up to climb in.

58187470-L.jpg

Even so, there is lots of powder for all, even after a day or so:

58134810-L.jpg

My son and I climbed to the summit of East Castle one day last week. Just as we got there, the weather closed in.

58138924-L.jpg

The next day, we climbed into the steepest part of the Castle:

58185016-L.jpg

Not much distance but steep and a slog in the heavy snow. Took me about 20 minutes. Worth it, though:

58184642-L.jpg

Great virgin powder:

58139274-L.jpg

57961767-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Rutt, once again these are wonderful images. Personally, I really take to the two wider angle shots of the gang trudging through the snow. But your opening shot is also a beaut. Dang, you really have the snow thing down.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 1, 2006
    I love it:

58187470-S.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 1, 2006
    WoooooHooooo Rutt
    WOW!!

I agree with Sid. Not only are these really nice shots, it looks like you've got the snow shooting gig down pat.

Loved the first shot, and the second shot and the third shot and the fifth shot.......

So did you and your boy do any skiing or did you risk a major coronary just to shoot some pitchas?......Laughing.gif

Very, very nice,

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Nice shots, Rutt. Really nice.

Couple of PS questions:

Is that first shot a little flat?

Have you played with reducing the blue cast in the shadows? Not really eliminating it, just cutting back on it...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nice shots, Rutt. Really nice.

Couple of PS questions:

Is that first shot a little flat?

Have you played with reducing the blue cast in the shadows? Not really eliminating it, just cutting back on it...

Thanks guys.

David, let's see. I guess that first shot IS sort of flat. But not as flat as it started out:

57141816-M.jpg

The last of the storm was just lifting as I shot. I wanted a shot to show the whole place, but this was the best I had.

As to the blue shadows on the snow. This year it's how I like it. I spent a lot of time looking at that snow trying to figure out what color I really thought it was. Maybe I've spent too much time looking at recent commercial photography as well. Blue snow shadows are very in this year. What I do is balance on the snow in the sun in ACR. That makes the shadows blue. To push the shadows toward neutral would either require flattening the B curve or letting the snow in the sun get a little yellow. I've been known to do that, but this year, it's blue snow shadows. Even if you don't do LAB, it would be the same choice, just not achieved the same way.
    If not now, when?