R1 Infrared Modification

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 26, 2007 in Cameras
Ran into a snag with the Sony R1 Infrared Mod
maxmax wrote:
i have been playing with the DSC-R1, and this is what I have found so far:

- With an IR filter, hot spotting can be a problem. The hot spotting is related to aperture. The larger the aperture, the less the problem I found that under F4.0, I rarely could see a hot spot on the viewfinder.
- With no IR filter or a CC1 filter, I don't get a hot spot.
- Hot spotting occurs with the Hoya R72, MaxMax 715, 830 and 1000.
- Oddly, hot spotting does not occur with the MaxMax XDP.
- I tried changing the angle of the filter relative to the camera and the hotspots still occur. Therefore, the hot spotting is related to the IR frequencies but is internal to the camera.
- What is happening in the camera at IR frequencies is unknown. Could be related to lens coatings that reflect IR, the somewhat reflective CMOS or some combination. The DSC-R1 has the worst hot spotting I have seen yet.

So, I think you could use the camera as is with an XDP filter for IR shooting and CC1 for normal. Another possibility is that I *might* be able to install a 715 internal filter. That might fix the hot spot problem, but I don't know for sure. I learn more about these cameras all the time.

I was surprised to see the XDP work well. Probably has something to do with the particular frequencies passed by the XDP and the reflective frequencies of the camera optics.

I'm passing on the R1 for now. Back to the DSLR drawing board!

Comments

• nojkenojke Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Darn... ne_nau.gif

I was hoping to see some 10 MP Modded IR pics... o well guess i have to wait.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Yep, me too. I was looking forward to it! I'm going back to a Rebel XT mod.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    For those of us less in the know, can someone supply a short explaination of this "hot spotting"?

TIA - really appreciate it.
    edited March 1, 2006
    For those of us less in the know, can someone supply a short explaination of this "hot spotting"?

TIA - really appreciate it.

Light reflection from sensor to lens and back to sensor - makes "hot" area in center of frame - like overexposure...
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    I'm still on the fence. A long time ago I bought a used D60, intending to convert it to IR. The price tag gave me pause.

Now it's wide angle that's giving me pause. Infra-red, wide angle and landscapes are best pals. The D60 can't take the 10-22. A Rebel will. That would mean selling the D60 and doing what Andy did - getting a low-cost 350D and modifying it.

As I said, I'm torn and fence-sitting. It's not my nature to fool with this stuff more than once. So whatever I do will be something I live with for a long time.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited March 1, 2006
    BTW, thanks for posting that info, Andy.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited March 1, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I'm still on the fence. A long time ago I bought a used D60, intending to convert it to IR. The price tag gave me pause.

Now it's wide angle that's giving me pause. Infra-red, wide angle and landscapes are best pals. The D60 can't take the 10-22. A Rebel will. That would mean selling the D60 and doing what Andy did - getting a low-cost 350D and modifying it.

The 10-22 makes it way worthwhile IMO. And the 8mpx sensor on the XT.
  • DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    pffffffffffftttttttt!

you need one of these

http://maxmax.com/canon_5d.htm
    Andy wrote:
    The 10-22 makes it way worthwhile IMO. And the 8mpx sensor on the XT.
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
    edited March 1, 2006
    Dani wrote:
    pffffffffffftttttttt!

you need one of these

mwink.gif you know, he's also modded the 1Ds Mark II naughty.gif
    edited March 1, 2006
    Dani wrote:
    pffffffffffftttttttt!

you need one of these

lol3.gif Ideal... but a weeeeee bit pricey!
    Sid.
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    mwink.gif you know, he's also modded the 1Ds Mark II naughty.gif

damn.... that would be nice.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:

So what exactly is MaxMax's explanation saying? Did he remove the hot filter and replace it with a clear glass filter and when he used the IR filters like the R72 under F4, it began to show hot spotting on the images? Or are all of these complications because he didn't modify it yet and with the use of a just IR filters the camera still produces hot spotting?
  • MoonshotMoonshot Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:

I have been researching the IR conversion and I checked to see how you were progressing on the R1. It looks like a bust. Do you know anything about the conversions done by David Burren, http://burren.cx/photo/ir_cameras.html, The cost is significantly lower. I am considering the conversion of a Nikon D50 because of the low body cost.
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    david burren ir conversions
    david burren is a founding member of a local forum that i use- passionforpixels.com-he is currently doing some 5D conversions for some people doing ultra wide infrared landscapes-i haven't heard anything bad about his conversions-he seems to know what he is doing and will probably get my business in the future
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
    edited March 2, 2006
    Moonshot wrote:
    I have been researching the IR conversion and I checked to see how you were progressing on the R1. It looks like a bust. Do you know anything about the conversions done by David Burren, http://burren.cx/photo/ir_cameras.html, The cost is significantly lower. I am considering the conversion of a Nikon D50 because of the low body cost.

Nope - I'm sticking with Dan from Maxmax - his outfit is impeccable, service great, results are outstanding. I've had a number of cameras done by Dan at maxmax.com and I can't say enough good things about him.

Choice is good though!
    edited March 2, 2006
    Nice piccies on that site, gtc.
    Sid.
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Nice piccies on that site, gtc.

yes its a good site-its not too big and the one a day critique gallery works well too
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 2, 2006
    Dani wrote:
    pffffffffffftttttttt!

you need one of these

Dani,

Andy gave you that great little (well, ... not "so" little) lens. Wouldn't it be be swell of you to reciprocate with an IR modded 5D? I bet you wouldn't have to send him another food item like, well, forever!

ne_nau.gif

Just thinking out loud (... and I'll shut up now.)

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Marc-AndreMarc-Andre Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 28, 2006
    XDP flter ?
    Andy wrote:

Hello Andy,

I was just about to order a sony R-1 from maxmax when l read your post.
    I went back to the web site an there is very few informations about the XDP filter. Does it compare to any infrared filters on a sunny day, I use to shoot with a kodak #29 filter with the Konica infrared film and the results were generally pleasing.Do you have any pictures than you can share with us taken with this, rather uncommon filter.

thanks in advance

Marc-Andre
    Montreal
    edited March 28, 2006
    Marc-Andre wrote:
    Hello Andy,

I was just about to order a sony R-1 from maxmax when l read your post.
    I went back to the web site an there is very few informations about the XDP filter. Does it compare to any infrared filters on a sunny day, I use to shoot with a kodak #29 filter with the Konica infrared film and the results were generally pleasing.Do you have any pictures than you can share with us taken with this, rather uncommon filter.

thanks in advance

Marc-Andre
    Montreal

Bonjour Marc-Andre,

XDP allows more blue light in, enabling you to make photos like this:

7282241-L-1.jpg

7282256-L-1.jpg

5054504-L-1.jpg

4966548-L-1.jpg

I hope this helps!
  • Marc-AndreMarc-Andre Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 28, 2006
    Wow!
    Andy wrote:
    Bonjour Marc-Andre,

XDP allows more blue light in, enabling you to make photos like this:
    I hope this helps!

Thanks a lot, yes that helps. If you convert these files into grayscale mode
    i presume that would looked like to a B&W IR rendering. That reassures me. I will probably recondider to buy a R-1 after all.

thanks again
  • IRNewbieIRNewbie Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 15, 2006
    The Compleat Newbie questions...
    Hello Forum. I'm an "advanced amatuer" photographer, looking for a little advanced help. I'm considering getting into IR photography using my recently purchased Sony R1. I'm considering the maxmax solution, using the XDP filter and CC1 filters, as mentioned here.

My question is probably more generic to IR photography, but since you guys seem to know your stuff, I thought I'd ask here.

The question is, is there anything in particular I need to know about IR photography, once I have a camera modded for it? For example, what will the EVF show me? I suspect regular color. Also, do I need to use Manual mode or can I use P mode, or even Auto mode? i.e.: Do I need to adjust the settings - aperture, shutter, EV, ISO, whatever - from what the cameras metering system is telling me I should be using? Any tricks of the trade, so to speak? Any good books on the subject, or web sites? I've been to one or two, but they seem to be hugely technical in nature - do I need to be hugely technical to consider IR?

Thanks VERY much for your time and consideration.

Eric
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    Moonshot wrote:

Just now replying to this, a year late, because I just got a camera converted to IR by David Burren's company Khromagery. The reason I went with David is he is the only one that converts the Canon Powershot Pro1.

I am very pleased with his service and the results of the conversion. One thing to note about David, he is in Australia so you have to fill out some customs paperwork. I found that the whole process was very easy and I also discovered that USPS International Express Mail is reasonably priced and quite quick!

The first 15 images (as of this writing--I'm always adding more) were taken with the Canon Powershot Pro1/R72 modded camera.

http://gallery.primarycolors.com/infrared

I'm really new to IR and I'm still experimenting with WB settings (both in camera and in ACR) and PP techniques, but so far I'm pleased with the results.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug