Options

Solitary Morning: Sullivan's Island this AM

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited October 1, 2004 in People
went to walk the dogs, took my camera, very hazy, foggy. Had everything set decided to shoot on RAW....just to see how much light on the water it could take. OK, I admit it right here, don't flame, I forgot the ISO was on 1600.

This IMO, would still make a good challenge entry, I fixed it a bit with layers and instructions in a book. I have at least 200 photos, I think anyway, at 1600 ISO. I got there about 7:30, sun rises here about 7, but it was behind clouds, this was an early shot, I stayed until about 10 AM. Will put some more photos here. I was hunting, why not, pictures of my dogs, light on the water and alone and together. Geez............... I am going to have to make myself a list of things to check. ginger
(I want to see how this cleaned up)
9223125-L.jpg
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2004
    1600! What a bummer...
    Gosh, I hate when s**t like that happens. Hope you can salvage a few.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    together
    This is the second time, in the same place, at the same time, same circumstances, that I have done that: shot at 1600 ISO completely messed everything up.
    I get up, decide to go to the beach, throw shorts on and a top, get water for the dogs, get my camera case, leash the dogs.............on and on and on, and it is just me, when Bill has gone with me this is not happened, too much to think about. I like that first shot, it is the one I would like to save. It was very foggy then, maybe I should just let it go foggy. It should have been better than these women as it was taken while it was still a bit dark, these women were about an hour later.

I am exhausted, too, and it is raining. I know there are good shots in the rain, somewhere................ I just don't know where, couldn't take the dogs. I really went this morning for the dogs and that is what I should think about. They enjoyed it. They really needed to get out. Bill has been out of town, late when he has been home, they have had no exercise, and it was starting to show, antsy dogs.
    9226877-L.jpg

9226878-L.jpg

I am thinking of ordering a book on RAW, what do you all think?

9226879-L.jpg

9226880-L.jpg

9226881-L.jpg

9226883-L.jpg

9226884-L.jpg

9226882-L.jpg

See the sun was trying to burn through. This is a cross at the bottom of the vertical. Had people fascinated. I took a lot of photos of it, but took them off.

ginger
  • Options
    More alone and together at the beach
    Can you all see the beach erosion. And this is not a problem beach. I have been taking pictures in this area all summer, and we have never seen these neat, but not good, cliffs before. The tide was really in as I was leaving, too.

9227387-L.jpg

This is the Sullivan's Island Air Force, below, a grab shot, fast!

9227388-L.jpg

9227391-L.jpg

9227395-L.jpg

9227397-L.jpg
  • Options
    Who the heck is Etliss??

Far be it from me to say anything. I personally think his image is cropped too tight, but what do I know.

ginger
  • Options
    together
    9229759-L.jpg
  • Options
    Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    ginger_55 wrote:
    9229759-L.jpg
    Your shots are beautiful! what wonderful scenery! where is it? I love the one with the cross floating in the water.......

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    Thank you. I live right outside, north, of Charleston, SC, just over the bridges, not 5 minutes. This island is about 7 to 15 minutes from here, depending on traffic, the bridge being open, etc. It is Sullivan's Island, SC. I have lived there, on the Isle of Palms, and here, Mt Pleasant. This summer I have spent a lot of early morning time on the beach. Until 10 AM, they can be off leash, so they have their fun, and I take pictures.

I just have to get my act together a bit, twice now I have gotten the wrong ISO. I must say, I saved more shots with RAW than I did the last time with jpeg. Laughing.gif

I love the shots of your daughter, too.

I would say she is a doll, but she is alive, so she is a very cute, adorable subject. (child)

ginger
  • Options
    Thanks. Yes she is definately alive - can tell by the dribble!
    I haven't had a chance to experiment with the RAW function yet. Still getting used to the simple functions on the camera. looks like fun though.... what camera are you using?

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    AussieKate wrote:
    Thanks. Yes she is definately alive - can tell by the dribble!
    I haven't had a chance to experiment with the RAW function yet. Still getting used to the simple functions on the camera. looks like fun though.... what camera are you using?
    I just got a dRebel in February. I have a Canon Elph, too. I used that for years. I have three main lenses. This morning I had the 28-135 IS on all morning.

There was sand all over the place. I was afraid to change lenses. Heck, I was afraid to change compact flash cards, I did that............but I worry with all that sand.

ginger

What are you using? I notice you are in Australia. I have a dog list friend on the other side of Australia. I don't remember exactly where. And I have a friend, same list, she lives in New Zealand, don't know where there either.

Neither of them are into photography. Can't get a picture from them for anything.
  • Options
    i'm using a fiji S7000. i love it, but am having trouble figureing stuff out. I'm very new to digital photography ..... (photography full stop really, though I've always loved it). thank god for the 'auto' function - or i'ld be lost!
    i know what you mean about the sand! i'm terrified of getting grit in the camera and then being up for hundreds in repair costs! I'ld love to take some of our dogs at the beach, but they just go nuts and we get covered in water/mud/sand ! i'm figuring the way out is to get a telephoto lens and then I can sit back and take shots from a distance!!!
    (we have a gordon setter and a golden retriever) (your corgis are geogous!)1drink.gif

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    AussieKate wrote:
    i'm using a fiji S7000. i love it, but am having trouble figureing stuff out. I'm very new to digital photography ..... (photography full stop really, though I've always loved it). thank god for the 'auto' function - or i'ld be lost!
    i know what you mean about the sand! i'm terrified of getting grit in the camera and then being up for hundreds in repair costs! I'ld love to take some of our dogs at the beach, but they just go nuts and we get covered in water/mud/sand ! i'm figuring the way out is to get a telephoto lens and then I can sit back and take shots from a distance!!!
    (we have a gordon setter and a golden retriever) (your corgis are geogous!)1drink.gif
    I usually change lenses. I don't know what was going on today. Sandier than usual, too. With the hurricanes there have been a lot of changes to the beach, I had sand on me, on the camera bag, just all over. I really never thought about changing lenses, though.

I am more apt to use the 18 to 70, or whatever came with the camera. I used to come in close like you do, now I like to show the setting of the shot. Usually. Sometimes I just put a lens on and work with whatever I can do with that lens, but I often change lenses at the beach.

I am just thinking as I am typing. I think the sand was only part of it, the other part was the fog. The lens I was using seemed to take care of about everything...............except reminding me to change the ISO setting.

What is a Fiji S7000? People mention cameras...........there are so many now, I have not kept up. When I did film, I had a Nikon. Now I know the Canons, most of them. But I am clueless to a Fiji and most of the others that people are using.

ginger
  • Options
    yeah - i'm a bit the same way. don't know what people are using just by the name .... s7000 is a digital SLR style thingo .... basically black with a lot of buttons! :D its fun to work with .... all the reviews say that it is one of the best amature cameras under $1,000 (AUS). BUt of course, now I want all the wonderful toys that go with it .......

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    LBGLBG Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    This one...
    I really like the color and compostion of this photo...lbg

9227395-L.jpg
  • Options
    LBG wrote:
    I really like the color and compostion of this photo...lbg

Thank you, LBG, I remember taking it. They were sitting right behind me and I had that 28-135 lens on. Difficult to take a photo right behind me with that, but if I moved, so would they. I took the shot.

I almost didn't work it up. I thought the back dog, Skye, looks a bit soft, but I thought in the scheme of things, that probably didn't matter since it did show my dogs well, as they were. And Skye does look happy.

Thanks, now if you could find one that looks alone, lol, that is what I need.

ginger
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    ginger_55 wrote:
    went to walk the dogs, took my camera, very hazy, foggy. Had everything set decided to shoot on RAW....just to see how much light on the water it could take. OK, I admit it right here, don't flame, I forgot the ISO was on 1600.

This IMO, would still make a good challenge entry, I fixed it a bit with layers and instructions in a book. I have at least 200 photos, I think anyway, at 1600 ISO. I got there about 7:30, sun rises here about 7, but it was behind clouds, this was an early shot, I stayed until about 10 AM. Will put some more photos here. I was hunting, why not, pictures of my dogs, light on the water and alone and together. Geez............... I am going to have to make myself a list of things to check. ginger
    (I want to see how this cleaned up)
    Ginger,

Here is one more thing you can spend the money you don't have on. Noise reduction software. I have Neat Image, but I think there are some free ware programs available you may want to investigate. I use dial up but if you would like, I wll download the original RAW file and run Neat Image and send it back to you. Send me an E-mail if interested.

Sam
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2004
    Ginger, I've done it too! You still managed to get some lovely pictures though.

I don't think you need a book on RAW just keep practising and asking questions, there's not a lot to it really and it looks like you're doing greatthumb.gif

Neat image is available as a free down load as a demo, restricted features but still works well....

its here
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2004
    Thanks for the addy for Neat Image. I decided that it couldn't get much worse, so I downloaded it. The picture I want is unsavable. But thanks.

ginger