ffmpegX help -pls

EcoJamEcoJam Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited March 2, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I know it works for converting my .avi files (from a Canon SD550) to MPG1 because I've converted files (on 2 occasions it worked). The 2nd time, it took several tries, but I finally stumbled on the settings that worked.

No luck now after several (hundred??) attempts this time. What am I missing?, I've tried all the settings- mostly -- Video Codec: MPEG1[.MPG] (ffmpeg) & MPEG1[.MPG] (mpeg2enc) --- parameters: VCD, NTSC

on the first setting it does complete and create a file.. but.., on playback using QTime -- the video starts quirky, audio ticks and it craps out. On the second setting (mpeg2enc) - it does create a file, but when clicking to launch it in QT -- I get a QT Alert (... is not a file that QT understands (-2048)) -- what gives? How did it work before and not now?? What are the right setting for a Canon SD550 .avi file to MPeg1 ?

help pls ... this is the first thing I've encountered on a Mac that is not simple to use -- why doesn't QuickTime just offer the option to save as any format under the sun? (guess that q shows my basic lack of understanding any of this video stuff -- ..)

thks

Comments

• peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Hi. I have the Canon SD450 which has the same video codec as you & I also have a Mac. Listen, I feel your pain. I have also been down the mpeg-1 road & it can be a frustrating one sometimes. Yes, I know what you are talking about with ffmpegx. Sometimes it works, other times not so much. I have tried at least 10 different solutions for getting usable mpeg-1 vids & the best is an app called iVCD. Its not free & is only for PPC at this point (no Intel version yet), but its the only thing I have found that doesnt make me wanna throw my computer out the window when converting to mpeg-1.

If you have questions, just lemme know.
  • EcoJamEcoJam Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    Hi. I have the Canon SD450 which has the same video codec as you & I also have a Mac. Listen, I feel your pain. I have also been down the mpeg-1 road & it can be a frustrating one sometimes. Yes, I know what you are talking about with ffmpegx. Sometimes it works, other times not so much. I have tried at least 10 different solutions for getting usable mpeg-1 vids & the best is an app called iVCD. Its not free & is only for PPC at this point (no Intel version yet), but its the only thing I have found that doesnt make me wanna throw my computer out the window when converting to mpeg-1.

If you have questions, just lemme know.

Thanks for the feedback and insights -- I want to see if I can use ffmegX or something on the Mac. I did try to Demo iVCD -- maybe cause I did not pay - could not get it to work either -- can you easily gauge the size and fool with options to get it right (under 8MG for smugmug) before converting? -- I want to avoid having to edit my clips, which are generally 20-40 seconds long.

Great site BTW, looks like you are a master at smugmug
  • peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    EcoJam wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback and insights -- I want to see if I can use ffmegX or something on the Mac. I did try to Demo iVCD -- maybe cause I did not pay - could not get it to work either -- can you easily gauge the size and fool with options to get it right (under 8MG for smugmug) before converting? -- I want to avoid having to edit my clips, which are generally 20-40 seconds long.

Great site BTW, looks like you are a master at smugmug
    Hmm, im not sure what the limitations are in the demo version, but the full version works like a charm everytime for me. You can input the desired bitrate (under Expert Settings) & that will usually give you an idea. You may have to convert more than once though, to get it under the 8mb limit. But its pretty fast. What part exactly are you having trouble on??

Thanks for the compliments on my site. I have done allot of things to it. I am also using a theme designed by Mike Lane as well.