Revised Roughs

gildcogildco Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited March 2, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Thanks to all of you who gave me feedback on my two pictures. I have incorporated the suggestions that you made and would like your opinions about each of these "rough" shots. Either of them worth entering, considering the extraordinary talent of those who have won in the past?

River Birch Bark--Natural Rough
58186122-O-1.jpg

Sweet Gum Seeds: Rough on feet, rough on lawnmowers

58230936-L-2.jpg
Gil

Comments

• Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Hi Gil,
    I gotta tell you this. My son happened to come by while I was looking at your thread. I showed him your second photo and I said how would you describe this photo with one word - he said 'not smooth, rough'! (He's 12) I, on the other hand, like both photos, so good luck choosing!

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • gildcogildco Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Lol
    Neat story, Tessa. My wife and I laughed at your son's response. Incidentally, he's very perceptive.1drink.gif Thanks for the input; I sincerely appreciate it.
    Tessa HD wrote:
    I gotta tell you this. My son happened to come by while I was looking at your thread. I showed him your second photo and I said how would you describe this photo with one word - he said 'not smooth, rough'! (He's 12) I, on the other hand, like both photos, so good luck choosing!

Tessa
    Gil
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    Good morning Gil,

I'm probaby not going to be one bit of help but here goes. The gum nuts, nice shot, just don't do it for me and rough ( there is a sweet gum tree about 7' from my kitchen window). I think spiny, prickly, sharp, pointy.

I am a real sucker for birch bark, be it the white paper bark type or the river, fasinating, beautiful stuff and rough.

So guess which shot I like best and my thoughts might be way to personal on itne_nau.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    I still like both shots, but I'm beginning to lean towards the tree!! I was thinking how planting someone's bare foot in the second shot though would make more of a statement!!!!! Seriously, we all could relate to stepping on something rough! :hurt
    edited March 2, 2006
    Appreciate the input
    After thinking about your feedback, I allowed the thought that has been on the periphery of my mind finally to surface. The sweet gum seeds remind me more of "sharp" than "rough." You are also right on when you refer to stepping on one of them while barefoot: it is painful, and I speak from experience. Thanks for the input, saurora.
    saurora wrote:
    I still like both shots, but I'm beginning to lean towards the tree!! I was thinking how planting someone's bare foot in the second shot though would make more of a statement!!!!! Seriously, we all could relate to stepping on something rough! :hurt
    Gil
    edited March 2, 2006
    Thanks, Thusie
    You ARE help, and I appreciate your candidness. I also agree with your adjectives that more aptly characterize the spiney seeds than "rough." Because I have stepped on many of these seeds while walking in my yard and while barefoot, the words I used to express my pain were unprintable here but more aligned with "SHARP" than "rough." I also agree with your assessment of the beauty and variety of birch bark. Thanks for helping me make up my mind. I appreciate your taking the time to respond. Incidentally, your honesty is appreciated, and your delivery of criticism is diplomatic. No, it is not too personal at all, but well stated and just what I wanted (and what the others who ask for feedback want).clap.gif
    Thusie wrote:
    Good morning Gil,

I'm probaby not going to be one bit of help but here goes. The gum nuts, nice shot, just don't do it for me and rough ( there is a sweet gum tree about 7' from my kitchen window). I think spiny, prickly, sharp, pointy.

I am a real sucker for birch bark, be it the white paper bark type or the river, fasinating, beautiful stuff and rough.

So guess which shot I like best and my thoughts might be way to personal on itne_nau.gif
    Gil