What's your monitor temp in Kelvin?

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited March 3, 2006 in Finishing School
The tutorial for my ancient Eye One monitor calibrating software recommends a Kelvin temp on 5000.

That sure is warm.

I see on Wikipedia that sRGB is 6500, which is considerably cooler and brighter, is considered the norm for monitors working with photos and the web.

That sound right to you? What's your Kelvin?
General computer-users should set their PC monitor color-temperature to "sRGB" or "6500K", as this is what digital cameras, web graphics, and DVDs etc are normally designed for. Indeed the sRGB standard stipulates (among other things) a 6500K display whitepoint.
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 1, 2006
    I use 6500 on my 23in Cinema Display, and I think that is the hardware standard for is also waxy.
    I know that is what my Spyder2Pro sets up as the default, when I calibrate my monitor.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    I use 6500 on my 23in Cinema Display, and I think that is the hardware standard for is also waxy.
    I know that is what my Spyder2Pro sets up as the default, when I calibrate my monitor.
    thumb.gif Thanks PF. That's what I ended up using.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited March 2, 2006
    I just touched the top of my ViewSonic with my hand, and it didn't seem to be 6500º; more like 85ºF. :uhoh

OK, seriously... also 6,500K. In addition, my monitor also has an sRGB mode where temp, contrast and brightness are all preset for viewing photos. I have no idea if that mode is what a monitor spyder thingie would suggest, but it looks good enough to my old eyes.

I use another personal preset for everything else, as sRGB is way too bright for anything but editing photos.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • hooyahhooyah Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    Hmm how about differences betweeen a pc LCD monitor which is set to 6500k and a powerbook 15'' display which is calibrated to a cooler color of 7100k? Both my gamma are set to 2.2 BUT....i can manage to achieve only 2.4.

I had initially calibrated my PB to 6500k, but had found it to be too warm and yellowish in comparison to that of the LCD monitor when viewing pictures of the same type in the same color space. Only after calibrating it to 7100k , could i achieve a relatively close match

Is this fine?
  • cadderlycadderly Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2006
    I use in my Eizo ColorEdge CG210 6500º calibrated with Eyeone color prof. Color temperature for your monitor so depends of ambiental light.
    edited March 2, 2006
    So I finally, finally, finally got the Eye One to give me a good calibration.

I had to download the update and do the calibration in a shuttered room on an overcast day. Doing it by the dim bulb of a light did not give me good results.

So my Kelvin is spot-on at 6500, and my Luminance is at 99.2% While I was balancing the separate RGB channels, the Luminance stayed a wee bit low. I'm settling for 99.2% Luminance.

Sound right?
    Sid.
  • Destructo-BotDestructo-Bot Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2006
    9300 at home... but I don't do color corrections on that monitor :)

6500 at work... too bad the flourescent lighting gives everything its own cast :(
    edited March 2, 2006
    Wow, 9300? That's pretty blue and hot.
    Sid.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    6500 thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited March 2, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    6500 thumb.gif
    Hey David, how does that 99.2% luminance sound to you? Close enough for government work?
    Sid.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Hey David, how does that 99.2% luminance sound to you? Close enough for government work?

I've never done more that the OSX color calibration, so I don't know. I just know that I use 6500. I'm looking at that Huey, although I know you didn't like it....
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    The tutorial for my ancient Eye One monitor calibrating software recommends a Kelvin temp on 5000.

That sure is warm.

I see on Wikipedia that sRGB is 6500, which is considerably cooler and brighter, is considered the norm for monitors working with photos and the web.

That sound right to you? What's your Kelvin?

6500 with brightness at 85%.
    edited March 2, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I've never done more that the OSX color calibration, so I don't know. I just know that I use 6500. I'm looking at that Huey, although I know you didn't like it....

I'll sell you an unopened one for cheap.

But I have to tell the truth. After going through a proper (and painstaking!) calibration with the Eye One Display, including riding the separate RGB channels on my monitor, the final result is profoundly different to the Huey's, and makes much more sense to my eye.

That being said, if you want an unopened Huey for a bargain, I have one (Pantone website screwed up, didn't cancel my order, so I have two copies of a product I don't want.)
    Sid.
  • ratcheerratcheer Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    I use 6500 on my ViewSonic E90fb CRT.

Tim