Anyone care to comment on the 5D?

dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
edited March 3, 2006 in Cameras

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    Hi Kate

Here are a bunch of threads to peruse. I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you might have :D
    edited March 2, 2006
    dancinkate wrote:
    (my business is mostly weddings and in-studio portraits)

Lens suggestions?

I can't say enough about the 85 f/1.8 for in-studio portraits. A great value, sharp lens, super results. The 85 f/1.2 is 4x the price, some think it's 4x the value but I do not.

Weddings? You'll probably want to look at zooms is my guess. What's your budget?
  • dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    I found what I was looking for in those links......THANKS Andy! thumb.gif
    edited March 2, 2006
    dancinkate wrote:
    I found what I was looking for in those links......THANKS Andy! thumb.gif

Hi Kate,

Yeah - 5D is hard to search for -- so, I used Google Site Search

site:www.dgrin.com canon 5D

in the Google search box thumb.gif
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I can't say enough about the 85 f/1.8 for in-studio portraits. A great value, sharp lens, super results. The 85 f/1.2 is 4x the price, some think it's 4x the value but I do not.

Andy-
    any comment on the 100 f/2.0 versus the above?-

thanks
    george
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    I'd say that if you're truly into the business of doing weddings, then you should be able to justify the jump to a better DSLR. But which one?

It's hard for me to gauge your upgrade budget since you're currently shooting with a D-rebel, but if your business can't afford it just yet then don't break the bank with a 5D. It's a LOT more expensive than the 20D compared to the advantages it offers.

Personally I would opt for a 20D and some sweet lenses ANY day, given a set budget. Because if you get the 5D you've spent nearly $3000 before you even get a lens, and you're going to have to spend a LOT on lenses if you want to really make the 5D worth all that extra money you paid for it...

First what I'd do is wait and see whether or not the new 17-55 f/2.8 IS is "sharp as L" like Canon claims. If so then in my opinion it and a 20D would be the best move right now, given the extremely low price on the 20D. In a year from now, the 5D's price will have dropped a LOT more than the 20D's price, which is just about dropping below the $1000 mark as we speak...

But hey, this is just my opinion. Go down to your local store, handle both cameras, and THEN decide!

-Matt-

PS- No, I haven't handled the 5D, but I do have a bit of experience with the 20D and I don't think it would ever let you down as a wedding camera. Maybe in the studio you'd want to have a few more megapixels, but that really depends on your printing needs. You'd be surprised what 8 MP can do. I saw my local lab do promotional prints with the 20D that were measured in feet instead of inches...
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum