30D vs 5D vs 1dmkII Focus

BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
edited March 2, 2006 in Cameras
Thinking about getting a backup camera for my 1DmkII. I am spoiled by the 1DmkII focus system but can't afford 2 units and little more portability would be nice too.

Looking at the 30D and 5D, how do the focusing systems compare? Will the 30D have the same system as the 20D?
Greg
"Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Comments

• MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    Question.
    Bodley wrote:
    Thinking about getting a backup camera for my 1DmkII. I am spoiled by the 1DmkII focus system but can't afford 2 units and little more portability would be nice too.

Looking at the 30D and 5D, how do the focusing systems compare? Will the 30D have the same system as the 20D?

Can you tell a newbie on what makes the 1DmkII focus system so special?

iloveyou.gif Will it make me go "wow" like the very first time I hold Nikon F4 and slightly press the shutter-release??? I had N90 back then...
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    Bodley wrote:

from what i've been told the 30D's system is very much close to the 5D'sthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:
    Can you tell a newbie on what makes the 1DmkII focus system so special?

iloveyou.gif Will it make me go "wow" like the very first time I hold Nikon F4 and slightly press the shutter-release??? I had N90 back then...

Super Fast and Accurate. Especially important when shooting action.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    from what i've been told the 30D's system is very much close to the 5D'sthumb.gif

So how much of an improvement is this over the 20D?
    Greg
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    Pathfinder recently touched on this subject. Hope this helps.
    The Original thread goes a little more into the subject.
    pathfinder wrote:
    I do find the autfocus on the 5D is very similar to the 20D, and way poorer than the 1Series cameras. The 5d is not a sports shooters box. It is happier in a slower venue. I tried using the 5D to shoot birds in FLA, and found it missed a lot more shots due to AF than my 1DMkII.

For low light shots the 5D really rocks. I shot a ton of night shots at Disney Land in Orlando and was quite pleased with it. If I am not shooting sports or birds, the 5D is my tool of choice. But for birds, or faster subjects, it is not.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto