Palace at night

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
edited March 6, 2006 in Holy Macro
I haven't done much night shooting, so I would appreciate any tips you might offer.

58328142-L.jpg

Click on image for EXIF.

Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    nice shot
    but i would have included full building and inserted moon in photoshop to much space left in right side
    my opinion as i dont know what were the situation there thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    night shots
    Nice. Can we see more photos please ?:):
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    I love it. I would love to see the moon bigger and maybe make the building a bit darker.
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 3, 2006
    Thanks for the comments, guys.

Awais: Getting the whole building in the shot would have meant leaving too little sky. The three elements I was going for were the detail on the building, the late sunset sky and the crescent moon. I do agree that there is too much sky on the right, so I changed the crop below.

Antonio: Thanks. I am going to try to reshoot this one next time the crescent moon is in the right place of a late sunset sky. I learned a few things from this one, so hopefully it will be better.

CW: How about this:

58387153-L.jpg

I like the larger moon, but it looks lousy at 100%. I had already doubled its size in the original post and scaled it to 300% in this one. I was able to correct the noise using a surface blur, but I couldn't do anything about the in-camera sharpening. Next time I will try shooting the moon separately with a longer lens. Any other suggestions on how to make the moon look as big as we think it is would be welcome.

Cheers,
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    i think this is better what i noticed is circul around the moon is it natural ?
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited March 4, 2006
    i think this is better what i noticed is circul around the moon is it natural ?
    Awais,

You are probably referring to the sharpening halo at the bottom. No, it's not natural. Here are 100% crops of the moon as shot (just converted from RAW), and doubled and tripled in size for the two posted versions. The last one is really pretty awful.

58488682-L.jpg
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    Awesome Building
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I haven't done much night shooting, so I would appreciate any tips you might offer.

Click on image for EXIF.
    Hope you like it.
    Cheers,

That is one awesome building........the just dont make 'em like that anymore do they....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • jon3kjon3k Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 5, 2006
    absolutely amazing. that could be a postcard or a print for sale anywhere - STUNNING!
    edited March 5, 2006
    jon3k wrote:
    absolutely amazing. that could be a postcard or a print for sale anywhere - STUNNING!

Thanks, Jon. And welcome to Dgrin. clap.gif

Cheers,
  • Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    It may be just me, but it looks like the building is tilted to the left.
    I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    Stunning photo very good job Richard

Thanks
    Fred
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 5, 2006
    "I haven't done much night shooting, so I would appreciate any tips you might offer."

you could have fooled me-

as an aficionado of night photos, I think it's a great shot-

george
    edited March 6, 2006
    Thanks George and Fred. :D

Duckys: You may be right ne_nau.gif. There is really no reliable point of reference. Shooting a truly massive building from nearby is tricky. The building itself is warped by the lens and I did some perspective correction in post. So the verticals can't be trusted. The horizon at the right is defined by some distant hills, so that's no good either. I'm usually fairly picky about level horizons and this one looked OK to me, but I don't remember how much wine I had consumed before doing the processing. Not remembering is usually a bad sign. 1drink.gif

Cheers,