Nikon and full frame

JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
edited March 5, 2006 in Cameras
I just recently subscribed to a Nikon listmail and this guy from Japan (the moderator of the list) said this in email to everyone:

There is no idea about pricing out yet, because the camera is still in
the testing stage. I heard from 2 different people, one in the
USA and one here in Tokyo, that the camera looks very much like the
D2x (which is a nearly perfect shape anyway) and sports a 24MP
(almost) FF sensor. The sensor seems to be a development by Sony
again.

Except the feature that you can use FF or DX lenses - the latter
switches the camera automatically into a DX High Speed Crop mode with
a 1,5 factor and 12MP just like the D2x - there seem to be no big
surprises or additional features, but both sources say that the images
- which I didn't see - are so incredible sharp and full of detail,
that D2x images look pale in comparison.

I can only imagine that the price tag is way higher than the D2x,
but at this point in time there can be only guesses, because the
market can develop in all directions and if Canon releases something
similar cheaper, Nikon has to react on this too. But yes, I expect at
least a list price of $10k, with a street price probably cheaper.

Just FYI: the current list price for the D2x is 600,000yen in Japan,
while you can buy it for about 480,000yen.

interesting.

A friend told me:
"I would worry about lens resolution with that many megapixels crammed in that 35mm sensor, not to mention how small the pixel would be. I doubt if Nikon or Canon can do that while retaining quality.."

Thoughts or comments?

Comments

• chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    JohnR wrote:
    Thoughts or comments?

Yes. I want two.iloveyou.gif And I'll believe it when I see it since the D200 was in the rumor stages for almost a year!!! ne_nau.gif
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
  • JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    chuckice wrote:
    Yes. I want two.iloveyou.gif And I'll believe it when I see it since the D200 was in the rumor stages for almost a year!!! ne_nau.gif

and they in fact DID come out with the D200. So perhaps by the time they do come out with this I can afford it! rolleyes1.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    I hope it's true. Competition is good for all of us. 1drink.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2006
    Interesting John. I have trouble with the 24 MP though. The $10,000 price tag would present an interesting choice - my marriage or the camera. headscratch.gif

Good thing I love my D2X. :D
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    I'll believe it when I see it. It seems very un-likely of Nikon to have (whether by accident or on purpose) information about something this big leak out this far in advance.

But hey, it just means a D200 will be $XXX cheaper by the time I go to buy one, right?

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited March 3, 2006
    JohnR wrote:
    ...interesting.

A friend told me:
    "I would worry about lens resolution with that many megapixels crammed in that 35mm sensor, not to mention how small the pixel would be. I doubt if Nikon or Canon can do that while retaining quality.."

Thoughts or comments?

Thanks John,

I would also be interrested in how well it works.

There is no doubt that high-megapixel count sells cameras. People had the same concerns about the Canon 1Ds MKII at 16 MPix; how many lenses can support that resolution? I'm not sure we ever had a definitive answer to that question.

I think we just have to wait and see if this plays out as a "real" product, or just a "concept". I have no doubt that eventually someone will produce a 35mm FF dSLR camera at 22-24 MPix total resolution.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this will happen,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    I thought no one needed or wanted full frame any more....just like they didnt' need or want more then 4mp (smile)

I hope it comes out...as a Canon shooter...I cheer on all the advances the other companies make.

Lee
  • NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Combo FF and DX lens mount?
    Is this possible? Is it possible to have a mount that accepts both FF and DX lenses? I know the Canon EFS mount supposedly has a shorter 'back-focus' and has an element that extends into the body, closer to the image plane. This element means that the EFS glass could never be mounted on a FF camera as the larger FF mirror would hit the element while moving upwards. Is the Nikon DX mount different in this respect? Or would this combo mount body have some sort of special mirror w/ some sort of compound movement that would keep it clear of the lens?

If Nikon could make that happen, they would clean up. It is literally the best of both worlds!
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Laughing.gif! I once heard this question asked on Nikonians or DPReview, and the other forumers just about bit the guy's head off- they called Canon utterly careless for making a lens that would damage the camera, and "Nikon would never do something something so mechanically stupid" ...or something along those lines. Talk about a touchy subject!

Anyway yeah to answer your quesion, Nikon's DX lenses are mountable on any and every Nikon F-mount camera, AND all of Nikon's F-mount lenses, all the way back, (to what, the 70's?) are mountable on Nikon's DSLR's. There is I think one lens that requires mirror lockup not to cause camera damage, but I think it's one of those insane fisheye lenses that has a front element the size of a parking garage mirror...

Therefore Nikon could easily make an FF camera that flipped to "DX mode" and would either crop a normal 35mm lens to 1.5x, or would "fit perfectly" with any 1.5x crop DX lens. This is what I'm pretty sure Nikon would do IF they ever were to go to FF. (And by "go FF" I mean "come out with an FF DSLR", because their DX DSLR body lineup would NOT get neglected or disappear if they went FF...)

-Matt-
  • SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    Y'know... this would be the time to make the viewfinder swappable like the F5. Think about it: mount a DX lense, and mount a DX viewfinder. Or have one with telescoping elements. eek7.gif That would rock.

I'd love more viewfinder options on dSLRs.
    edited March 4, 2006
    SCS_Photo wrote:
    I'd love more viewfinder options on dSLRs.

YES!!!
  • zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    ...Anyway yeah to answer your quesion, Nikon's DX lenses are mountable on any and every Nikon F-mount camera, AND all of Nikon's F-mount lenses, all the way back, (to what, the 70's?) are mountable on Nikon's DSLR's. There is I think one lens that requires mirror lockup not to cause camera damage, but I think it's one of those insane fisheye lenses that has a front element the size of a parking garage mirror...

If I recall correctly, that was a 3rd party (Peleng) fisheye lens, not a Nikon or DX lens. But you're right: the F-mount is universal.