Aussie Internet Retailers

nokout3839nokout3839 Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
edited March 4, 2006 in Cameras
Hi All,

Im in southwest vic and need to buy a EF 50mm 1.8 Lens. Anyone got some recomendations on a good internet retailer, the shops down here dont know s!*t from clay.

Cheers, Nigel

All care but no responsibility

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    I got my 10-22 from Paxtons in sydney...dearer than theivebay hong kong but they are not a dear lens anyway. Their mail service & dealing with one small issue i had was spot on....i would certainly deal with them again.
    edited March 3, 2006
  • nokout3839nokout3839 Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Humungus wrote:

Im a bit hesatant on the old ebay, i really would like to start building a bit of a relationship up with a good dealer. So really now that I think about it internet shopping is not a huge thing and I dont mind paying a bit more. My next lens that i want to save up for is either a 24-70 f2.8L or a 24-105 f4L and that is where I really need to trust the seller that Im not getting a shifty international warranty or something.

The 50s a bit of a test run.

Thanks for the reply Gus, anyone else?

edited March 3, 2006
    Mate do remember that any L glass has international warranty...i proved that in 0z with a grey market L lens.

Paxtons wanted $1900 0z for my 135 f/2 & andy picked it up for me at B&H ready for me when i got to Los Gatos...cost me $1100 0z. For those sort of savings im a big fat caramel tart.

But as i said...nothing wrong at all with Paxtons mail service.
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Don't buy from hong kong on ebay....especially not from digital rev....just speaking from experience. Ordered a few items that never turned up....And took 7 weeks to get a refund. Not happy Jan...

Try: Here
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
    edited March 3, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Mate do remember that any L glass has international warranty...i proved that in 0z with a grey market L lens.

Paxtons wanted $1900 0z for my 135 f/2 & andy picked it up for me at B&H ready for me when i got to Los Gatos...cost me $1100 0z. For those sort of savings im a big fat caramel tart.

But as i said...nothing wrong at all with Paxtons mail service.

So basically whether I buy a greymarket or a proper lens the warranty is the same?

I will also need to be aware of import dutys and other general scallywag behavior. Any idea of the chance of missing the import dutys.

Cheers again, Nigel

edited March 3, 2006
    rahmonster wrote:
    Don't buy from hong kong on ebay....especially not from digital rev....just speaking from experience. Ordered a few items that never turned up....And took 7 weeks to get a refund. Not happy Jan...

Try: Here

Thanks Rah,

thats exaclty what I dont want, I dont mind if im buying crappy computer gear but with my camera gear I prefer to be safe than...

With the store you linked to, have you used them before? happy? They're prices seem to be good. Anyone else feel free to chime in.

Thanks, Nigel

edited March 3, 2006
    nokout3839 wrote:
    So basically whether I buy a greymarket or a proper lens the warranty is the same?

I will also need to be aware of import dutys and other general scallywag behavior. Any idea of the chance of missing the import dutys.

Cheers again, Nigel

Yep...its what i have found...watch out as plenty of people talk shit about it when they have never actually tried it but i simply proved it to be so as i needed the lens fixed & Andy..Steve Cav...Shay Stephens...Sam...Ian...Pathfinder all saw it with a jammed hood when it was 2 days old.

It was my 400mm & canon brissy didnt bat an eyelid & sent it off to sydney & i had it back repaired free in 3 weeks no questions asked what-so-ever. It was def a grey lens that i got from the US. I mentioned it in another larger camera shop a few weeks ago & they said that L has an international warranty.

Getting it back without paying tax 'eh headscratch.gif My sneaky trick #58 worked a charm ....but it wont work for mail unfortunately.
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 3, 2006
    Nigel,

you could try centre.net.au, they are located out in tullamarine.

I have bought filters from them, but not lenses. Their prices always seem to be quite competitive.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited March 3, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Nigel,

you could try centre.net.au, they are located out in tullamarine.

I have bought filters from them, but not lenses. Their prices always seem to be quite competitive.

Cheers,

David

Thanks DevBobo,

I am actually having a look at theyre site now.

Cheers, Nigel

edited March 3, 2006
    Thanks
    Thanks All, Looks like im going to go with centre.net.au prices seem right and look to be reputable.

I will give everyone a yell if anything out of the ordainary happens.

Cheers Again, Nigel

edited March 4, 2006
    Chris_S wrote:
    Here is a list of Australian Internet retailers I recommend and have used:
    https://www.jaldigital.com.au/

I forgot about them...i have bought a few things around the $400 mark from there...excellent to deal with via mail.