Samantha by windowlight

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited March 4, 2006 in People
Playing around with natural lighting. This gets real tough with an active 1 year old! This was taken at ISO 640 at f1.8 with my 85mm.

Any comments or suggestions?

57848326-L.jpg

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    I think under the circumstances, it's pretty darn good. nod.gif Wonderful eyes and expression! If I were to pick at it, I'd say the two-tone color on her/his skin (one tone from window light, the other from the overhead bulb) and the highlights on the top of her/his head aren't ideal.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    i like the reflection in the eyes and the facial expression. very nice.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I think under the circumstances, it's pretty darn good. nod.gif Wonderful eyes and expression! If I were to pick at it, I'd say the two-tone color on her/his skin (one tone from window light, the other from the overhead bulb) and the highlights on the top of her/his head aren't ideal.

Sid,
    I'm glad you brought this up. I've been trying to put my finger on what was happening with the coloration in this photo. When I played with the raw settings, this was the best I could do. I realize now that the problem was the two different color temps competing (overhead light in room and the window light). Thanks for pointing this out.

Do most people turn off all the room lights when they shoot with natural lighting? I probably could have done this with a reflector on her other side. I had a hard enough time keeping her in my sites!:D
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    talk about your baby blues! Samantha's eyes are gorgious in this shotclap.gif Love the expression too.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Very nice shot Mitch. I think you are probably better off turning off the overhead lighting. I like trying a b&w conversion with my "funky" mixed lighting pics. No white balance problems in b&w!
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    You might consider doing a tighter crop down to the top of her forehead. If you don't might losing the hair, it brings the focus back on her gorgeous eyes and you lose some of the distracting off-colored highlights. She's adorable, though!!!!