Boston Ballet, Studio Rehearsal...

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited March 3, 2006 in People
... 1 March, rehearsal for Grand Slam, opening 16 March. I will shoot the dress rehearsal for this ballet and also La Fille Mal Gardee opening 9 March.

I shot for more than 5 hours and culled down to a about 230 shots and then to these 16. Hope you enjoy!

58297713-L.jpg

58298289-L.jpg

58297051-L.jpg

58295839-L.jpg

58297406-L.jpg

58298708-L.jpg

58350973-L.jpg

58394298-L.jpg

58393554-L.jpg

58363796-L.jpg

58347087-L.jpg

58353117-L.jpg

58363009-L.jpg

58392153-L.jpg

58362940-L.jpg

58364175-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    wonderful shots..... clap.gif
    You captured the movements so well and they make me want to go back to my dancing days!
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    The strength, power, control and the grace of ballet dancers is unbelievable and fasintaing. You captured that well!
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Wow, some marvelous shots, there Rutt! What a great opportunity, I'm envious. Some of these are wonderful.

I have to say, I find the post-processing to be a little harsh and contrasty on their faces. Is that because you were fighting the white background?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    good stuff. i was just wondering if you're doing this for fun or if you were hired to do this. if i shot something for 5 hours i'd have to be getting compensated pretty well.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Wow, some marvelous shots, there Rutt! What a great opportunity, I'm envious. Some of these are wonderful.

I have to say, I find the post-processing to be a little harsh and contrasty on their faces. Is that because you were fighting the white background?

Yeah, I was fighting the light. Not necessarily the backgrounds, but the light was a little low for the amount of DOF and shutter speed I wanted. You can see that when the dancers are more still and when I shot portraits, I did better. There is great window light in this studio, but it varies a lot from day to day and this wasn't the best day.

I shot with both 1DmkII and 5D and one thing is very clear: 5D high ISO shots have a lot less noise. I was fighting the noise in those 1DmkII shots a lot in post.
    If not now, when?
    edited March 3, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I shot with both 1DmkII and 5D and one thing is very clear: 5D high ISO shots have a lot less noise. I was fighting the noise in those 1DmkII shots a lot in post.
    Oooh, that's interesting. The 5D has less noise at high ISO than does the 1DmkII. Good one.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited March 3, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Oooh, that's interesting. The 5D has less noise at high ISO than does the 1DmkII. Good one.

I wish that weren't true, because I like a lot of things about the 1DmkII better than the 5D. But it's very obvious, especially once I try to sharpen.

For The Nutcracker shoots, I eventually just left the 1DmkII at home in favor of the 5D. Maybe the 1DmkII N would be better?

Anyway, I love my 5D for available light photography. It's really amazing.
    If not now, when?
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Ballet Photos
    Superb set of pictures. thumb.gif
    Very well done. All very nice.thumb.gif
    Congratulations. thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    edited March 3, 2006
    binghott wrote:
    good stuff. i was just wondering if you're doing this for fun or if you were hired to do this. if i shot something for 5 hours i'd have to be getting compensated pretty well.

Unfortunately, I had to sign away my soul to do this. The Ballet is unionized, but I'm not a union member, which causes a problem. So all profit goes to The Dancer's Relief fund, which helps professional dancers adapt to life after their very short and unprofitable careers are over.

The company may use my shots for next year's programs or stuff like that, in which case there is hope for compensation. My contract with the company allows for that.

In the meantime, I'm hoping the exposure will be worth it. Nobody else is shooting these rehearsals. It may be that the juxtaposition of studio shots and dress shots will eventually lead to something more than internet posts.
    If not now, when?
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    I really enjoyed these!

Check out www.loisgreenfield.com

I bet you would love one of her workshops
    edited March 3, 2006
    4labs wrote:
    I really enjoyed these!

Thanks. Her work is certainly stunning.

The BB shots I've been taking, well, I've tried to be a fly on the wall and not get in the way of what was going on at all. Getting the dancers to pose, that's a great thought. I don't think it's happening until after they get these two performances out of the way, though. From the looks of yesterday's rehearsals, I think there's still a lot of work before opening nights.
    If not now, when?
    edited March 3, 2006
    4labs wrote:
    I really enjoyed these!

Great sutff, I recognize a ton of her work. She has the benefit of working in a studio, under controlled conditions, and it shows in the quality of her work. Very imaginative and creative.
    Sid.