How did Canon got white color lenses?

MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
edited March 6, 2006 in Cameras
I was wondering how did Canon end up making lenses in white? What was the reason? Marketing or there is more to it?

Comments

• langelislangelis Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2006
    Marketing
    MarkM6 wrote:
    I was wondering how did Canon ended up making lenses in white? What was the reason? Marketing or there is more to it?

I am guessing it's marketing. People come from all around me when I am shooting and ask that silly question: "are you a photographer" I don't think they would notice me if I had the common black lenses on.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:
    I was wondering how did Canon ended up making lenses in white? What was the reason? Marketing or there is more to it?
    Said to reduce the tendancy of metal to warp and shrink when heated by the sun... white reflects, black absorbs.

not all "L" lenses are white, some of the shorter ones are black...but ALL have the "L" red ring
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    Said to reduce the tendancy of metal to warp and shrink when heated by the sun...

ne_nau.gif I had always assumed it was to reduce air expansion inside due to pressure build up from heat. Maybe a bit of both.headscratch.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 3, 2006
    There are those who think it is just maketing hype, but stick a black lens in the hot sun all day long and feel it, and then do that with a white lens.

I know most of us do not spend the entire day in the sun, but think of the shooters at the NFL games or the World Soccor League games - those lenses may be in the sunlight all day long and still have to work. Canon says the Flourite lens elements tolerate high temps more poorly than glass lenses.

I would prefer black lenses, as white lenses just draw too much attention, but there you go. Then I'd have to shoot a Nikon I guess.ne_nau.gifscratch
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    ne_nau.gif I had always assumed it was to reduce air expansion inside due to pressure build up from heat. Maybe a bit of both.headscratch.gif

I have heard the heating up the inside of the lens often and the pressure thing is probably the technical reason but I can tell you why I like it. Shooting in AZ, the white lens don't get too hot to touch unlike black bodies and lenses.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Hey, i never thought of it like that, but that makes sense. Composite glider aircraft are usually white because of that reason too.
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    what you said is probably true gus, but i think its partly marketing too, i mean. you can have a 70-200 f/4L on there, and people still look at you like you have a 600 on it. they're just baffled by the white, and the next thing they always look at is my neck-strap... so i think its part legitimate reason, part marketing.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited March 3, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    what you said is probably true gus, but i think its partly marketing too, i mean. you can have a 70-200 f/4L on there, and people still look at you like you have a 600 on it. they're just baffled by the white, and the next thing they always look at is my neck-strap... so i think its part legitimate reason, part marketing.
    well, then why isnt the 17-40L white? or the 85L, etc etc...but guess that goes both ways :)
    edited March 3, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    well, then why isnt the 17-40L white? or the 85L, etc etc...but guess that goes both ways :)

they're smallerthumb.gif even though i don't think the 17-40 could be considered small... *shrug* maybe they set the bar at 70-200 zooms and up for primes?ne_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    I would prefer it black in a heartbeat. As PF said it draws lots of unwanted attention.

Some good ..

marshal #1 "..whos that flamin' idiot hangin' over the track wall with the huge white lens ?" ..

marshal #2 "..ne_nau.gif dunno, ive been ignoring him...just another bloody stupid freelance photographer ..i bet he will move quick when a car hits the wall there though"

Some bad ..

Me under a tree in the park on my knees using a tripod aiming vertically into a tree with maybe 300 screaming fighting rainbow lorikeets in it.

Passerby ...".. what are ya takin' a photo of mate ?...the birds ?"
    edited March 3, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    they're smallerthumb.gif even though i don't think the 17-40 could be considered small... *shrug* maybe they set the bar at 70-200 zooms and up for primes?ne_nau.gif

right...warping would makes sense on the longer lenses, but likely not as big and issue on the shorter, leading to the conclusion that it aint all marketing....
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Stuff and nonsense, just your typical urban legends being repeated here.

Good grief.

The truth, as usual, is a lot less glamorous. On February 13th, 1984 at the Canon Oita manufacturing plant on Kyushu Island, Fujin Dansei was on the catwalk above the long lens assembly line. The plant was undergoing some renovations and Dansei, notoriously stumblefooted, or as they say in Japan, "amai", kicked the bucket of whitewash off the catwalk and right onto an assembly line. Whitewash completely coated the lenses.

As luck would have it, Canon President and CEO Fujio Mitarai was touring the manufacturing facility that very afternoon. When the whitewash made a splash, everything came to an abrupt stop. It was one of those terrible, infinitely long pauses when nobody moved, nobody said anything. They all just looked in horror at what had happened, and waited to see how President Mitarai would react.

You may not be familiar with it, but in Japan the concept of saving face, or "boke bonkura", is a big deal. Mitarai, although the CEO, was very aware of lowly Dansei's "bijin bishonen", literally translated as "nakedness to exposed rear." Always a quick thinker, Mitarai saw the whitewash all over the expensive, immaculate production line... and broke out into a huge smile and clapped his hands with approval, a tradition known as "aho." In order to save Fujin Dansei's face, he declared that Dansei had given Canon a bold new look, and that from that moment on, all Canon big glass would be white instead of black. To further cover Dansei's "bonkura", the Canon lab came up with the heat dispersion story.

So there you have it. The real reason why Canon long lenses are white instead of black. By the way, here's a handy guide to all those Japanese words.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited March 3, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Stuff and nonsense, just your typical urban legends being repeated here.

Good grief.

The truth, as usual, is a lot less glamorous. On February 13th, 1984 at the Canon Oita manufacturing plant on Kyushu Island, Fujin Dansei was on the catwalk above the long lens assembly line. The plant was undergoing some renovations and Dansei, notoriously stumblefooted, or as they say in Japan, "amai", kicked the bucket of whitewash off the catwalk and right onto an assembly line. Whitewash completely coated the lenses.

As luck would have it, Canon President and CEO Fujio Mitarai was touring the manufacturing facility that very afternoon. When the whitewash made a splash, everything came to a abrupt stop. It was one of those terrible, infinitely long pauses when nobody moved, nobody said anything. they all just looked in horror at what had happened, and waited to see how President Mitarai would react.

You may not be familiar with it, but in Japan the concept of saving face, or 'boke bonkura", is a big deal. Mitarai, althought the CEO, was very aware of Dansei's "bijin bishonen", literally translated as "nakedness to exposed rear." Always a quick thinker, Mitarai saw the whitewash all over the expensive, immaculate production line... and broke out into a huge smile and clapped his hands with approval, a tradition know as "aho." In order to save Fujin Dansei's face, he mandated that Dansei had given canon a bold new look, and that from that moment on, all Canon big glass would be wite instead of black. To further cover Dansei's "bonkura", the Canon lab came up with the heat dispersion story.

So there you have it. The real reason why Canon long lenses are white instead of black. By the way, here's a handy guide to all those Japanese words.

lol3.gif thats funny. does anyone have any examples of long lenses that were made black before this happend?ne_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Haaahahaaaahahahaa
    Sid,
    I laugh out so fraking loud that my boss is asking what the hell...

Mannnn that was a good one. Tell me you waited for this reply!naughty.gif
    edited March 3, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:
    Sid,
    I laugh out so fraking loud that my boss is asking what the hell...

Mannnn that was a good one. Tell me you waited for this reply!naughty.gif
    lol3.gif Hey, I'm a history buff, what can I say?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited March 3, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Hey, I'm a history buff, what can I say?

i know you got that from an article, please tell me where. i have to bookmark it and show it to my Nikonian friends.:D
    Daniel Bauer

edited March 3, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    i know you got that from an article, please tell me where. i have to bookmark it and show it to my Nikonian friends.:D
    Nope, wrote it based on my exhaustive research of Canon history.

I got more. Wanna know why they only spell Canon with one 'n'?
    Sid.
    edited March 3, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

share your wisdom sid. :D
    Daniel Bauer

• Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Sid, I think you should save this knowledge for around the dinner tables in Utah :)Laughing.gif
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
    edited March 3, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

Please!!! Pleaseeeeeeeeee.....clap.gif
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Count me in on the 'N' story!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited March 3, 2006
    The word on white
    While we're all sitting on our hands waiting for the Canon with one "n" story, here's the poop on why their lenses are white (or off-white).

This page tells the story of the white lenses. Click #22, uses FLASH:

http://photoworkshop.com/canon/lessons/lessons_21-25.html
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Why are they white? Because the good guys always wear white.:D
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Since it is only the biguns, I'd say it is so the TV audience can tell Canon from Nikon on the football sidelines, ofcourse Tamron made a few big whites as well, but most are Canon.
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    lol3.gif thats funny. does anyone have any examples of long lenses that were made black before this happend?ne_nau.gif

80-200 f2.8 L aka "the magic drainpipe" aka highest rated Canon zoom ever on photodo
    edited March 5, 2006
    Blurmore wrote:
    80-200 f2.8 L aka "the magic drainpipe" aka highest rated Canon zoom ever on photodo

thought the 70-200 2.8 was canon's highest rated zoom...headscratch.gif
    Daniel Bauer

edited March 5, 2006
    edited March 6, 2006
    One quick note.
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Nikon also has "white" (actually light gray) colored lenses as an option for some of their more expensive entries:

You know... I, really am starting to believe that they [Nikon] are catching up to Canon! That's put them at 2nd palce.

What is said about the 2nd place; the first loser!

P.S. It does make me sad since I have never own any other SLR (Film or Digital) than Nikon.
  • CyclopsCyclops Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    Fluorite lens elements
    MarkM6 wrote:
    I was wondering how did Canon end up making lenses in white? What was the reason? Marketing or there is more to it?

I was told that the reason for the white paint is because the fluorite elements are much more temperature sensitive than glass.
    If dogs don't go to heaven... when I die, I want to go where they go. ---- author unknown