CH59: "On The Rocks"

mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
edited March 5, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well after bugging a lot of people, asking many questions and doing much research, I've finally started conducting my own IR photographs. I'm a big fan of Andy's and Frank Lemire's photographs, after seeing what they've done, I'm ready to take my first real attempt into the IR world. Hopefully I'll keep getting better.

Anyways, heres the story (if a photo ever needed one). On the way home, I kept my eye open for anything worth shooting and found this small ravine right next to a park. Hopped out of my car and decided to get down and low, snap on the IR & ND filters, pull my baseball cap back and shot away. I got lucky with this shot. An overcast started to form right above me soon after I was finished. Now its super cloudy in the valley of southern Nevada. I was thinking the rocks and the small tree growing in it depicted a symbol of roughness, the way something can still grow even within somewhat unfertile soil (desert sand) has always intrigued me. Thats the Stratosphere in the background, just in case you're wondering. I used a Sony F828 to capture this image.

Tell me what you guys think.

DSC02511.jpg
DSC02513.jpg

Comments

• ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Rough landscape:): I like IR too, never have tried it. One niggle thing I see the tower in the back is canted to the left as you look at the picture. I also sit crooked in my chair sometimes too, but think that rotating the pic just a bit CCW would fix it right up.
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    thanx for your thoughts hah, im not sure what you meant by rotating it though. can you give me a pt. of reference or something i can refer to? rolleyes1.gif
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Hi Mr. Peas,
    Coming from someone who is not a huge fan of IR, I do really like yours. It seems the IR was very complementary on those rough rocks! I agree with my predecessor that the horizon needs adjusted. It speaks 'rough' terrain to me! I wanted to say crop some off the sky, but you can't with the tree fitting so nicely in the photo.

tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
    edited March 3, 2006
    thanks Tessa. yeah its hard to crop the sky out with the tree there. it would eliminate the purpose of having it hah. but i think i can get away with darkening the sky a bit more so it looks like its naturally vignetting the shot.

oh and i finally noticed the tower, good looking out! ill fix that. thanks
  • juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    thanx for your thoughts hah, im not sure what you meant by rotating it though. can you give me a pt. of reference or something i can refer to? rolleyes1.gif

You can rotate the canvas in PS. Start with your largest uncropped image, because you're going to lose some. Using the measure tool (under the eyedropper), draw a straight line, either vertical or horizontal. In your case, draw the line on top of the tower, or exactly parallel to it, because you want the tower to be perfectly vertical. Then do Image->Rotate Canvas->Arbitrary.
    It will compute the proper angle to rotate the image so that the line you drew is vertical. Then, obviously, you make it rectangular again by cropping.
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
    edited March 4, 2006
    I didnt know you can do it that way. What I did was just place a window on top of PS's window, place it next to the tower and rotate it to a few decimal points using the rotate function after pressing CTRL + T. But I'll try that next time. Thanks!
    edited March 4, 2006
    This is the one I will probably submit. Any other suggestions in improving it?:

DSC02511.jpg
    DSC02511.jpg.html
  • queequegqueequeg Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    This is the one I will probably submit. Any other suggestions in improving it?:

DSC02511.jpg.html

Oh no, you PS'd the little cloud out? I rather liked it... gave it a sort of ominous feeling.

Although I suppose this is better, aesthetically speaking. The sky looks darker and provides more contrast to the foreground. Crazy cool. thumb.gif
    edited March 5, 2006
    queequeg wrote:
    Oh no, you PS'd the little cloud out? I rather liked it... gave it a sort of ominous feeling.

Although I suppose this is better, aesthetically speaking. The sky looks darker and provides more contrast to the foreground. Crazy cool. thumb.gif

Hah, if there were more clouds I would have probably kept them. But a single spec just takes away from the rocks. Also, I actually picked a different photograph. This one is different from the first one. I had a at least 3 or 4 shots when I fired in burst mode, this one came out the sharpest. So I kept it. I think this one is stronger and sharper than its yellow predecessor. thanks for your input!
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    Looks good Mr Peasthumb.gif