Options

Feedback? Here are 3 rough ideas...

spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
edited March 5, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here are 3. I'm thinking I might enter one in the "Rough" challenge.

Any thoughts???

Thanks so much!!
Trish

#1 rough tractor

58452815-M.jpg

#2 rough shadows

58453567-M.jpg

#3 rough window

58453573-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    My fav is the second photo. I like the way the shadows 'ripple' across the metals. I think the element you're aiming for is 'a rough environment' with a touch of urban artistry. You should spend more time at the area and see what other types of shots you can compose and maybe focus more on the urban grafitti. :pokekeep poking around!
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Hi Trish,
    nice set of photos! the one that sticks out most to me is #2. That is interesting and I love the lighting and shadows. Boy that is one rough tractor though! From these photos I can picture you taking these from some old abandoned, city warehouse near a junk yard! hope you had someone with you! If it were me, since there are some strong lines in your 2nd one, I might try to make them perfectly level horizontally. Like the line along the bottom has a little slope to it. But to me that's only nitpickin. I love the photo anyways.

tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    the second shot really catches my eye. That one gets my vote out of the three. thumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    OvisOvis Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Second shot...level it out, then crop it really focussing on the center. Maybe a little shadow in the upper left and lower right corners. I'd take out the top row of glass only revealing the bottow row.
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif #2 is the one that caught my eye.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    Yes, like #2!
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    My fav is the second photo. I like the way the shadows 'ripple' across the metals. I think the element you're aiming for is 'a rough environment' with a touch of urban artistry. You should spend more time at the area and see what other types of shots you can compose and maybe focus more on the urban grafitti. :pokekeep poking around!
    Thanks for the comments Mr Peas!!

I would LOVE to 'spend more time at the area', but I'm not entirely sure of my welcome. Something about the chain on the door and the window I had to crawl through. rolleyes1.gif

But I am planning on trying to get back for some morning light. The sun will be coming in the other side of the building and I have an idea that will be pretty special.

I like to stay away from focusing too much on the grafitti because I think of that as a reproduction of another artist's work. I like having their work as an element of mine, but I know a few street artists, and it's considered bad form.

I think #2 is my favorite too.

cheers!
    Trish
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2006
    Tessa HD wrote:
    nice set of photos! the one that sticks out most to me is #2. That is interesting and I love the lighting and shadows. Boy that is one rough tractor though! From these photos I can picture you taking these from some old abandoned, city warehouse near a junk yard! hope you had someone with you! If it were me, since there are some strong lines in your 2nd one, I might try to make them perfectly level horizontally. Like the line along the bottom has a little slope to it. But to me that's only nitpickin. I love the photo anyways.

tessa
    Thanks!!

It's even more romantic that you've imagined. Not quite a junk yard, but an old abandoned Warehouse in a run down ship yard. Parts of the walls are missing on the bulkhead side and when you're inside the warehouse you can lean right out over the water. It's really a beautiful and strange place.

Here are some shots of the outside of the building that I took in December.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll fool around with the leveling and see if it improves the image.

cheers!
    Trish
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    wow trish, what an interesting place!
    thanks for sharing!
    tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341