Rough Edges

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited March 4, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
This picture makes me think of the ruins of an ancient fortress rising out of a snow plain. Any thoughts or comments on it as an entry in the "rough" challenge?

58450285-L.jpg

Virginia

Email

Comments

• Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Virginia,
    I love this photo! Can I make a painting out of it?! I really like how the root travels off to the right - that really sets this off. The whole thing is simple yet is soooo my taste! Guess I should comment too on how it relates to the challenge! I think it totally works - the smoothness, softness, negative space of the snow really sets off the roughness of the stump. Two thumbs up for me. Unless it's the wine talkin, but I don't think so. I love this style, very artistic and would make a great painting.

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    Tessa HD wrote:
    I love this photo! Can I make a painting out of it?! I really like how the root travels off to the right - that really sets this off. The whole thing is simple yet is soooo my taste! Guess I should comment too on how it relates to the challenge! I think it totally works - the smoothness, softness, negative space of the snow really sets off the roughness of the stump. Two thumbs up for me. Unless it's the wine talkin, but I don't think so. I love this style, very artistic and would make a great painting.

Tessa
    Reminds me of that castle in France. forgot the name....
    It's a nice photo! I love stuff like that.
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    This is a nice shot. I love it. When I look at it, "rough" is not what comes to mind first. It's... beautiful. The white snow takes the rough out of it for me. I agree with Tessa... It would look nice on a wall framed.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
  • DirgeelucidatrDirgeelucidatr Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 4, 2006
    Nice sybject
    It'd work just fine. But I guess the negative space distracts me a lot. May be a different angel would work out better :)
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to comment.

You are right, Linda. It does look like Mont Saint Michel! I knew I was getting that ancient castle feeling from somewhere.

I appreciate your observation Dirgeelucidatr, although I see it differently. I do have more of a closeup of the tree stump (which is actually not very big and sits alone in a frozen, snow-covered lake), but it is just a picture of a rough stump. For me, what you see as negative space is a crucial element in the composition. It is what makes me like the photograph so much. Different strokes for different folks, as they say. :):

I will probably enter this picture in the challenge (if I enter anything, that is), although I must say the competition is fierce - yet again - and there are already a number of entries that I love, with more in the works!! If I do enter the picture, I'm thinking I should lose the frame. Any thoughts on that?

Virginia

Email
  • DirgeelucidatrDirgeelucidatr Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 4, 2006
    Hmm
    I understand what you mean. :)
    It's encouraging to break the rules but the norm is to put the subject on the right or in the middle if dynamic results are expected. If you really wish to keep the negative space then just rotating the subject on right would make it better. Just my thoughts. thumb.gif

You may try changing the color of the frame. In my opinion it's fine :)

Oh and may be a rectangle photo would suit better.
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    Virginia,

What a lovely shot! I like the wisps of brown grasses in it very much. I think the fame would be your call, I can't say if it adds anything or distracts. Fancy way of saying I'm neutral on it:):

I also like the smooth snow and the rotted stump. I can't say it screams rough at me, but it is very fine and I'd enter it.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    I understand what you mean. :)
    It's encouraging to break the rules but the norm is to put the subject on the right or in the middle if dynamic results are expected. If you really wish to keep the negative space then just rotating the subject on right would make it better. Just my thoughts. thumb.gif

You may try changing the color of the frame. In my opinion it's fine :)

Oh and may be a rectangle photo would suit better.

Interesting. I was not aware that there was rule to be followed when framing a photograph for dramatic results, though it does make sense. Is this what you mean?

58507546-L.jpg

Of course, changing the perspective doesn't make the picture any rougher rolleyes1.gif , but does anyone think it improves its impact as a photograph? This version is growing on me.

Thanks, Thusie, for your thoughts and comments!

Virginia

Email