1dmkII backup

BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
edited March 22, 2006 in Cameras
I'm barking up a tree at a contract for two leagues. In the past I've shot my 1DmkII without a backup but I'm afraid "Murphy's Law" is going to catch up with me. I have redundancy in other equipment just not the camera ($$$$).

I shoot sports 90% of the time. What is the recommended backup? I'm looking at the 30D,5D or used 1D. I've had a 20D and it was a fine camera but I'd really like to have a spot meter. Any other suggestions?

Any ideas about which vendor will get the first 30D shipments and when those are expected?
Greg
"Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    If this is for sports, you need a used 1D. Folks are struggling to sell them for $1200 on fred right now. I bet you could get a decent price, for a camera you know intimately and which can deliver fast autofocus and burst rate for sports. From what I understand, the 5/10/20/30D don't have the fast autofocus.

Actually, I have a 1D in great shape I'm going to post pretty soon. deal.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    If this is for sports, you need a used 1D. Folks are struggling to sell them for $1200 on fred right now. I bet you could get a decent price, for a camera you know intimately and which can deliver fast autofocus and burst rate for sports. From what I understand, the 5/10/20/30D don't have the fast autofocus.

Ulterior motives?????? ( just kidding)

I am a little bit worried about the 1D having 1/2 the pixels.

A bit of clarification - in with the 90% sports are T&I's.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    I disagree with Waxy here. I think the 20d or 30d is a FINE backup to your 1D Mark II. It's 5fps, the autofocus is good! No, not as fast or good as the 1D Mark II, but good. Take the 5D out of the equation, if you were gonna go that much $$ you should just get a used 1D Mark II. But heck, at about a grand, the 20D is a super buy.

Remember, backup is your motive, right?
    edited March 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I disagree with Waxy here. I think the 20d or 30d is a FINE backup to your 1D Mark II. It's 5fps, the autofocus is good! No, not as fast or good as the 1D Mark II, but good. Take the 5D out of the equation, if you were gonna go that much $$ you should just get a used 1D Mark II. But heck, at about a grand, the 20D is a super buy.

Remember, backup is your motive, right?

All good points - also get a more walk-a-bout friendly and less intimidating unit in the 5/20/30D.

I was using my 1DmkII w/24-70mm/2.8 and 580ex on a bracket at a family gathering recently. My sister wanted a picture of my family so I let her borrow my camera. That was the first time I had looked at that unit from the glass side. I cracked up, OMG it was massive.
    Greg
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

curse you Sid.... i've been craving a 1Dumph.gif but don't have the $$ to back up a purchase.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited March 4, 2006
    Okay Guys/Gals (I'm so PC) What about this part of my question:

Any ideas about which vendor will get the first 30D shipments and when those are expected?
    Greg
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 4, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    curse you Sid.... i've been craving a 1Dumph.gif but don't have the $$ to back up a purchase.
    maybe you could sell everything you own, buy the 1D, hide in a cave for a year, then rebuy it all cheaper and end up with everything...

just sayin'

(why do you want a 1D? you don't even like sports, for everything else your 10D is actually a better camera headscratch.gif)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 4, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Okay Guys/Gals (I'm so PC) What about this part of my question:

There's like 3 other threads on this topic running, no? It's a crapshoot, put in an order with one of the big players (bh, adorama, circuit city/best buy keep getting better) and wait yer turn!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited March 4, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    It's a crapshoot, put in an order with one of the big players (bh, adorama, circuit city/best buy keep getting better) and wait yer turn!

If I get my contracts I'll need a backup by the end of March. Maybe I'll check into renting a camera.
    Greg
    edited March 22, 2006
    Fwiw
    Well, I decided to combine Andy and Waxy's advice. I just ordered the 1dmkIIn. Got to thinking about my need for a backup for some all day fast paced shoots. Just what will happen if I have a crash - well, I'll need a replacement to be as close to what I comfortable with as possible. Option was to rent or buy (new or used). Renting would be a hassle and expensive - buying used would be cheaper but needing it soon would limit my ability to find a trusted source - this left new so I bought the "n". Probably what pushed me to the "n" was the ability to save raw to one card and jpeg to the other. Somewhat of an additional failsafe.

Will probably sell one of them in about a month.
    Greg
    edited March 22, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Well, I decided to combine Andy and Waxy's advice. I just ordered the 1dmkIIn. Got to thinking about my need for a backup for some all day fast paced shoots. Just what will happen if I have a crash - well, I'll need a replacement to be as close to what I comfortable with as possible. Option was to rent or buy (new or used). Renting would be a hassle and expensive - buying used would be cheaper but needing it soon would limit my ability to find a trusted source - this left new so I bought the "n". Probably what pushed me to the "n" was the ability to save raw to one card and jpeg to the other. Somewhat of an additional failsafe.

Will probably sell one of them in about a month.
    Strong shoulders? lol3.gif That's a lot of weight.

Makes sense to buy something you're totally comfortable with.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited March 22, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Strong shoulders? lol3.gif That's a lot of weight.

Makes sense to buy something you're totally comfortable with.

If wifey finds out I'm sure I'll lose a proportional amount of A$$ to offset the additional weight. :D

I can still cancel if someone wants to knock some sense into my head.
    Greg
    edited March 22, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    If wifey finds out I'm sure I'll lose a proportional amount of A$$ to offset the additional weight. :D

lol3.gif
    Sid.
  • JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    :beatwax

cancel your order, sell the other one and get yourself a D2Hs! thumb.gif

westie2.gif
    edited March 22, 2006
    JohnR wrote:
    :beatwax

cancel your order, sell the other one and get yourself a D2Hs! thumb.gif

westie2.gif

Hey Now that's just not called for. :D But I will admit to being around some shooters with Nikons a few weeks ago and they sure sounded sweet. thumb.gif

Just checked on my order and it's too late to cancel - Pheww just missed the dark side.
    Greg
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    JohnR wrote:
    westie2.gif

new smiley for me to abuse?!clap.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com