Ch 59 . . . Rough Condition

wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
edited March 5, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
58458177-L.jpg

yeah, still trying to shoot something that I like enough to enter.

Some like frames, some don't - I add them when I feel they help the image but not as a default. to me, this shot need to stand off the background a little - hence the frame. I might pull the title off, though.

give me your thoughts
john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
Edward Steichen

Comments

• Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    wow john,
    very appropriate title! what a rough place! looks like place that could be full of interesing photos. Since you have this mostly centered, you might want to crop a little off the left to completely center it. You know what might make a neat crop (and not necessarily for this challenge), I say this because of the debris in front of it and along the sidewalk, I'd be interested to see a crop just above the arch, along the right side of the door, and leave everything to the left of that. Anyways, I like this! you gotta a good eye! probably two of them.

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Tessa HD wrote:
    very appropriate title! what a rough place! looks like place that could be full of interesing photos. Since you have this mostly centered, you might want to crop a little off the left to completely center it. You know what might make a neat crop (and not necessarily for this challenge), I say this because of the debris in front of it and along the sidewalk, I'd be interested to see a crop just above the arch, along the right side of the door, and leave everything to the left of that. Anyways, I like this! you gotta a good eye! probably two of them.

Tessa

Thanks, I'll play with the crop ideas.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• OvisOvis Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    I really appreciate the colors in this one. As the poster above already stated, I would crop just a tad off the left side to balance it with the right. I wouldn't touch anything else.thumb.gif
    edited March 3, 2006
    Tessa HD wrote:

Tessa

Better?

I like it better.

58460998-L.jpg
    john w

Edward Steichen

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    I've been looking for this building for over a week!!! Lucky find....and beautifully captured. Wonderful colors...I wouldn't change a thing, it's perfect after your cropping. I would like love to convert it to B & W just for fun, but feel it would do best in the contest as it is. thumb.gif
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    I think you shouldnt crop the entire dark box on the left hand side. you should evenly crop it from both sides so that you are able to see both half left and half of the right's dark box areas. by eliminating just one (the left for example), the viewer's eyes sink all the way to the right and visa versa. do it evenly or take both out altogether, but dont do one side and then leave it. but i think if you crop out half from both sides the photo will have an even-feel to it. otherwise its a rough yet colorful piece!
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    I'd like to see a crop with the door centered and perhaps a square ratio, dunno. I would at least crop a little off the left side so that there is the same amount of the wood siding on both sides of the door. I really think this shot wants symmetry. Nice shot. Very interesting shapes & textures.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited March 4, 2006
    tmlphoto wrote:
    I really think this shot wants symmetry.

That was my original idea with the door centered. I'll play with a square crop. Good thought that I hadn't tried.

Interesting that I have recommendations for both rule-of-thirds type cropping and symetrical centering. Thanks for the great feedback and ideas, everyone!!! thumb.gif
    john w

Edward Steichen

• photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    Interesting that I have recommendations for both rule-of-thirds type cropping and symetrical centering. Thanks for the great feedback and ideas, everyone!!! thumb.gif[/QUOTE]

I would also go for the assymetrical crop, it makes it more vivid in my humble opinion. Or if you go square, make sure it is all straight and OkiPoki in the middle. I think centering would work better in square format.
    It is a great shot, I would have taken it too I think if I would have seen it.
    It calls out! Great job...
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    This is a great shot! I'm with a coulple others on this I think cropping on center would suit. I know, I know, rule of 3rds ,but sometimes me thinks ,rules should be broken.:):
  • queequegqueequeg Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    Better?

I like it better.

Gorgeous. This must've been a really amazingly beautiful building in its hayday.

On the C&C side -- not much to say that others haven't said.
    edited March 5, 2006
    Amazing . . . Thanks for the great advice!

I'm submitting a "mostly" square version of this shot. If you look at the original that I posted, there are powerlines cutting across the top. I didn't say anything about them when I posted the shot - I wanted to see if anyone might comment on them. I couldn't find a camera position that would let me avoid them. They sort of blended in in the finished shot but they bothered me.

A true square crop looked good but the powerlines were stuck in the shot. It would've been a killer clone job to remove them.

Anyway, submitted as mostly square.
    john w

Edward Steichen