Stormy Twilight

ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
edited March 5, 2006 in Holy Macro
According to my pool level, we got about 2 inches of rain today. With the skies breaking up a bit, I thought I'd sit on my roof again and see what I can shoot.

This one shot wit ISO 200, 1/500 sec, f/4.6, white balance "Cloudy" but no camera saturation compensation. I did tweak the saturation a bit in Photo Studio, with some crop and resize.

Kinda wish I could lose the soccer field lights, though!
Steve-o

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited March 4, 2006
    I sure like those colors, but there's nothing in that shot that's in focus.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    Still trying to find out what happened. headscratch.gif Manual focus was set at infinity; cropping and resizing may have contributed to the fuzzy look also.

I'm starting to suspect that my Nikon E5400 is starting to go on the fritz. Having to work fast due to spotty drizzle could be another factor.

I wonder just how long certain components in digicams work before 'planned obsolesence (sp?)' takes over.

Two things are clear, though: the larger the sensor array for the same pixel size, and the larger the lens for the same function, will produce better shots, all other things being equal. But have you priced the high-end pro digicams lately?:jawdrop

David_S85 wrote:
    I sure like those colors, but there's nothing in that shot that's in focus.
    Steve-o
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    headscratch.gif same happens with my w1 but not that much problem .I simply use center focus as there is very much conrast in colors and i know what i want to focus i only use infinity focus when camera cannot focus with center AF
    Btw my w1 do not produce that much OOF picture with infinity but slightly OOF
    this shot was breathtaking if it was not OOF colors are amazing iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    I think I found the problem. A few drops of drizzle found their way on my lens and, in a state of near panic, I hastily wiped them off with the cottony lining inside my jacket before I took the posted shot.

Smooooooooth move that was.

I didn't realize that there might be greases and oils that could mar a lens. Today's inspection showed some nasty smears! :bash
    headscratch.gif same happens with my w1 but not that much problem .I simply use center focus as there is very much conrast in colors and i know what i want to focus i only use infinity focus when camera cannot focus with center AF
    Btw my w1 do not produce that much OOF picture with infinity but slightly OOF
    this shot was breathtaking if it was not OOF colors are amazing iloveyou.gif
    Steve-o
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    be careful with manually setting infinity focus. some lenses focus beyond infinity.