Classic potrait

DirgeelucidatrDirgeelucidatr Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited March 11, 2006 in People
I'm very new to this forum. So I thought let's meet the people around here and share my work. I've seen lots of outstanding photos in ch series and looking forward to more. :)

Struggle At Live
A labour who earns his living from hand to mouth at this age. I sat and talk to him for half an hour and felt this is real struggle alive.

Please critique

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 4, 2006
    I like the portrait; it means much more to you since you took the time to talk to him-

I'm sure there are some areas that could be addressed critically-

these guys go easy on a newbie-

whenever you want no-holds-barred c/c go to the whipping post-just be sure to follow the rules so that the wp patrol chief doesn't bite you in the butt (half-jesting)-

just got on another forum that looks like you mind find interesting, considering your post on this thread:

http://p098.ezboard.com/fwordoriginsorgfrm1

hope you like it here-

the main thing is to ignore 95% of my posts like everybody else does-

seriously, very nice (and diverse) bunch of folks here-

george
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Dir, I love the character you've captured in this guy's face. Strong stuff, and a really nice B&W conversion. Please post more like this.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    difficult to critique
    I love the lighting, especially on his shirt. I might want to see a wee bit more contrast or "pop" but it's a compelling portrait nonetheless.
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    ditto on lighting, good job. I'd like to see the top of his hair and just a little open space above him, otherwise very nice.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    This is a nice study. It seems to invite you to wonder what this man is thinking about. I'm always glad to see someone working in black and white and you did an excellent job in this respect. The lighting is wonderful. I love the contrast of his beard and hair. I agree with a prior mention that there should be more room above his head, he seems "cramped" in a corner. thumb.gif
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    As already said...great shot...i would love to see more like this in the forum.thumb.gif
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2006
    Great shot.

Here's my nits:

1) I think the shot could use more contrast, especially in the values across his face. I would select a darker part of the face and a lighter part and make sure that the curves are steepened through that tonal range. It really pops much better like that.

2) The top of the head in tangent with the edge of the frame. Not sure how I feel about it, but with all the room elsewhere in the shot, it seems odd. So I might try cropping a touch so that he doesn't feel quite so much like he's swimming in the frame.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops