Infinity Focus

Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
edited March 4, 2006 in Cameras
I did a search but couldn't find anything on this issue.

My question is why do some lenses focus past infinity? My 70-200 does and I've heard that most higher end lenses do. Why is this?
-Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:

My question is why do some lenses focus past infinity? My 70-200 does and I've heard that most higher end lenses do. Why is this?
    "...to infinity and beyond!!!!"
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited March 4, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:

Maybe it's like the Spinal Tap guitarist's amplifier with a volume control that goes to 11. rolleyes1.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    To allow for changes in temperature that affect the lens, the glass, etc - and still achieve infinity focus. Also the flourite in the glass, can vary with temperature.

Other than that, this is a problem for David_S85 and Shay to work out lol3.gif

Here's another thread here on the same subject:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=20748
  • SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    It is also my understanding that IR photography has a slightly different DOF than Visible Light photography, due to the spectrum. As such, they need to focus beyond what would be infinity in visible light photography.