How to position myself?

camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
edited March 5, 2006 in Sports
I'm making a set of 4x6 postcards to hand out at cheerleading competitions to promote my event photography (http://www.CheerPhoto.com). Full-color on one side with a great shot and the URL, but I'm debating what to put on the other side, in terms of my "pitch."

In essence, I'm not a pro event photographer. I shoot competitions because my daughter cheers for an all-star gym. I put the shots up here and charge extremely low prices. The parents love it because it's not the extortion that the event pros charge, and my stuff tends to be better than theirs because I actually put some time and effort into the photos (since I don't have to shoot tons of competitions, I have the time).

I'm not sure I want to have a pitch like that, though - since it'll likely piss off the pro shooters, and I have no desire to do that.

Anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 5, 2006
    Are you worried about selling pics or not pissing off the pros? ne_nau.gif

If it's the former, I'd suggest using some nice language about how you are dedicated to the sport because of your daughter's participation and how much you enjoy shooting pics at these events. Also that your site provides an inexpensive method for parents/relatives to bring home memories of their loved one(s) from this event.

Whether you advertise or don't advertise, you're still competing for consumer $'s with the pros. So some pros might be upset. That's life :D Competition almost always benefits the consumer.

One caveat. I assume you and the pros are shooting with the same groundrules. IOW, you don't need releases or written approval to shoot the event and they don't either.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    One caveat. I assume you and the pros are shooting with the same groundrules. IOW, you don't need releases or written approval to shoot the event and they don't either.
    Steve

Almost the same rules. The pros get to set up strobes and nobody else can (or use camera-mount). That's fine by me, as I'd much prefer to shoot wide open with available light and have a more appealing, less-harsh shot. The only thing I don't like is that their strobes tend to ruin about one shot out of 15, but I can live with that.