Could this be the new "Holga"?

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
edited March 18, 2006 in Cameras
Reichmann had this new toy showcased at his site this weekend. The FunkeyCam. It actually outdoes my first Sony I got ten years ago. I just might pick up a case of them.
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    I explained that it had been made possible because I'd used a new camera. She rolled her eyes, and asked how much. I told her, and with a smile she replied that in that case she was off to buy a new pair of shoes. Go figure.

Hahahaha
    I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    I have become a big proponent of small pocket cameras you can take with you anywhere. And I like his point about having something that takes your mind off of image quality and lets you concentrate instead on what the image actually contains.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 5, 2006
    These things were all over the place at PMA! Man, any mfg from China or
    Korea had more than a few models they were showing.

I guess it will be the next big "giveaway" item (after USB memories).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited March 5, 2006
    There's a surplus store by me (American Science & Surplus) that will probably have these cameras for 50¢ in a few months. Any extra $20 right now goes to something carbon fiber that has legs, or something with a red stripe around it.
    My Smugmug
    edited March 5, 2006
    Cool, I love that store! Only know it from the on-line store but still.
    David_S85 wrote:
    There's a surplus store by me (American Science & Surplus) that will probably have these cameras for 50¢ in a few months. Any extra $20 right now goes to something carbon fiber that has legs, or something with a red stripe around it.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited March 5, 2006
    Cool, I love that store! Only know it from the on-line store but still.

They have three brick and mortars that I know of. The Geneva store is the one that is closest, but it's not the largest. The people there are total nerds and wackos, but that's OK considering what they sell. Halloween is the best time, since they rig up strange rube goldberg devices everywhere, including things that drop on your head as you walk underneath such as spongey skeletonoid hands.

Need a bio-hazard suit? They got those. Need a German submarine periscope? They had one for 15 years. Finally sold it. Huge 7.2 and 12v NiCad batteries? Pennies on the dollar. Parabolic microphone dish? Which size!

I've spent hundreds of dollars there over the years - all well spent too. Just a real fun place to hang out. And they don't mind that.
    My Smugmug
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Reichmann had this new toy showcased at his site this weekend. The FunkeyCam. It actually outdoes my first Sony I got ten years ago. I just might pick up a case of them.
    On a whim I was browsing Luminous-Landscape just yesterday and I came across that article. I almost died laughing, reading his recount of how his wife thought it was one of the greatest pictures he'd taken lately, and the ensuing conversation. Ahh that was hilarous...

I think it's very true about shooting with a "ghetto" camera so as to free yourself from all things technical and allow your mind to focus on the single MOST important aspect of photography- where to point your camera and when to click the button. Okay well that's two aspects. But seriously, I do this with my FM2 and my Agfa Ultra. I just go out and take pictures freely, and most of the time it leads me to better compositions and a much keener sense of when to take the picture, or when to not bother.

I definitely want a funkycam!!

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 6, 2006
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    Nominated: Lets have a funkycam photo challenge!
    Nominated: Lets have a funkycam only photo challenge!

I'm ordering a couple right now - who needs extra memory cards, buy extra cameras! thumb.gif

I'm a holga fan: http://cs-pics.smugmug.com/gallery/722646
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited March 11, 2006
    My wife just picked me up one of these little wee cameras ;-)

We'll see what wonders it can accomplish hehehe
    edited March 11, 2006
    My wife just picked me up one of these little wee cameras ;-)

We'll see what wonders it can accomplish hehehe

I'd like to see some of those shots. Who knows, it might make a fun adition to the wedding biz. ne_nau.gif

I hear you can uprez the 340 x 240 images to 2880 x 2160 and they'll look just as crappy.
    My Smugmug
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 11, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    I hear you can uprez the 340 x 240 images to 2880 x 2160 and they'll look just as crappy.
    I don't know if its cuz I'm on my 2nd scotch or I'm really tired, but that made me laugh pretty good.

I like the challenge idea. Andy, dig out the dgrin wallet, we needs us some cameraz!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I like the challenge idea. Andy, dig out the dgrin wallet, we needs us some cameraz!

nod.gif that would be a cool challenge idea.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    Just ordered mine from Geeks.com
    Let the fun begin, I'll post a few as soon as it arrives. rolleyes1.gif

Oh yes, I do have a Holga :D
    Bob
    edited March 12, 2006
    First one to adapt the 85mm f1.8 wins rolleyes1.gif
    Bob
  • limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    Hey, on a similar note, is there anywhere that reviews phone cameras for their quality and or uniqueness? Hmm, then again I'd be willing to do some rather "interesting" things to a $14 camera...
    edited March 12, 2006
    KA0TVO wrote:
    Just ordered mine from Geeks.com
    Let the fun begin, I'll post a few as soon as it arrives. rolleyes1.gif

Oh yes, I do have a Holga :D

I didn't see the funkycam (the clear one that comes in 3 colors) listed at geeks. They do have something the call the Mini 100K USB Keychain Digital PC Web/Video Camera (silver).

Is that what you bought?

EDIT: I am wondering what comes on the CD's? If it is a USB device, then doesn't it just appear as a drive letter so one can just copy the pics over?
    My Smugmug
    edited March 13, 2006
    Thats it,
    Went to the Funkycam site and they were sold out!:cry
    Geeks.com about the same. ne_nau.gif
    Bob
    edited March 13, 2006
    KA0TVO wrote:
    Thats it,
    Went to the Funkycam site and they were sold out!:cry
    Geeks.com about the same. ne_nau.gif

FunkyCam has a site? I went to Funkycam.com (didn't search, just entered), and it appeared to be re-configuring all my browser settings. So I shut the browser down. It was bad news.

I see that there are two versions at geeks.com; a 640 x 480 + lower res., and a 320 x 240ish + a smaller size. The memory capacity is also different. The larger res. model is actually cheaper. The CDs seems to have nothing of value on them for us already-digital people.

For full effect though, I guess it is best to use the smaller res. settings. :D
    My Smugmug
    edited March 18, 2006
    So..... ?
    Anybody got some funky shots to post yet? ne_nau.gif
    My Smugmug