Kids soccer advice?

MTagMTag Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited March 5, 2006 in Sports
I am finding that a majority of my shots are of the back of the players that I am trying to shoot. Anyone with experience have any recommendations on a couple of good locations to capture more frontal shots? Here are some recent attempts. All have PP and most are cropped. I am using a 20D with a sig 70-200 2.8 with a 1.4x tc...so, I am shooting mostly at f4..ISO 100.
http://thetaggs.smugmug.com/gallery/1249871 (couldn't cut and paste photos...sorry for the link)
I would say 70 percent of my photos are of the back..these were exceptions...critique desired! Thanks.

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 5, 2006
    Looks like you got a lot of backs :D

Try working from behind or near the goal line. As the attacking team have the
    ball, you should get some nice face shots. Work the sidelines and shoot below
    the team (as they are coming toward you). Keep moving as you're permitted
    to.

If I might also suggest using either shutter or aperture priority, I think you'll
    have more even exposures. Also, try setting Auto White Balance. Lastly, try
    giving yourself a routine to follow before you shoot. Set the ISO/Ap/shutter
    as required then check using the histogram.

Also, watch your backgrounds.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • MTagMTag Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    Great...thanks for the suggestions. I do find that I often don't have time to check all settings when using manual. I will try AV priority next game..then TV after. I had forgotten that I set my WB from the night before. Typically, I have it on AWB:bluduh .... I really do need a routine! Thanks again!
    edited March 5, 2006
    MTag wrote:
    Great...thanks for the suggestions. I do find that I often don't have time to check all settings when using manual. I will try AV priority next game..then TV after. I had forgotten that I set my WB from the night before. Typically, I have it on AWB:bluduh .... I really do need a routine! Thanks again!

You're welcome. Also, if you are interested in sports photography, do have a
    look at "Digital Sports Photography" by G. Newman Lewis. There are other
    resources in the sticky at the top of this forum.

Ian
  • blobblob Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    MTag wrote:
    I am finding that a majority of my shots are of the back of the players that I am trying to shoot. Anyone with experience have any recommendations on a couple of good locations to capture more frontal shots?

Soccer players seem to have a special affinity for turning their backs just as you press the button. Choose the corners at the goal line, as ian408 said. I find that changing positions frequently during the game gives me a better range of shots. Generally I find that if I try to shoot action near the goal from anywhere near the center line, I either get a line of players obscuring the play, or I get a good action shot of a scoring try.

I also try to focus on just one player for a bit of time, ignoring the action. You can sometimes get very good shots away from the ball, or you'll be ready when the ball comes to the player in question.

Finally, I have had some luck by setting continuous shooting, and keep shooting after the ball goes out of the picture. You can get good action away from the ball this way.

Good luck!
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    I basically do what has already been suggested. My favorite spot is the sideline; about even with the top of the goal area. That way I have a good angle for frontal shots of the players as the action comes down the field toward me and as the ball is played from one side of the field to the other. It also provides a good angle for shots of the goalie.

I tend to stay on the same end of the field for the entire game so that I can have an equal opportunity to shoot the forwards; as well as the defensive positions of both teams. I've heard lots of complaints from the parents of defensive players indicating that from their perspective, no one ever photographs those positions.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    I just spent the season taking soccer shots of my 10 and 8 year old. If I could offer some advice, I think the key is proper positioning. First of all, is your goal primarily to take pictures of just your child? If so, you need to position yourself accordingly. If your goal is to take pics of all the players, set yourself up about 10 yards behind the goal line towards the left hand corner. Keep in mind that most of these kids are right footed. The majority of the offensive action will be coming directly at you from the right side of the field.
    My daughter is an aggressive player on offense. When I was trying to take pics mostly of her, I would change sides at the half. When I was taking pictures of everyone, I just stayed on the side which would give me the best lighting.
    I broke down early and used a monopod. Yes I looked like a geek compared to the other parents, but I gained respect from the refs and other coaches. Nobody harassed me when I was behind the goal line with my rig.

Take lots of shots and crop them tightly. Share them with the other parents on your smugmug site. I got lots of kudos for that one, and nobody gave me any grief for being the photo geek dad.

Good luck!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    You can't get shots like this from the sidelines at this age. Soccer is purely a vertical game for them.

56053501-M.jpg

56053474-M.jpg
    edited March 5, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    You can't get shots like this from the sidelines at this age. Soccer is purely a vertical game for them.

Something that has not been said but is evident from Mitchell's posts is that
    you want to get low--at least so you're shooting on the same plane as the
    players. This is where knee pads and a monopod will help greatly.

Thanks for posting these two examples Mitchell!

Ian