My first Editorial Shoot...

MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
edited March 7, 2006 in People
Well, imagine my surprise when another photographer from the studio collective I am part of asked me to join him on his editorial shoot. He wanted to give me a chance to get some real studio and outdoor model shooting done.

Originally, there was suppose to be a male and female model, and a MUA...

The male model and MUA cancelled at literally the last minute.

Anyway, we shot anyway.. The original idea was to have a series of events showing a couple meeting, dating, breaking up, and the aftermath.. But since the male model didn't show up, we just did the aftermath.

I've been trying to link up with the other photographer to have him review my images, but he is always busy and never seems to get around to it. As such, I am looking for some input.

One last thing, the majority if not all of the images I am putting in here are Black and White. I rarely shoot that way, but for some reason, the fair skin of this model just made it seem like a natural thing to do. For once in my life, I actually didn't like how most of my color shots came out, and love some of the black and white ones...

I hope you enjoy, let me know what you think..

The first section of the photos is suppose to be the girl packing up from the apt. her and her ex are moving out of. She is suppose to look like she is sad that they split up..

Comments

• MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    Still packing..
    Packing pt. 2
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    I don't care for your B&W treatment. It lacks pop. I think I'd prefer this in color. Don't you hate cancellations? Welcome to the world of MUAs and models.
    edited March 5, 2006
    packing part 3
    This photo has the models fast just a hair out of focus. That was done on purpose.. I set the lens to max mm and min f-stop number, and made sure the shirt was in focus, and she was JUST a hair out of focus.. I hoped to add to the feeling of "how did things go so wrong, it's all a blur.."
    edited March 5, 2006
    This is a candid...
    This is a candid of the model as she was listening to direction from the other photographer..
    edited March 5, 2006
    To kill her pain..
    Our girl decides to go shopping..
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    This is a candid of the model as she was listening to direction from the other photographer..

Of all these, I like the candid best, just for that reason, it looks really candid and natural.

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
    edited March 5, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    I don't care for your B&W treatment. It lacks pop. I think I'd prefer this in color. Don't you hate cancellations? Welcome to the world of MUAs and models.

What would give it that pop? I'll eventually post some of the color version, but I really like the way the model looks in B&W more than color..

MainFragger/Brian
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    The b&w conversions need more contrast. Try adjusting contrast & brightness and possibly the shadow levels to give them more pop.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    I like that last one, MF. Looks like she doesn't need the MUA anyhow, and esp in BW :D
    edited March 5, 2006
    Ironically...
    Andy wrote:
    I like that last one, MF. Looks like she doesn't need the MUA anyhow, and esp in BW :D

Since we couldn't get an MUA on site quickly enough, we went to a Makeup store to get her makeup done for the second half of our shoot.. These shots were taken just outside of the store. I felt bad for the girls inside because we shot her over and over and over again going in and out of that door...And it was FREEZING out..

MainFragger/Brian
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    [RookieQuestion]MUA?[/RookieQuestion] ne_nau.gif
    edited March 5, 2006
    You'll be kickin' yourself for not figurin' it out..
    StevenV wrote:
    [RookieQuestion]MUA?[/RookieQuestion] ne_nau.gif

Makeup Artist.. I know I did when I first ran into this abbreviation..

MainFragger/Brian
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    You'll be kickin' yourself for not figurin' it out..

you're not kidding there - I was reading/writing during the Oscars so it should have been doubly obvious. It came to me in a flash about 30 minutes later, after I'd already shut the computer down and was brushing my teeth for bed. rolleyes1.gif And yes, I was kicking myself but was too tired to run back down and delete my post

thanks.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    Don't feel bad
    StevenV wrote:
    you're not kidding there - I was reading/writing during the Oscars so it should have been doubly obvious. It came to me in a flash about 30 minutes later, after I'd already shut the computer down and was brushing my teeth for bed. rolleyes1.gif And yes, I was kicking myself but was too tired to run back down and delete my post

thanks.

I was wondering the same thing... it finally came to me when I read about going to the store to get some makeup! D'uh
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Hi, MainFragger
    I like the candid shot of her sitting on the box the best.
    Good ideas with all the shots.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/northcarolinamodels
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com