Proper exposure & white balance vs......

wetsandswetsands Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited March 10, 2006 in Finishing School

I was talking to a photog who I respect a great deal... asking him about pp'ing, curves etc....

what he said made a great deal of sence to me....

he said if you get the exposure correct as well as proper white balance (either at the time of the shoot or , if shooting raw w/ the raw converter) at the time of capture, that he feels no need for curves or other methods of manipulating the contrast as there is plenty of contrast already if captured correctly.....

any thoughts on this..(i can't help but feel he was holding back alittle..kind of keeeping his "secret recipe" to himself.. :-)...

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    Its a personal thing....i wont walk away from a photo until ive tried some LAB on it....very rarely does it not improve the shot.
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    You are far better off in PP if you have good color and exposure. But nearly all photos can benefit from an artistic eye with regards to contrast and such.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • ScottGScottG Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    Well, I would go old school here. As Mr. Adams used to say, the negative is the score, the print is the performance.

Ansel Adams would make perfect exposures, yet he would always massage the final prints with dodging and burning here and there to make the final print exactly the way he invisioned it.

Taking this thought process, I always approach the raw file as the score. I've gone back in even after making final images and prints and re-do them to get the performance I want.
  • chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    wetsands wrote:

he said if you get the exposure correct as well as proper white balance (either at the time of the shoot or , if shooting raw w/ the raw converter) at the time of capture, that he feels no need for curves or other methods of manipulating the contrast as there is plenty of contrast already if captured correctly.....

I believe thats the ideal way to manage workflow regardless of whether you are going to do post processing on the photo or not.

I would have to agree with the latter opinion that I would have to play around with LAB settings before I let go of every individual photo.
    465456 photos it isn't ideal to color correct every single one if you have clients waiting for the photos; unless you have intelligent color correction slaves; which is hard to find these days.
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    I can see both points of view here, and I agree with both. When you're shooting a lot of photos -- wedding, event, concert, etc -- things that will displayed as a collection or series -- nailing your WB and exposure and letting the rest fall on skill is a very good methodology. They look more natural, are more truthful in their visual information, and take much less time to process.

If it's a single photograph meant to display, convey, etc, I agree with Humungus and the others -- a little post (as long as it is performed with some skill!) never hurt a pic. :)

Just my 2% of a currency unit.
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    wetsands wrote:
    I don't see how proper exposure (correct mix of aperture, shutter speed and ISO) has anything to do with the contrast in an image. A properly exposed scene of a misty, foggy day will have no contrast whatsoever.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    One of the key elements to a properly processed image is to localize the contrast in the areas that are of interest. The steepest part of the curve should be in the area that you want the viewer to be looking at. A face, for instance, or whatever the subject of the shot is.

Properly exposing a shot does not allow for the use of localized contrast and will leave you with a flat shot most times. Not terribly flat, but noticeably flat.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Lots of my most interesting, contrasty shots were the results of an improper exposure. Of course, most of mine are improper exposures. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I suppose this photographer doesn't use filters as well since he relies on proper exposure. Wonder what he does with all that perfectly exposed smog, haze, etc.??? :D Proper exposure defintely saves a lot of headache and time, but I think he is (like you mentioned) holding back some secrets.