The first little orchid

ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
edited March 6, 2006 in Holy Macro
I've bought several orchids from our favorite grocery store. However, all of the plants lasted only one season--except this one, which has blooms that are (at best) about 1 1/4 inches across.

Not that my camera can hold a candle against a DSLR with a macro lens, but I tried anyway; shot from about 1 inch away with ISO 50, 1/500 sec and f/4.6 (manual mode), and a little tweaking with the unsharp mask and tone adjustments.
Steve-o

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    nice for the 1st try but why it is very soft ?
    colors looks fine
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    I've taken hundreds of macros with my Nikon E5400 (fifty just of this orchid) and, no matter what settings I use, I just can't seem to get the image quality that REAL macro lenses on DSLRs can get.

I'm sure that ANDY can concur with that!
    nice for the 1st try but why it is very soft ?
    colors looks fine
    Steve-o
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    hmm i am not comparing it with DSLR but point and shoots also produce reasonable sharp image as you said you have shot 50 for this orchid mey be its aggressive NR of camera or low sharpness settings headscratch.gif
    my sony w1 the most soft camera according to people produce sharp macro of flowers headscratch.gif the images you see shot by me are all w1 images
    on the other hand 5400 is great camera and with great macro mode mwink.gif
    my flora gallery (w1 closes distance 6cm)
    http://awais.smugmug.com/Flowers
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    I've taken hundreds of macros with my Nikon E5400 (fifty just of this orchid) and, no matter what settings I use, I just can't seem to get the image quality that REAL macro lenses on DSLRs can get.

I'm sure that ANDY can concur with that!

Question #1: were you using a tripod?

All-in-one lenses do tend to suffer a loss of sharpness when macro mode is engaged, but you might be surprised how much loss of sharpness you get handholding at that magnification.

The other question I'd have is where exactly is the focus point. It looks like it may be behind the main blossom somewhat.