Options

My Darling Boy

jfcpetersjfcpeters Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited October 4, 2004 in People
I've never shared a picture here...although I've been doing a LOT of looking, and trying to learn how to improve. I tried doing my own "photo shoot" of my sweet baby Gavin, who is a little less than 3 months.

I set up a mini "studio" with a black sheet, his bouncy chair and a card table in front of the living room window. I took these using natural light and changed them to B&W. Please feel free to give some constructive critisisms. Thanks for looking!

9359798-M.jpg

9359799-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2004
    Very cute, Love the first one, what a great expression.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2004
    I agree with greaper, except I love the second one, rolleyes1.gif

He is a cute photogenic baby, both pictures are wonderful.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2004
    So cute!
    I like the second one. You did a great job with the light. The B&W is nice too. thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2004
    Both photos are very nice, he is a very photogenic baby. Having just read some articles on shooting portraits the one thing that comes to mind with these two, especially the first, is the depth of the shadows on the left. Even something simple as placing a white card to left to reflect some light and fill in the shadowed area would prob. make a better shot. While you don't want to have that side as bright or it will wash out and flatten the face, (shadows are what give the visual clues to depth in a 2-D rendering of a 3-D object), but too much shadow tends to detract some from the impact of the image. Too much shadow tends to make me want to concentrate on finding what is “hidden” there when it’s the face itself that should be the focus of attention. Hopefully this makes some sense (?) to you, and I’ve stated the idea clearly, I’m new to digital myself and am trying to relearn the basics of photography after many years away from the eyepiece.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2004
    jfcpeters wrote:
    I've never shared a picture here...although I've been doing a LOT of looking, and trying to learn how to improve. I tried doing my own "photo shoot" of my sweet baby Gavin, who is a little less than 3 months.

I set up a mini "studio" with a black sheet, his bouncy chair and a card table in front of the living room window. I took these using natural light and changed them to B&W. Please feel free to give some constructive critisisms. Thanks for looking!

Lovely baby and welcome jfcwave.gif I think the lighting is nice.. a little on the cool side maybe.. good job. :D
  • Options
    jfcpetersjfcpeters Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 4, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Lovely baby and welcome jfcwave.gif I think the lighting is nice.. a little on the cool side maybe.. good job. :D
    I'm trying to learn the best way to "tweak" my photos in PSP9, in addition to learning how to take better photos. In these pictures I used the "Greyscale" command...but I'm curious if the photos would be "warmer" if I messed with the color manually?

What's the best way to tell the diff between cool and warm in a b&w? Thanks!

Jen