I am cameraless

docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
edited March 10, 2006 in Cameras
I am cameraless.

Well, at least for another few hours. I wanted to upgrade from my KM 5D. I was going to post my entire kit here or ebay to sell it. My boss had expressed an interest and he snapped it up. I was a bit suprised as he told me to give him a few days to sleep on it. After lunch he said he would take it.

I have been looking very hard at the Nikon D200. But, Noboday has them. B&H sold out again this weekend, along with a few other online stores that I will do business with. The local camera shops do not even have one for display and will not for several months according to the sales weenies :dunno.

I hit Best Buy this weekend and to no suprise they have none in stock. A very sweet young lady working there went to the trouble of checking the computer. One of the managers asked what I was looking for and she told him the D200. He said "oh, we have a few coming, check back next week."
So this afternoon I wanted to go fondle the display unit :wink. The same young lady came over and offered to check again. She does and guess what was sitting on the truck at the loading dock... :clap They are holding it for me until tomorrow.

With my Best Buy discount card I will get about $50 dollars in coupons in the mail for future purchases. I normally would not buy a camera from a big box store. But I cannot wait for a D200 to turn up somewhere else.

Now I have to buy everything else to go along with it as I sold everything except my memory, cokin P mount, filters, monopod, tripod, and lens cleaner kit. What accesories do you guys that have them recommend for the D200? I am already shooting for the SB-800 flash. I have not decided on any glass yet. I may just get a simple zoom to get me by until I can drop some cash on new lenses. I also want the verticle battery grip. That was actually one of the biggest things I disliked about the KM 5D, not having one available.

So much to the displeasure of the Canon crowd, I am going to the dark side. I have seen a few sites that have tips for the D200. If anyone has a few that they can share I would appreciate hearing them.

Doc
SmugMug Support Hero
http://help.smugmug.com

Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    Getting new stuff is exciting for sure. But just remember, it's not the equipment that makes the photographer mwink.gif
    docwalker wrote:
    So much to the displeasure of the Canon crowd, I am going to the dark side. I have seen a few sites that have tips for the D200. If anyone has a few that they can share I would appreciate hearing them.

Doc
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    docwalker wrote:

Doc

Congrats on the new camera. clap.gif One of the best sites I've seen with shots that blew me away came from a Nikon shooter. But it was the shooter that made them special, not Nikon, Canon ....

We Canon users can console ourselves by knowing that's one less competitor for Andy's used glass.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 7, 2006
    Guys, I have been shooting long enough to know that it is not the camera that makes the pictures. If I believed that, I would have gone Cannon just to get pictures like Andy bowdown.gif.

The upgrade was motivated by several reasons. One of them was that KM is getting out of the digital camera market. I wanted a camera that at least had a few more years of support behind it.

I went Konika Minolta because that is what my dad used. I sold all of his old Minolta stuff over the last few weeks. I have one old aftermarket flash left and a few odds and ends. So I guess the brand loyalty had come to an end.

So now I am starting down a new path in a few hours, I get to pick up my new baby.

I was hoping that maybe some D200 users might point out which items they have found usefull. I have harped on here about the bulk lat/long geography info for the mapping. I am trying to justify the $100 for the GPS connector. I really don't need that. But the wireless connector and maybe the wireless remote might be worth it. I always used either a squeeze bulb release or wired one.

Anyway, got to run to work to support my habit.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Have fun with it!

Hmmm....not sure what goodies you're looking for. I just have the basics....D200, 18-70mm DX lens, 28-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, nice LowePro camera bag (got one?), ok tripod - but could be better, SB-600 flash, 4GB Hitachi microdrive, lens cleaner cloth, circular polarizer for all lenses, rechargable batteries for SB-600, extra battery for D200 ($39)...and I guess that's about it.

I haven't attempted to clean my sensor...ever...not even on the D70 I had before - not in the 2 years I owned it. I'm either the most careful and cleanest person in the world or luckiest because I never noticed sensor dust as a problem. I'm not sure what I'll do if I ever need to do it. I'm inclined to try it myself...but I tend to have bad luck!.....so it worries me. I've seen bad stories either way...doing it yourself and paying someone that did it and messed up.

Enjoy the camera. I love how the D200 feels in your hands. It just fits...like an extension of your hand/arm :)
  • chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Hmmmm...useful accessories? The general stuff...good monopod, good tripod, lots of CF storage, lots of disk storage, DVD burner. Specific to the D200...SB-800 (GET RECHARGEABLE BATTS!), Nikon Capture...oh and GOOD glass...is that an accessory? headscratch.gif:):
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 7, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    I am trying to justify the $100 for the GPS connector. I really don't need that. But the wireless connector and maybe the wireless remote might be worth it. I always used either a squeeze bulb release or wired one.

Anyway, got to run to work to support my habit.
    Congrats on the D200 thumb.gif

It's about the only thing I might trade my D2h for. And who cares that you got it at a big box, my friend nrchris also just got his D200 at BB - whatever they're doing, they're doing it right by getting the stock of something people want.

I just wanted to chime in on the wireless and GPS features. First, I would love to have that sort of GPS connectivity, but make sure you first check that your GPS unit speaks the right language. I've read some blurbs on this right on the Nikon site... can't find it at the moment. Second, I've heard that wireless unit (for wireless shooting from a computer) is harder to get than the D200. I can't confirm it, but I've heard its not even available yet.

I'd personally love to hear more about these accessories if you do in fact get them or learn more about them.
    ear.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited March 7, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Congrats on the D200 thumb.gif

It's about the only thing I might trade my D2h for. And who cares that you got it at a big box, my friend nrchris also just got his D200 at BB - whatever they're doing, they're doing it right by getting the stock of something people want.

I just wanted to chime in on the wireless and GPS features. First, I would love to have that sort of GPS connectivity, but make sure you first check that your GPS unit speaks the right language. I've read some blurbs on this right on the Nikon site... can't find it at the moment. Second, I've heard that wireless unit (for wireless shooting from a computer) is harder to get than the D200. I can't confirm it, but I've heard its not even available yet.

I'd personally love to hear more about these accessories if you do in fact get them or learn more about them.
    ear.gif

Do you mean the wifi transmitter? If so it's the WT-3A I believe and it's definitely not available...rumor is April/May. The WT-2A for the D2X/D2H is around $600 and prolly can expect about the same for the 3A. 1/3 the price of the D200 seems high so hopefully they'll bring it down a little. ne_nau.gif
    Charles
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
    edited March 7, 2006
    I have both the Neotec Monopod and Tripod with the RC2 ball head which I absolutely love.

I am going to go pick the D200 up in a few minutes. Then I will head over to the camera shop to let them drool as they have not seen one. Actually I need to go get a lens and BB does not have a very good selection in the store. I saw only 2 there and I will need at least one to get me by. It would be great if I can find that 18-200mm VR lens locally.

After getting the camera, I have to go to the doctor for some minor surgery. So I may be out of commision for a bit.

I will let you know what I find on the accessories. I still would love to hear from anyone else using the remotes, GPS adapters, or even lenses.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    I have both the Neotec Monopod and Tripod with the RC2 ball head which I absolutely love.

I am going to go pick the D200 up in a few minutes. Then I will head over to the camera shop to let them drool as they have not seen one. Actually I need to go get a lens and BB does not have a very good selection in the store. I saw only 2 there and I will need at least one to get me by. It would be great if I can find that 18-200mm VR lens locally.
    Good luck, and I hope you find that lens. I have one on backorder online. I haven't actually shot with the VR, but I hear it is great. The 18-70 DX (the kit lens from the D70) is a good solid lens, you can't really go wrong with it. There are also a ton of 50mm f1.8 AF lenses that you can find used just about anywhere. It a good fast lens. I have a D70 but I am hoping to move to a D200 in the not too distant future (when I can find both a D200 and the money to pay for it!)
    After getting the camera, I have to go to the doctor for some minor surgery. So I may be out of commision for a bit.

I will let you know what I find on the accessories. I still would love to hear from anyone else using the remotes, GPS adapters, or even lenses.
    Good luck with the surgery. Nothing serious, I hope.

--Aaron

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Judging by the fact that you have the Cokin P system, I'll assume that you're a nature / landscape photographer. If this is true, then I think these lenses will be perfect for you: The 12-24 AFS DX and the 24-85 AFS G. They're both easy to find, and you can pick up used 24-85's on KEH.com for $200-300. (sharp as heck! Not the strongest lens, but that just means it's lightweight.)

The reason I advocate this is for two reasons:

One- as a nature photographer you may not need the "versatility" that a normal DX zoom ofers such as the 17-55 DX or the 18-70 DX. Instead you can take your time and switch between the 12-24 DX and the 24-85 G as needed, giving yourself 18-130mm of tack sharp coverage in just 30 oz. worth of lenses!

Two- the 24-85 has no issues with vignetting on a DSLR, unlike the DX specific lenses which have limits regarding filters. With the 24-85 G though, I can stack a normal polarizer and a Cokin P system holder without ever worrying about vignetting. You can't do a polarizer and a GND on the 12-24 DX at 12mm, but I've never encountered a situation where I've needed that combination anyway; I'm satisfied to have it work at 16mm...

So those are just two reasons why I personally as a nature photographer would go with those two lenses, and then my Sigma 150mm f/2.8 for macro and as a telephoto lens if I don't feel like carrying a tele zoom with me.

HOWEVER, if you are actually quite into portraits, and event etc. shooting, then definitely consider a DX "normal zoom", or the 18-200 VR DX. Personally I'd go with the 18-200 just because it's sooo practical, but in truth I'd probably be better off with a nice f/2.8 DX zoom. While I think the 17-55 might be a bit too big / heavy & expensive for me, lenses like the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 DC, and now the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 Di and the rumored Tokina 16-50 f/2.8 DX all sound like fantastic lenses that I would buy in a heartbeat if I got into weddings etc.

I hope this helps a bit, and good luck with your D200!
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 7, 2006
    That's some well thought out advice, Matthew. I learned something about Nikkor lenses myself, thanks! thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited March 7, 2006
    Matt,

Great info. I ended up getting a Nikon ED AF 28-200 1:3.5-5.6 G. I figure that it will get me by until another payday. Plus they had little else on the shelf that I liked. BB had only 2 lenses and they were nothing that I was really interested in.

I figure I can use this lens until I can get something else and then sell it or maybe keep it as it is a pretty versatile lens.

I am simply amazed at how well this camera feels in my hands. Kinda Tim Allen -esque. I love how all of the functions I use frequently are switch driven versus menu driven like the KM 5D. I have the battery on charge right now so I cannot play with it yet :cry.

MrBook, the surgery ended up being no big deal. The doctor took a core biopsy of a place on my back that has been bugging me. That and I got my results back from the CT scan from last week. No cancer but still no explaination for the stomach pressure. I am going to a gastrointerologist next week.

One place I did find a lot of information on the D200 is http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d200.htm

He has a lot of information on the camera.

Please keep the information coming and I will do the same.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited March 8, 2006
    Cameraless no longer... D200 WOW
    I got the battery charged up and started really playing with the buttons last night and this morning. This is going to fit my style of shooting so well.

I am really glad that this thing has a sealed body. Whenever I show it to my friends that are point and shoot picture takers they start drooling. They loved my last DSLR, but this thing is impressive.

I now have a really good excuse to take the fiance hiking this weekend. I have to get out where I can take some shots to really test it out. I need the practice before next week as I have an event that I will be shooting. Thankfully things happened the way they did. I was only without a camera for a day.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited March 9, 2006
    I ordered the Vertical Battery Grip, Extra Battery, and SB-800 flash from B&H this afternoon. I so look forward to this.

I got a chance to shoot some pictures of a flower this morning on the way into the office to test it out. I used a little fill light and sharpening in Picasa on it as my PS CS2 is at home. Still, I am happy with the color capture.

59214875-S.jpg
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    I'll be interested to know how you like the feel of the camera with the grip. I'm told it makes the camera bigger and heavier than the D2X.

As a D2X owner, I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on the D200. I may just need to get one of these as a backup.mwink.gif
    edited March 9, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    I'll be interested to know how you like the feel of the camera with the grip. I'm told it makes the camera bigger and heavier than the D2X.

As a D2X owner, I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on the D200. I may just need to get one of these as a backup.mwink.gif

I will be happy to let you know. I seek information from others and I am happy to return it when I have it.

I do not have access to a D2X to compare but I will try to figure out a way for you to get an accurate comparison.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Quick Analogy
    Getting new stuff is exciting for sure. But just remember, it's not the equipment that makes the photographer mwink.gif

sure helps though - the right tool for the right job. I don't think I could make an ornate rocking chair without a jigsaw. Although a pocket knife might be capable. - but a jigsaw doesn't make a carpenter, so it's true to an extent.
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
    edited March 10, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:

It's definitely bigger than the D2X when you put on the grip. I REALLY like it with the grip. I much prefer it and feel it makes it easier to hold...heavier but more balanced. Some feel the exact opposite. ne_nau.gif It's of course nice having a vertical shutter release and the extra batt...and nice to have AA's in emergency. The only thing I'd say is it's not rock solid on a tripod...meaning if you're going to mount the body to a pod at the base of the body rather than a lens then I'd remove the batt grip since it does have very minor flex. Overall I love it and I don't think it's cheap feeling at all...but there's plenty of others that seem to feel the opposite.
    Charles