Options

Reading Group for Photoshop Masking & Compositing

2»

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    I, for one, am still very interested, just way too busy to take it on right now.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I, for one, am still very interested, just way too busy to take it on right now.

Same here. I'm signed up for the chapter on the pen tool. I'm still excited about doing my write up, I just don't have the time to work on it right now. I think I'm going to have a chance to work on it next weekend.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited May 31, 2006
    I'll be very interested in your review of the Pen tool, Cletus.

The Pen tool is the most effective and accurate way to select protions of an image, but I still do not find it terribly user friendly even when I try to use it in lieu of other, easier tools.

I have been awaitng further discussion of this text. Interestingly, Mark Muench rated this book as one of the most important for a serious Photoshop user at the shootout.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2006
    Cletus,

Have you made any progress on Chapter 4 - the Pen Tool??

And how is Chapter 6 coming along, Yorkie Dad?

I am still waiting and eager to continue with this book. It is fundamental stuff, for first rate images.

• Options
    edited June 11, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Cletus,

Have you made any progress on Chapter 4 - the Pen Tool??

And how is Chapter 6 coming along, Yorkie Dad?

I am still waiting and eager to continue with this book. It is fundamental stuff, for first rate images.

It's been very, very slow, but there has been some progress. Still no ETA though.
  • Options
    imann08imann08 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    I am a new poster here. I just found the forum the other day. I have had this book for some time. It was the first among my collection of Eismann and Margulis books. The one thing that I have found is that many of these methods of selection can be done with the luminosity mask and blend if tool as long as you keep all colorspaces in your mind. I can't deny that I still love the book though. The chapter on masking hair may be the single most important chapter I've read in any book. The compositing chapters are extremely helpful if you need to do that.

I can say that knowing the pen tool has a lot to do with whether or not you know AI. If you do then you are already 75% ahead of the pack. If you don't, then it can be difficult to grasp. Once you do though it's a breeze for the most part.

BTW, My name is Isaac and I'm glad to meet you guys.
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    This is the master posting for the reading group for Katrin Eismann's book, Photoshop Masking & Compositing.

Hope this is on topic....

I don't know Eisman's books but have seen one in the shops which wasnt this one

I guess you guys recommend it so I'll go order it BUT can you tell me, should I get her other books, i.e.which ones are the latest and which ones to get

I just want to avoid duplicating info too much, so please recommend which of her books to get?

spanks!
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    imann08 wrote:
    I am a new poster here. I just found the forum the other day. I have had this book for some time. It was the first among my collection of Eismann and Margulis books. The one thing that I have found is that many of these methods of selection can be done with the luminosity mask and blend if tool as long as you keep all colorspaces in your mind. I can't deny that I still love the book though. The chapter on masking hair may be the single most important chapter I've read in any book. The compositing chapters are extremely helpful if you need to do that.

I can say that knowing the pen tool has a lot to do with whether or not you know AI. If you do then you are already 75% ahead of the pack. If you don't, then it can be difficult to grasp. Once you do though it's a breeze for the most part.

BTW, My name is Isaac and I'm glad to meet you guys.

Hello Isaac. Welcome to dgrin.

I agree that globally editing an image, without specific selections, ala Margulis, is vastly preferable. I try to do it whenever I can - working in Luminosity, or R,G,B C,M,Y,K, Blend If, as needed.

But sometimes, things are not that simple and we need to know how to do good selections.
    K Eisman's book is the best at how to really create and work on masks - she emphasizes that in Selections you cannot see the edges of the mask, but when you work on the selection as an alpha channel you can actually see the edges of the selection and can then alter them as needed.

I hope to get this book review in motion again this fall, as I still am very interested in finishing it.

• Options
    h20h20 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 24, 2006
    Hello, everyone!

I, too am fairly new here but I do appreciate the time spent sharing the Eismann book chapter by chapter. I just hope you guys carry this through to the end as this is the only way I could learn about this highly recommmended book. I do have a little working knowledge of Photoshop and AI but often times I need to learn and re-learn as I fall into the habit also not practicing for long periods of time.

Thanks and Best!
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2006
    h20 wrote:
    I just hope you guys carry this through to the end...

Howdy h20 wave.gif welcome to dgrin!

I too hope the reading group continues. I'm responsable for the pen tool chapter and that is where things have stalled. I'm finally getting a little bit of time to work on my write-up. I hope to have something soon.