H.A.Y.W.I.R.E. contest..

MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
edited March 8, 2006 in Finishing School
A local band called H.A.Y.W.I.R.E. provided the following image to be colored as part of a contest. I have up till now not really considered myself that good with Photoshop.. And I am not going to wow anyone who is extremely proficient with it.. But so far, the band is saying that my colorization seems to be in the lead to win the contest.. Its a little unfinished looking, but I am going to keep working on it here and there until it is perfect, so they can use it on their shirts..

First the uncolored original:

Comments

• MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    The colored version
    This is the colored version of the image. I tried to remain faithful to the color and mood of the bands makeup and masks on the stage. I realize there are some rough/uncolored spots in it, but how do you think it came out as an overall concept?

MainFragger/Brian
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    ...but how do you think it came out as an overall concept?

MainFragger/Brian

thumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 7, 2006
    While Andy and I were walking the floor at PMA, we ran across Bert Monroy giving a demo of the new Logitech NuLooq.

For his demo, he was using a painted shot called "Oakland". Until I said "nice
    photo", I never realized it was a photoshop painting.

I think this looks good. Thanks for posting this example of photoshop painting!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    Workflow...
    Just to give some insight into what I did..

For my initial dry run of coloring, I decided which areas would be which colors, played around the with color palette a little, and then selected and filled each area. After that I filled them in the best that my limited patience allowed me to do switching between the brush or pencil depending on how much control I needed to fill in an area.

From there, I used gradients on the white mask, background and floor, and silvery looking objects.

I then added textures to some of the clothes on the Demon and to the background.

I used the plastic filter on the white mask, the red section of the red guittarr, and the black outfit on the lead singer. I am also considering doing that to the black portion of the drums to give them some shine/reflectiveness.

I took a picture of goldstone that I took a long time ago, reduced it in resolution, copied it, and then selected the inner portion of the demons guittarr and filled into selection..

I then felt that the purple on the lead singer's face looked too clean, and same with the skin on the green monster on the right side of the picture, so I drew a darker purple line in to divide the singers face, and then added gausian noise to give it more of a wierd skin look. I also added gausian noise at a different setting to the Green Monster..

I'm still not totally sure how I feel about the background. I might still take that out, and take a picture of some flames and paste it back in. I also am toying with the idea of somehow fitting the pentacle picture I posted on here in there somewhere too.

MainFragger/Brian