Options

How wrong can you be....

HighlanderHighlander Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited March 10, 2006 in Dgrin Forum Support
I thought this forum seemed very friendly, and worth registering on for help in improving my photographic skills.
I mentioned in my first post how impressed I was with the tutorials on LAB and stand by that. However, to say that I am disappointed with the response to my first posts would be an understatement.
To the 4 members who took the trouble to respond, a warm thank you, to the remaining 6500+ members - thanks for nothing.

Why bother encouraging 'Lurkers' to 'de-lurk' if you're intent on ignoring them? :dunno

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Highlander wrote:
    I thought this forum seemed very friendly, and worth registering on for help in improving my photographic skills.
    I mentioned in my first post how impressed I was with the tutorials on LAB and stand by that. However, to say that I am disappointed with the response to my first posts would be an understatement.
    To the 4 members who took the trouble to respond, a warm thank you, to the remaining 6500+ members - thanks for nothing.

Why bother encouraging 'Lurkers' to 'de-lurk' if you're intent on ignoring them? ne_nau.gif
    Hi higlander, I'm sorry you feel this way.

Personally, i haven't commented on your photos simply because i had not seen them before. I don't check all the forums, or i have my moods where i check a certain forum more than others.

But remember this is also a get what you give kind of thing. I see you have not commented on any of the photos published by others. Why not? maybe the same reason that others haven't commented on yours. Write some posts so people get you know you.

Anyway, i hope you decide to stay, and post some more thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Hi higlander, I'm sorry you feel this way.

Personally, i haven't commented on your photos simply because i had not seen them before. I don't check all the forums, or i have my moods where i check a certain forum more than others.

But remember this is also a get what you give kind of thing. I see you have not commented on any of the photos published by others. Why not? maybe the same reason that others haven't commented on yours. Write some posts so people get you know you.

Anyway, i hope you decide to stay, and post some more thumb.gif

Thanks for the reply, Ivar and I appreciate what you're saying. Perhaps I should not have posted any images so soon.
    As a very new member I was somewhat daunted by the expertise shown in the tutorials and wanted to see what people thought of some of my favourite shots. Hoping that I might be encourgared to voice my views of others work.

I certainly wouldn't expect everyone to reply - this is a huge site and we'd all need 48 hour days to cover all the posts:):

I just felt that given the number of viewings, some of them could have just said hello, even if they thought my images were rubbish, they didn't need to pass comment!
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Highlander,

I can relate to your comment a little bit. My first post was a print for critique and comment. I was disappointed that virtually no one responded. And I felt a little left out of the club for awhile while I was posting.

I do try to do a "welcome" post when I notice someone new but sometimes miss some posts. And I tend to watch certain forums . . . I'm a little less interested in the landscapes and birds (that last statement could be considered blasphemy with centain folks around here!).

One more thing, there may 6500 dgrin members but it seems a core group of a hundred or so make most of the noise.

Anyway, hang around and keep posting. Maybe you just caught everyone around here on a bad few days.

And I did notice your Scotish Highlands shots and liked both of them. I love "soft" ocean surf shots. thumb.gif I know that there was a "little bit too blue" comment. But I liked the cool cast to the shot. I might have desired just a little more contrast or possibly color saturation in the foreground rocks.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited March 7, 2006
    Highlander,

I can relate to your comment a little bit. My first post was a print for critique and comment. I was disappointed that virtually no one responded. And I felt a little left out of the club for awhile while I was posting.

I do try to do a "welcome" post when I notice someone new but sometimes miss some posts. And I tend to watch certain forums . . . I'm a little less interested in the landscapes and birds (that last statement could be considered blasphemy with centain folks around here!).

One more thing, there may 6500 dgrin members but it seems a core group of a hundred or so make most of the noise.

Anyway, hang around and keep posting. Maybe you just caught everyone around here on a bad few days.

And I did notice your Scotish Highlands shots and liked both of them. I love "soft" ocean surf shots. thumb.gif I know that there was a "little bit too blue" comment. But I liked the cool cast to the shot. I might have desired just a little more contrast or possibly color saturation in the foreground rocks.

Thanks for your views and comments John.

I take your point about the 6500+ members, its just that it seemed to rub salt in the wound, such a huge membership and so few responses!

Thanks again.:):
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Hi Highlander and welcome! It appears both you and I joined around the same time. First of all, let me say that I think both your shots are lovely. thumb.gif The blue casting does not bother me in the least, it might even add to the experience. I like the lighting in your other shot. I saw your shots when passing through...but it is not possible to comment on every thread you visit, or you won't begin to see them all. I have made an attempt to search out a few "newbies" like ourselves in my daily postings. I have spent a great deal of time posting comments (notice my 146 vs. your 9 in just one more week of time being a member!) trying to "earn my wings" so to speak and become an active member, as I believe that is the way to get feedback posted to your own threads. Hey...if I "compliment" you, wouldn't you be likely to at least look at my threads when you see my name come up? I think so. Anyway, don't give up and don't be too sensitive. Afterall, we are all hear to LEARN and even no C&C can make you look at your own work and think "what could I have done better?" Even if the more experienced dgrinners have not offered advice, you can still benefit from throwing your work out there and challenging yourself to do better.:D
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Hi Highlander and welcome! It appears both you and I joined around the same time. First of all, let me say that I think both your shots are lovely. thumb.gif The blue casting does not bother me in the least, it might even add to the experience. I like the lighting in your other shot. I saw your shots when passing through...but it is not possible to comment on every thread you visit, or you won't begin to see them all. I have made an attempt to search out a few "newbies" like ourselves in my daily postings. I have spent a great deal of time posting comments (notice my 146 vs. your 9 in just one more week of time being a member!) trying to "earn my wings" so to speak and become an active member, as I believe that is the way to get feedback posted to your own threads. Hey...if I "compliment" you, wouldn't you be likely to at least look at my threads when you see my name come up? I think so. Anyway, don't give up and don't be too sensitive. Afterall, we are all hear to LEARN and even no C&C can make you look at your own work and think "what could I have done better?" Even if the more experienced dgrinners have not offered advice, you can still benefit from throwing your work out there and challenging yourself to do better.:D

Thanks for the wise words Saurora, and the kind comments:):
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 7, 2006
    I'm supposed to be a moderator and keep my comments warm and fuzzy all the time.
    So, Highlander, welcome aboard and please keep posting more photos!
    :D

However, didn't you answer your own question with your very own observation?
    Highlander wrote:
    So you didn't get ignored, you got at least 4 comments. That's not so bad. Do you have any idea how many completely orphaned threads we as moderators try and draw attention to on a daily basis? Not every thread and every photo posted can expect to get pages upon pages of comments. A bit of patience and diligence, my friend, goes a long way.

You're obviously talking about your Scottish highlands photos? Here's my take on why you received "only" 4 comments. The photos were quite lovely landscapes, don't get me wrong, I looked, thought about Scotland and moved on. But, to be honest, there was nothing terribly striking or unique about them in a forum filled with very nice landscapes. Secondly, if you really want particular feedback - ask for it! Once again, think about how many posts 6500 members generate. You said "any advice would be appreciated". I challenge you to be a little more bold and specific: "I'm looking for advice on how to make the shadows behind those rocks pop" or something like that. If you can handle it naughty.gif
    Make sense?

I feel like I'm trying to talk down a jumper here! lol3.gif

Seriously, nice shots, keep posting, but relax a bit. This thread seems like a lot of drama from someone of only 1 month and 10 posts, yeah?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    May I also add that one generally gets what he gives. Meaning, post pics but don't expect all the attention to just fall on your lap. If you want people to start commenting on your stuff, you need to comment on other people's stuff. This is an online community. Love thy neighbor!
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2006
    BTW, maybe this will help generate more comments to your photo thread...

which you didn't even link yet!!

GO HERE FOLKS: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=28995

wave.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 7, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    BTW, maybe this will help generate more comments to your photo thread...

which you didn't even link yet!!

GO HERE FOLKS: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=28995

wave.gif

Well I certainly rattled your cage, didn't I?
    I didn't start this post as an advertisement for my images.
  • Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    I'm a little less interested in the landscapes and birds (that last statement could be considered blasphemy with centain folks around here!).

Blasphemer, unholy one, you Evil Person mwink.gif. :D

I'm just kidding of course. Everyone has their own taste. I am the opposite, I have little interest in shots of people and have a great interest in birds/nature and some interest in landscapes. You will rarely see me in the people forum, however I try and reply to every post in the nature forum. But, sometimes I'm in a hurry and don't have time to reply to every post.

Several other posters have also brought up a key topic here. It is not fair to expect replies when you haven't taken the time to reply to other posters pictures. :nono

Sorry, a little ventin there.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2006
    Highlander wrote:
    Well I certainly rattled your cage, didn't I?
    I didn't start this post as an advertisement for my images.
    No, but you did start a thread about how disappointed you were and how you were being ignored... a bit of rattling is what the Dr orders for a case like this.
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 7, 2006
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Several other posters have also brought up a key topic here. It is not fair to expect replies when you haven't taken the time to reply to other posters pictures. :nono
    Exactly, as Andy has posted right on the dgrin challenges forum:
    you gotta give to get.
    Erik

• Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Highlander wrote:

Why bother encouraging 'Lurkers' to 'de-lurk' if you're intent on ignoring them? ne_nau.gif

As a bod from Edinburgh I should have answered a fellow Coutryman I suppose...
    :tough

But then again after another look I'm still not sure what to say. Get up at 6am and shoot some Scottish sunrise castle stuff or I'll blow you a Glasgow kiss...

In your first shot the mountain has more prominance than Loch Ewe, is that it in the bottom right hand corner? I'd look for somthing like a small tree to place in the foreground to lead you into the landscape.
    Colour has been covered and other than that I'd look again for a nice sea view to shoot at sunrise or sunset. You can drive accross Scotland and catch both on the same day if your feeling like a day out.

Welcome aboard and just keep posting. thumb.gif

:hide
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    8 days...

11 posts...

5 out of 11 in this thread alone...

ne_nau.gif

I watch\lurk\participate in a total of four photo type sites *almost* daily. By far this is the tightest, friendliest and usually the most helpful of them all. I have NEVER seen ANYONE get a 'bum' ride. Many have deserved one in my opinion, and even they have gotten the benefit of the doubt in spades. I honestly think you are asking a bit much from this community for such a short time on board. And, as has been said, there may be 6500 members on the roster, but certainly most probably don't even lurk on a regular basis.

You live in such an interesting and beautiful part of the world, and could contribute so much to our community, don't run the risk of loosing that opportunity to share AND to receive by copping an attitude this early in the game!

With that out of the way...

Welcome to dgrin thumb.gif

Your shots are pretty good. I prefer the second one, although the lighting in the first is pretty awesome. I like the detail in the rocks in the first and the way you were able to convey the 'feel' of the place. The title of the first shot confuses me a bit, 'Loch Ewe' but I can't see the loch?

It certainly looks like you know what you are doing with the landscapes, and I will try and lookout for your posts in the future, although I lean more toward the sports and people forums.

Take care and good light,

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    wave.gif Welcome to Dgrin, Highlander - you'll find us a friendly lot, for sure. It takes a bit of time to get used to the swing of things. And remember, that not everyone will post a comment, though many will enjoy your photographs! I see as of right now, your thread has over 200 views - that's a lot of folks that you're sharing with!

Over time, you'll appreciate the value of a drop-in, as much as a comment, as much as a quick thumb.gif, as well as the deep critique.

I hope you stick around and become a contributing member of Dgrin!

All the best,
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2006
    Highlander wrote:
    or help in improving my photographic skills.

Have you checked out the hall of wisdom, and also our tutorials/how-to site?

http://dgrin.smugmug.com

wave.gif
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm supposed to be a moderator and keep my comments warm and fuzzy all the time.
    ...........................You said "any advice would be appreciated". I challenge you to be a little more bold and specific: "I'm looking for advice on how to make the shadows behind those rocks pop" or something like that. If you can handle it naughty.gif
    Seriously, nice shots, keep posting, but relax a bit. This thread seems like a lot of drama from someone of only 1 month and 10 posts, yeah?

Well that was certainly warm and fuzzy thumb.gif

Highlander, welcome and don't get discouraged. Not all post receive the replies you think they should. But 4 replies seems great. Remember, if someone views a post and another poster replied with the same basic thoughts they probably will not reply "since the comments have already been posted". JAT

Hey, I've ended more threads than I care to count.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif Very good point above regarding comments already posted. I know I have not responded due to other threads due to that very reason. This is a very helpful and caring community, (which should be obvious to you by now!!) so stick around and let us all be jealous of you having Scotland as your backyard!!! :D
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    :wow Let's see
    Loves Photography
    Loves the act of creating a vision
    an artist at heart
    wants recognition
    Hmmm
    and slightly over sensitive

Sounds a lot like me too, listen my best advice do what I did enjoy your love and share more then less.

Sounds pretty Sappy eek7.gif1drink.gifD

Oh I forgot there have been two (yes I checked :D) disenters of late
    2 out of 6800 ne_nau.gif good average I think rolleyes1.gif :lol4

Man I getta get out more ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    I just read the whole thread. That took some time. (Shows I care, right?)

I agree with all the above comments. There are lots of members here. The more members, the more posts, the more to see and read. It all takes time.

My best advice: stick around, be patient, keep posting, keep commenting on other's posts. What goes around comes around.

I like what I've seen. I'm interested in seeing more. I have never been to Scotland and would love to go there. Tempt me some more.

Thanks for sharing.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    ...under 10 posts & you howl over just getting 4 replies then throw all your toys at the 6500 other members ...honestly...grow up !!

That is what i would consider a great start in a new forum.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2006
    OK - I was wrong - Clearly from the responses to this thread you do care about your community.

I APOLOGISE.

To Bodwick I would say that the concept of head butts over the ether may have its merits, but I doubt it will catch on :):

Having alienated a number of members including at least one moderator, I think I've done enough damage, so I'll just wish you a continued productive community.
    Bye
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    You posted that you wanted attention. You got attention and now you're leaving? Is it your mission in life to stir pots or something?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2006
    Highlander wrote:
    OK - I was wrong - Clearly from the responses to this thread you do care about your community.

I APOLOGISE.

To Bodwick I would say that the concept of head butts over the ether may have its merits, but I doubt it will catch on :):

Having alienated a number of members including at least one moderator, I think I've done enough damage, so I'll just wish you a continued productive community.
    Bye

There's no worries mate - just post and we'd love to see your photos and your contributions. deal.gif
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    Highlander wrote:
    Bye

Lighten up!

If the post here make you think the members are pi$$ed at you then they must REALLY hate me considering some of the responses I get. rolleyes1.gif But I'll not let the B'tards run me off thumb.gif

It's really a great place - the best I've found. Just the fact they attempt to control Trolls is a huge bonus. Even though I'm severely out-classed by most of them they still respond and truly try to help.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    Highlander wrote:

I APOLOGISE.

Bye

lol...Now now, don't run away. I'm north every year and constantly fail to get the sort of pic's I'm after. I'd love to see your pic's grow into something great.
    I tend to go fishing more than taking pic's, priorities, if your a fisherman you'll know what I mean...

I'm from Mussleborough via the African gold mines and would suggest you never give up and never surrender.

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    Dang, fastest head explosion I've ever seen! Bugger's already removed his photos. Bummer, I'd missed them earlier.

Highlander, lots of folks do what I do - they hit the New Stuff button and cruise through the new posts. Sometimes stufff slips thru the cracks, as yours did. Just give your thread a bump if you want folks to see your stuff. And as has been said before, take the time to give as well as to receive.

I feel like I'm talking into a vacuum. lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I feel like I'm talking into a vacuum. lol3.gif

He took his marbles and ran? Sheesh.
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    They were nice pictures. I had them tagged to comment on (and wanted to say more than "nice pictures"), but somehow my spare time went black hole again. I just came out of that, and am trying to grasp my breath. And try to work up some pictures of my own to put up (been far too long since I did just that). And give more. And paint the house. And clean my desk. And take the car to the garage. And commute. And work. And eat. And sleep less. And.... man, where's that 48h day when you need it. I sense another black hole coming up.
    enjoy being here while getting there