Small bug

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited March 11, 2006 in Holy Macro
Some shots of a barklouse nymph on the underside of a leaf- pretty sure it's responsible for all the mess. Bug is 1.8mm long - shot at 3.4:1.
Last 2 pics are cross-eye stereograms for those that can view them.
Brian V.

109184967_50353670c2_o.jpg

109184966_c4280ed882_o.jpg

109184968_8c41483a02_o.jpg

109184969_c129c18345_o.jpg

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 7, 2006
    Very neat little guy! You need to start submitting this tiny stuff to Nikon Small World. I'm pretty sure that 3.4:1, you're creeping up on the microscopy range.

Reminds me a bit of this years winner:

1st2005small.jpg
    2005: Charles Krebs (click for link)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Very cool macros
    How long has he been there ?
    Judgeing from that mess it's been a month or two
    Part I can't figure out is if he is under the leaf how did the poop fall up ne_nau.gif

Good job Brian

Thanks
    Fred
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Very neat little guy! You need to start submitting this tiny stuff to Nikon Small World. I'm pretty sure that 3.4:1, you're creeping up on the microscopy range.
    Thanks DoctorIt.
    Think that pic is an equipment level above mine:)
    Brian V.
    edited March 7, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    Very cool macros
    How long has he been there ?
    Judgeing from that mess it's been a month or two
    Part I can't figure out is if he is under the leaf how did the poop fall up ne_nau.gif

Good job Brian

Thanks
    Fred

Thanks Fred.
    Interesting question you raise. This is on the back of an Ivy leaf which normally point downwards. I suspect it's the aftermath of an egg nest and there were several nymphs with adults for a while- they tend to spin fine webbing across small areas. Anway I can only assume out of courtesy to others, they touch the leaf with the end of their abdomen when dropping these and they just stick :)
    Brian V.
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    very cool shots. cant believe you noticed it being so small!

i can barely view the stereo grams, my monitor isnt big enough to be able to show them side by side in a smaller image. my eyes almost got stuck going crosseyed :uhoh

hah
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    great macros as usual intresting insect
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited March 8, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    very cool shots. cant believe you noticed it being so small!

i can barely view the stereo grams, my monitor isnt big enough to be able to show them side by side in a smaller image. my eyes almost got stuck going crosseyed :uhoh

hah
    I'm getting quite good at spotting these small bugs when nothing bigger is about :)

You can find smaller versions of the 3-D shots here if they are easier.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordv/sets/1571779/
    Brian V.
    edited March 8, 2006
    great macros as usual intresting insect
    Thanks Awais, obviously little guys like this don't quite attract the attention some of the bigger bugs get :)
    Brian V.
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    Cool shots LV. It's getting warmer around here, so I've revived my macro setup. I just got some Kenko extension rings, so hopefully I'll be able to try some of the high ratio stuff.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited March 8, 2006
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Cool shots LV. It's getting warmer around here, so I've revived my macro setup. I just got some Kenko extension rings, so hopefully I'll be able to try some of the high ratio stuff.
    Thanks Thomas
    I managed to find bugs somewhere or another most of the winter- they just got smaller though.
    You'll have fun with the ETs- seems to get lots more detail between 1:1 and 2:1.
    Brian V.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 8, 2006
    Lord V.,

Very cool indeed. Also a little spooky, with the translucent bodies and visible innards and such.

Will you try to get one when it has matured?

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 8, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Lord V.,

Very cool indeed. Also a little spooky, with the translucent bodies and visible innards and such.

Will you try to get one when it has matured?

Thanks,

ziggy53
    Thanks Ziggy53
    Already have some shots of the adult- doesn't look amazingly different- just bigger wings. Body length about 2mm.
    Brian V.

104683314_aaf6928351_o.jpg
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    very neat! pretty messy for such a little thing!!!
    tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
    edited March 9, 2006
    Tessa HD wrote:
    tessa
    Thanks Tessa- think there must have been a family there at one stage and this is the last one left :)
    Brian V.
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    EYOWeek7.gif That is some bug and some shot!clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 9, 2006
    Thanks Ziggy53
    Already have some shots of the adult- doesn't look amazingly different- just bigger wings. Body length about 2mm.
    Brian V.

Thanks Brian,

That makes a very neat comparison. I especially like those three sensors between the eyes. Insects are very complicated little beasties.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Awwww He's Cute
    Some shots of a barklouse nymph on the underside of a leaf- pretty sure it's responsible for all the mess. Bug is 1.8mm long - shot at 3.4:1.
    Last 2 pics are cross-eye stereograms for those that can view them.
    Brian V.

Gawwwwwd Brian he is soooooo tiny eek7.gif and he does look cross-eyed but cute rolleyes1.gif he's gorgeous iloveyou.gif I want one :D

I so have to get my Microscope out and see if any of my lenses will attach to it......they should....... it's just getting the time to do it, my job consumes most of my time unfortunately.

Excellent work from you yet again Brian, keep them coming thumb.gif
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited March 10, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    EYOWeek7.gif That is some bug and some shot!clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Thanks Thusie,
    As I found out recently practicing shots on these tiny bugs has suddenly made what were last years tiny bugs (eg ants) all of a sudden huge :)
    Brian V.
    edited March 10, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Gawwwwwd Brian he is soooooo tiny eek7.gif and he does look cross-eyed but cute rolleyes1.gif he's gorgeous iloveyou.gif I want one :D

I so have to get my Microscope out and see if any of my lenses will attach to it......they should....... it's just getting the time to do it, my job consumes most of my time unfortunately.

Excellent work from you yet again Brian, keep them coming thumb.gif
    Skippy (Australia)
    Ah work - does tend to get in the way-one of the advantages of being retired :)
    I suspect you would find these little things all over the place- they seem to like the underside of ivy leaves for example.
    Brian V.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Wow
    I'm getting quite good at spotting these small bugs when nothing bigger is about :)

You can find smaller versions of the 3-D shots here if they are easier.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordv/sets/1571779/
    Brian V.

How do you set the photos up for this... the smaller versions worked perfectly, how neat! I used to play games crossing my eyes when I was way much younger...
    edited March 11, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    How do you set the photos up for this... the smaller versions worked perfectly, how neat! I used to play games crossing my eyes when I was way much younger...
    Very easy to do.
    Just take one pic and then move the camera laterally about 1/30th of the subject distance and take another pic. For macro shots like this it means the camera movement is actually quite small.
    I then use a freeware programme (stereophotomaker) to align the pictures properly (it's fairly important that the elements in the both pictures are horizontally aligned). Just have to remember that the picture that was taken on the left is swapped over to the right in the final pairing to make it a cross-eye stereogram. :):
    Brian V.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2006
    Thanks for the info,
    but Stereophoto Maker is NOT available for the Mac.

I just can't anticipate trying these unless the subject is not moving.

Google turned up this for the Mac StereoPress http://www2.pair.com/%7Eshuono/tools/StereoPress/StereoPress_Abstruct_e.shtml

I haven't tried it, but for any Mac users it might be worth a look.
    edited March 11, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    but Stereophoto Maker is NOT available for the Mac.

I just can't anticipate trying these unless the subject is not moving.

Google turned up this for the Mac StereoPress http://www2.pair.com/%7Eshuono/tools/StereoPress/StereoPress_Abstruct_e.shtml

I haven't tried it, but for any Mac users it might be worth a look.
    Hi Dee- have a suspicion that it is for anaglyph or interleave 3-D pics rather than alignment. You can do the alignment in PS which is how I used to do it.
    Brian V.